drag out the bathing suits

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 11:27 am
Here it is folks. The long awaited best beaches in the U. S. ratings are finally in:

Top Stories - Reuters

Hawaii's Kaanapali Beach Tops 'Best in U.S.' List
Fri May 23,12:43 AM ET Add Top Stories - Reuters to My Yahoo!

MIAMI (Reuters) - Hawaii's Kaanapali Beach topped this year's list of "America's Best Beaches," released on Friday by a coastal scientist who lauded its white coral sand and clear emerald-green waters.

The 3-mile beach on the dry and sunny side of Maui earned the No. 1 spot on the annual list compiled by Dr. Stephen Leatherman, director of Florida International University's Laboratory for Coastal Research.

Leatherman, nicknamed "Dr. Beach," has taken on the enviable task of visiting beaches nationwide and ranking them on 50 criteria that include sand and water quality, water temperature, absence of litter and balance between nature and man-made amenities.

Kaanapali is one of four Hawaiian beaches to make the top 10, and the seventh Hawaiian beach to win top honors in the past eight years.

Rounding out this year's list are No 2. Florida's Fort DeSoto Park; 3. North Carolina's Ocracoke Island; 4. Hawaii's Hanalei Bay; 5. Florida's Caladesi Island State Park; 6. New York's Main Beach in East Hampton; 7. Hawaii's Makalawena Beach; 8. Hawaii's Hanauma Bay; 9. Florida's Cape Florida State Park and 10. Cape Hatteras in North Carolina.

Leatherman, who holds a doctorate in environmental sciences, released the rankings for the upcoming Memorial Day weekend, which traditionally kicks off the U.S. summer beach season.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,109 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 10:41 pm
Yah see? Cocoa Beach wasn't even mentioned, and it is one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen!

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0XgDiAigcKTYmoYiVVpLUTpqOSaaIG!ieFy2Fsdf7YPYl7PFt4z6R!NgufswKgda52MH*BGfoeps9J*MyGKVb32iss7bGS5PpVYUQbWD1BHaQ6*jdpIdfQgX*np6tLengm17sbATmFfU/My-Florida-Beaches-056.jpg?dc=4675423182288832149
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 06:25 am
Hi Misti. I'll latch onto the offender and hit him with phasers on stun until he corrects that grievous error.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 08:23 am
My idea of the perfect beach is any beach with sand that's whiter than I am.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 01:25 pm
Wow! Bob, What happened to Daytona Beach? (The World's Most Famous Beach) However, Ocracoke is breathtaking, although the islanders aren't very friendly, and the ocean off Hatteras is wild and wooly, but a lot of history lies beneath the sea.

Misti, I can't believe that we didn't get to that beautiful beach one time. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 03:29 pm
I am within a reasonable driving distance from both Caladesi and DeSoto Beach. I love Caladesi and have waxed rhapsodic about it both on A2K and Abuzz. The thing that is nice about Caladesi is that you have to go to Honeymoon Island State park, and then take a ferry. As a result, you don't have the crowds that you have in nearby Clearwater.

Also, the sand is gorgeous, and birdwatchers have a field day!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 07:46 pm
hummm...no mention of any Massachusetts beaches? Its just wrong..you can swim in most of them now.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 07:57 pm
well, Q, not now exatly, it's only like 40ยบ outside.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 07:58 pm
wellokay, theres the temp too
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 07:59 pm
what are you doing online, btw?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 08:14 pm
fiddling...why..should I not be online?