Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld axis, Iran, and US foreign policy

sumac

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 12:02 pm
http://www.newyorker.com/printables/fact/060710fa_fact

Seymour Hersch

Read it as a basis for starting a discussion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 683 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Kara

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 06:23 pm
I read this piece yesterday. One must read the whole thing, but here is a sample from partway through:

Quote:
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 06:30 pm
It does appear that the military is flexing its' muscles in a tad more independent manner, particularly in light of the military's authoritarian organizational structure.

And it appears that they are all talking with one another. Retired with active, active with active. This has to be a good thing.

Hersch appears to have the confidence of a great many of inside, informed people. I hung on every word of the "Pentagon consultant" or "government consultant with ties to Pentagon civilian officers".

I do hope that a lot of people read the piece.

It also highlights how the Bush administration has changed its tune from a go it alone if necessary, cowboy (or outlaw?) approach, to more of a team member prepared to compromise. Better late than never, I suppose.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 07:35 am
bookmark
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 10:59 am
I gather they had to give in about using nukes and they say that they will go to negotiations with China and Russia but not unless Iran stops all uranium enrichment activities first, in other words Iran conceding the negotiations before they start the negotiations. Typical, I hope everything else don't go as typical or else the administration will ignore the saner heads and go ahead and bomb Iran and then Iran will come over the border into Iraq and Afghanistan. Chances are we won't even know where they are anyway.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 05:33 am
Hi Sumac

That was a very interesting article by Hersch, thanks for posting it.

It doesnt fill one with confidence though, especially in the light of what's going on in Lebanon.

We see the same tactic employed everytime when a military strike is planned.

Make an offer of talks that you know will be rejected. How ridiculous to make conditions about Iran's nuclear fuel cycle, when that was the main subject of negotiations.

He did the same with Saddam. Saddam had to "prove" that he didnt have[/i] any wmd. Not every one is dumb enough to fall for that. Its not possible to prove a negative.

The Israelis wont consider prisoner exchange...or rather they will providing it comprises Hezbollah returning their soldiers, and Israel not returning any of the Palestinians and others they hold.

The casual observer might think these positions quite reasonable, expecially when given the usual media gloss.
0 Replies