What is Your Favorite Wine?

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:26 am
What is your favorite wine and can you describe it?

I had a Castle Rock Pinot Noir (2204) a couple of weeks ago at a wonderful little Italian place. Now we can only find the 2005. Not a lot of difference, but the 2005 seems a littlel more "berry."

I don't like a woody wine or one where the alcohol is overbearing.

How about you? Got a favorite I should try?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,522 • Replies: 26
No top replies

George

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:31 am
"You misquote me all the time!"
You've got to say it with your nose wrinkled and with a high nasal tone of voice.

Oh, wait, I thought you said "whine."

Never mind.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:38 am
George wrote:
"You misquote me all the time!"
You've got to say it with your nose wrinkled and with a high nasal tone of voice.

Oh, wait, I thought you said "whine."

Dagnammit, you beat me to it!!

I never pay attention to wine names but I prefer it with lemonade in it.
Its too strong otherwise.It is also one of 2 drinks that make me pukey if I have too much(the other being vodka, obviously)

Never mind.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:39 am
Whatt happened there then,I added other stuff.

Oh well, here it goes again.

I dont pay attention to wine names but I prefer it with lemonade in it whatever it is.(white wine, not red)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:40 am
My absolute favorite is Santa Margarita Pinot Gregio but a close second is Bella Sera Pinot Gregio.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:42 am
On the other hand, I had a nice Georges DuBreouf Pouilly Fuisse lately.
I'm not good at describing wine, but I'd call it full-bodied and smooth.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 10:25 am
Bella Dea wrote:
My absolute favorite is Santa Margarita Pinot Gregio but a close second is Bella Sera Pinot Gregio.

I used to drink SM PG regularly. It's gotten pretty pricey. Now I drink a couple different mid-range ($10 -$12) that I get from Trader Joes.

My new favorite wine is the Alexander Valley Vineyards cabernet sauvignon (2003) that O'Bill provided at the A2K greet in Chicago. The winoisseurs all loved it and those who don't normally drink wine thought it was good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 10:27 am
I like Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio too. I wouldn't describe it, I'm terrible at that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 10:29 am
I like Alexander Valley itself... went through there a few times when I was staying with friends in Napa a couple of years ago. I've some photos I'll post when I unearth my scanner.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 10:42 am
Warning, tangent -

Last time I went through Alexander Valley I stopped for lunch at the Jimtown Store, and that is one of the places I took photos from. Eclectic little place - they had supplies people need, like matches and dish soap, ordinary stuff... and then a small cafe with really good food.. a superb wine selection.. vintage cars ... and old fashioned "stuff" like aprons. I ended up buying their cookbook. Here's the link (see slide show on upper right for better idea):
http://www.jimtown.com/
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 10:45 am
These days, I am in love with Estancia wines. The Chardonnay tastes
just excellent, quite fruity and pear-like. Usually I am more of a redwine
drinker, but Estancia's white wines have changed my taste buds.

http://www.thewineman.com/Estancia.htm
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:38 pm
Supposedly, North Carolina has some decent wineries. Bear and I are going to check out one that is close by this weekend. Will let you know what we find.

Had a decent Oregon Reisling this evening, Bridgeview / Blue Moon. Very nice chilled and served with fruit. Refreshing in this heat.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:02 pm
Oregon Pinots are also very good, squinney.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 06:26 am
J_B wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

I used to drink SM PG regularly. It's gotten pretty pricey. Now I drink a couple different mid-range ($10 -$12) that I get from Trader Joes.

My new favorite wine is the Alexander Valley Vineyards cabernet sauvignon (2003) that O'Bill provided at the A2K greet in Chicago. The winoisseurs all loved it and those who don't normally drink wine thought it was good.
Very Happy Smiles. Obviously, that's my favorite too.

Squinney, if ya'll like the Rieslings, you should try "Twisted River". It's as good as any within twice it's price, which isn't much.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 06:37 am
Thanks Bill will do.... we are going to try a Williamette Valley Oregon Pinot Noir next, I've been told by many that the Oregon Pinots are outstanding.

Believe it or not, just for sipping by itself I've enjoyed the Yellow Tail Shiraz-Cab. I really like Shiraz although I tried the Barefoot, usually a real good everyday wine IMO, (although for everyday wine from the market I don't think you can beat Yellow Tail) and did not like it. Found it thin and acidic.

It ended up dressing up some red pasta sauce and in that context performed very nicely. Very Happy
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 06:54 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Thanks Bill will do.... we are going to try a Williamette Valley Oregon Pinot Noir next, I've been told by many that the Oregon Pinots are outstanding.

Believe it or not, just for sipping by itself I've enjoyed the Yellow Tail Shiraz-Cab. I really like Shiraz although I tried the Barefoot, usually a real good everyday wine IMO, (although for everyday wine from the market I don't think you can beat Yellow Tail) and did not like it. Found it thin and acidic.

It ended up dressing up some red pasta sauce and in that context performed very nicely. Very Happy
Yellow Tail is the rage in low end taverns because of it's consistency. I've become to spoiled for it myself, so be careful.

Oregon is indeed where most of the best Pinots are coming from these days... but that may be do to the fact that most of California's are already sold out... on account of that idiotic movie that glorified them (Sideways). Meanwhile, Merlots have suffered greatly from the slamming they got because nobody seems to have gotten the inside joke of the movie. The truly precious wine dude raved about and drank at the end of the film out of a paper cup was none other than a rare, peaking, Merlot. People are funny.

I don't care for Pinots or Zins myself. Good ones are few, far between, too expensive and could never stand up to decent cab half it's price for my taste.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:35 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Yellow Tail is the rage in low end taverns because of it's consistency. I've become to spoiled for it myself, so be careful.

Oregon is indeed where most of the best Pinots are coming from these days... but that may be do to the fact that most of California's are already sold out... on account of that idiotic movie that glorified them (Sideways). Meanwhile, Merlots have suffered greatly from the slamming they got because nobody seems to have gotten the inside joke of the movie. The truly precious wine dude raved about and drank at the end of the film out of a paper cup was none other than a rare, peaking, Merlot. People are funny.

I don't care for Pinots or Zins myself. Good ones are few, far between, too expensive and could never stand up to decent cab half it's price for my taste.

I read that one of the reasons Yellow Tail was so popular was because a lot of the Australian and New Zealand wines retain a little more sugar than others and are therefore a bit smoother. squinney really likes Stirling Cab, which is a California one. About 25 a bottle. I prefer the couple of Pinots I've had that I liked... in the inexpensive class I have really enjoyed the Castle Rock Pinot from Monterey Valley.

What I really love though is Tawny Port. I'm going to take the plunge and try a 20 y.o. Taylor here as soon as I can get up the nerve to shell out 50.00 for a bottle of wine. Fortunately squinney hates it, and at one glass at bedtime every now and again it should last awhile.

We're really having a great time getting into this in a big way. We haven't tried any NC wines yet but there is a winery not 20 minutes from our house that is suppposed to be really good and for five bucks a head you can taste their entire line. Cheap date..... and maybe squinney will come across after I get her loaded :wink:

I've only tried one Merlot... a Francis Ford Coppola. It sucked for us. Really too woody and tannic. Can you make a recommendation that won't break the bank?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:31 am
Quote:
Weighing all the factors that must be considered, who's making California's best Merlots? Currently, only a handful of wineries are turning out Merlot on a scale to compete with the finest wines of the world - merlot-based or otherwise. At the top of their game are such wineries as Beringer, Cafaro, Chateau St. Jean, Duckhorn, Groth, Paul Hobbs, Gary Farrell, Pride Mountain and St. Francis, each of which consistently crafts Merlot of the highest quality. (And while provenance prohibits the inclusion of Washington State's Leonetti Cellar in this article, Gary Figgins may be making the most astounding Merlot that America has to offer; see "Washington Merlot" box on previous page.)

Close behind the top tier are more than a dozen or so producers who are equally committed to the varietal and whose wines are showing remarkable character and breed. Generally, top-flight Merlots are not inexpensive (with the notable exception of Carneros bottlings from Keenan, Havens and Ravenswood); one should expect to pay upward of $100 for bellwether bottlings from standard bearers such as Duckhorn and St. Jean.

http://www.thewinenews.com/junjul02/cover.html

This is a few years old, but the article (long) gives a great description of merlot production in California. I've tried Ravenswood, Chateau St Jean, and St Francis. I preferred the less expensive Ravenswood.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:39 am
I almost never drink chardonnay these days, but my favorite all-time chardonnay is from Simi Wineries. They also have a pretty good merlot and a good cab. It's a great winery to visit on a tour of the Simi Valley.
Simi

For a special occasion top end Cabernet try Silver Oak. It's almost worth a trip to CA to visit their small friendly winery.Silver Oak
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 12:00 pm
Can you make a recommendation that won't break the bank?
"Huntington Merlot is the best reasonable one I've found. 2000 or 2002, Should come in between $10 and $15. If you want a great one; North Star Merlot is the bomb at around $40.

If you're liking port; I'd recommend E.O.S.'s "Port of Zinfandel. Too sweet for me, but my customers love it invariably.
0 Replies