Robert Novak,Traitor to His Country;Traitor to His Professio

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 08:08 am
Robert Novak, Traitor to His Country; Traitor to His Profession
by Eric Alterman

The upshot here appears to be that Novak lied to everyone in order to betray his country on behalf of Rove and company. First he revealed the name of an active CIA officer, blowing any and all operations with which she has ever been involved, costing the country millions, and possibly endangering lives despite the specific request from the agency that he not do so. That's all here.

Harlow, the former CIA spokesman, said in an interview yesterday that he testified last year before a grand jury about conversations he had with Novak at least three days before the column was published. He said he warned Novak, in the strongest terms he was permitted to use without revealing classified information, that Wilson's wife had not authorized the mission and that if he did write about it, her name should not be revealed.

Harlow said that after Novak's call, he checked Plame's status and confirmed that she was an undercover operative. He said he called Novak back to repeat that the story Novak had related to him was wrong and that Plame's name should not be used. But he did not tell Novak directly that she was undercover because that was classified.

Next, he played Joan of Arc by insisting he would never reveal the names of his sources to Mr. Fitzgerald while simultaneously doing just that. Why in the world is The Washington Post continuing to stand by this scoundrel? Is it all because he's a member of the club and insiders protect their own? It worked for Kim Philby and I'm beginning to think it's working here too.

On a historical note, Novak's most consequential story before this one was the one that sunk George McGovern's 1972 candidacy in which he quoted one of the senator's Democratic colleagues as insisting that his campaign stood for "the three As: acid, abortion and amnesty." The quote wouldn't have mattered had it come from Nixon, but the fact that it was sourced to a Democratic senator, made the charge stick, as incredibly unfair as it was to bona fide prairie liberal and heroic World War II fighter pilot. Almost everyone familiar with the incident believed the source was Henry "Scoop" Jackson. But McGovern told me that he asked Jackson and the man swore it was not so. And if it were Jackson, then Novak's pledge of confidentiality would have been released when he died. But Novak still will not reveal his source. We know he does reveal his sources when it suits his purposes; not only to Mr. Fitzgerald but also in the case of the former FBI agent Robert Hanssen, after Hanssen was arrested for spying. Why? Because, Novak wrote, "To be honest to my readers, I must reveal it. Honest with his readers? What was the name of that Buddy Holly song again? So the fact that he won't finger this one leads me to a conclusion I've always suspected: Novak probably made it up. The man's self justification is here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 454 • Replies: 11
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 08:12 am
Alterman obviously has lost all sense of perspective. I am sure he wishes he ahd broke the story instead of Novak. What a whiner.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 08:23 am
His is an interesting perspective. I wonder if he feels the same way about the NY Times and how they leak critical information?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 09:58 am
woiyo wrote:
His is an interesting perspective. I wonder if he feels the same way about the NY Times and how they leak critical information?

Don't you know that only the NYT can publish classified material? If someone who isn't liberal does it then that is a big no no in their book. I don't know how many stories have been leaked and how much of or tracking abilities have been harmed it was ok for the liberal media to do it. They have asked that Novak be shot or put into jail. If Cheney did leak the name then that is bad because he is Cheney. When the liberal media leaks things and it is from "anonymous" sources then don't you dare look for them because the press has the right to keep that stuff secret, they just don't have to keep the real secret stuff secret that is fair game.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 11:09 pm
Bumble Bee, if there was a crime here, why hasn't Fitzgerald filed charges? He's been on this for 2 1/2 years for crying out loud. And if Plames employment at the CIA was so secret, why did Harlow confirm she worked there to begin with? And if she was covert, then why not tell Novak? How else is Novak supposed to know she is covert if she was?

This story gets more bizarre as it goes. Bumble bee, give it up, the story is not going to go anywhere, never was, and never will. The next big move for the Wilson's appetite for fame is to write books and file the stupid lawsuit.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 08:49 am
Novak Memoir: Armitage Wanted Plame Named
Another example of scumbag Novak's self-serving lies to sell books.
---BBB

Novak Memoir: Armitage Wanted Plame Named
Robert Novak
By E&P Staff
Published: July 08, 2007

CHICAGO - When Richard Armitage told columnist Robert D. Novak that Valerie Plame worked for the CIA, both men understood without saying a word that the deputy secretary of state wanted to see the information appear in the nationally syndicated column, Novak writes in his new memoir, which was excerpted Sunday in the Chicago Sun-Times.

In an excerpt from the first chapter of "The Prince of Darkness: 50 Years of Reporting In Washington," Novak portrays the meeting as a series of nudge-nudge, wink-wink exchanges in which the rules and goals were unstated, but unmistakable.

Novak famously remained silent -- and in no apparent legal trouble -- while the nation speculated about the source of leak, two nationally prominent journalists were threatened with imprisonment for refusing to disclose the source of their reporting on Plame, and New York Times reporter Judith Miller eventually spent 85 days in jail.

In his memoirs, Novak repeats his explanation that he stayed silent at the request of special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald, and because of "the journalist's code" to protect sources.

"After Patrick Fitzgerald, the U.S. attorney in Chicago named as a special prosecutor in the case, indicated to me he knew Armitage was my source, I cooperated fully with him," Novak writes. "At the special prosecutor's request and on my lawyers' advice, I kept silent about this -- a silence that subjected me to much abuse. I was urged by several friends, including some journalists, to give up my source's name. But I felt bound by the journalist's code to protect his identity."

But Novak also says that there was no explicit agreement with Armitage when the two met July 7, 2003.

"Neither of us set ground rules for my visit," he writes. "I assumed, however, that what Armitage said would not be attributed to him but would not be off the record. That is, I could write about information he gave me but would not identify him by name. During a long career, I had come to appreciate that sort of thing in countless interviews without putting it into so many words. I viewed what Armitage told me to be just as privileged as if he had made me swear a blood oath."

Similarly, when Novak asked Armitage why Plame's husband, former diplomat Joseph Wilson, was asked to investigate claims, later refuted, that Saddam Hussein's Iraq had sought to buy uranium in Africa, the signal to print the item was done in an understood Washington insider's code, the memoir says.

"Armitage smiled and said: 'That's real Evans and Novak, isn't it?'" Novak writes. "I believe he meant that was the kind of inside information that my late partner, Rowland Evans, and I had featured in our column for so long. I interpreted that as meaning Armitage expected to see the item published in my column."

The topic of Plame's CIA employment took "no more than 60 seconds" of the meeting, Novak adds.

"Prince of Darkness," published by Crown Forum, a division of Random House Inc., will be released officially on Tuesday.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 08:55 am
How do you know he is telling a lie?

Were you at the meeting also?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 09:02 am
woiyo
woiyo wrote:

Novak has a long history as a world class liar and of interpreting other people's unspoken intentions that serve his mission of media mouthpiece for the Republican Party. His claims about Armitage's intentions are contrary to Armitage's under oath testimony and description of events.

BBB
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:32 am
Re: woiyo
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Novak has a long history as a world class liar and of interpreting other people's unspoken intentions that serve his mission of media mouthpiece for the Republican Party. His claims about Armitage's intentions are contrary to Armitage's under oath testimony and description of events.

BBB

So you were not there. You can not know if he is telling the truth or not. Maybe Armitrage lied under oath.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:33 am
Re: woiyo
woiyo wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
woiyo wrote:

BBB

So you were not there. You can not know if he is telling the truth or not. Maybe Armitrage lied under oath.

Novak only changed his story about 5 times on what happened. He doesn't have any credibility at all.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 11:18 am
Then get the great Fitz to indict him for perjury, cyclops.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 11:35 am
okie wrote:
Then get the great Fitz to indict him for perjury, cyclops.

Yeah, I'll make a phone call and get right on that Rolling Eyes

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies