Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 12:27 pm
Santa Margarita Pinot
Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio is one that I like as well...yummy

Mile
Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 05:58 pm
So, recently I forked out some good money for some bottles of red wine.

I happen to think $10.00 - 13.00 is good money. I like fine wine, like I like fine wallets, but I don't have one of those.

The one I opened was Taurino - the winery - Salice Salentino is the small town, Riserva 2001, the rosso.

I've tasted this before, but probably not 2001. The grapes are Negroamaro and Malvasia Nera, and the area they are grown is in Apulia, Italy's heel.
I gather negroamaro are the hot new grapes, but what do I know. It says the vines are not trained, are heavily pruned... and the wine only minimally filtered. Heh, this just tastes good.

Will report back on the others --

A-Mano Primitivo, also Puglia, 2002. The card on it in the store made this sound delicious...

Monte Antico Toscano, Red Wine, 2003. Well, I'm a fool for Toscano. Made with a sangiovese varietal. This is of course not a fine Brunello, or Montepulciano, but it's got a bottle, a nice label, and I've heard of Monte Antico, so...

and then,
Wolf Blass Yellow Label Shiraz from South Australia, 2003.. probably bought that another time, and I've no memory of the cost except that it wasn't horrible.

I shall report..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:04 pm
I see O'Bill wrote about yellow tail shiraz-cab. I don't remember particularly liking whatever Yellow Tail wine I bought before. Why did I buy this shiraz? Don't remember, but it wasn't at the good wine place. Not that they don't carry it, but that I'd see other things to distract me...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:11 pm
On good italian ones, I haven't had all that much of the primo stuff, for money reasons, but I have had some Brunello in Montalcino, some vin nobile di Montipulciano, in Montepulciano, and some Barolo in ... Viterbo, at a restaurant where I went whole hog and ordered a bottle because it was my second to the last day in Italy. Turned out to be one of those Slow Food places, called Il Torre, and they only charged me for what I drank, saying they would drink the rest... turned out to be great wine for not so much.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:46 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I see O'Bill wrote about yellow tail shiraz-cab. I don't remember particularly liking whatever Yellow Tail wine I bought before. Why did I buy this shiraz? Don't remember, but it wasn't at the good wine place. Not that they don't carry it, but that I'd see other things to distract me...

Yellow tail and Wolf Blass yellow label are totally different wines...different winery, different maker, different region.

I think the yellow label range are amongst the lower end of Wolf Blass' wines....they go up in price and quality as the label colours change.

He is a damn fine winemaker, and his top end stuff can be divine.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:48 pm
my favorite whine is "I want to go to Miami Beach for the winter"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:50 pm
Oh, that's great news, thanks for catching that....
and maybe I lied, maybe it was at the good place. (Sunflower Market, Dys).
0 Replies