Work Hypocrisy

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:57 am
Not only am I mad enough to put down the phone on somebody who was asking me how much i paid on my last phone bill(what the F has it got to d with them!!!)but Im so narked off with a boss!!!

He is a friend so obviously I dont hate him but all I can say about the situation is TOTAL HYPOCRISY!!!!
He is annoyed that a hard worked collegue hasnt done a certain job and he wasnt told of it.
I cant remember the ins and outs but Im sure my 'wrong' collegue had his reasons plus the fact that my boss can spend many a day doing sweet F.A. and nothing gets said.
My boss has been busy the last couple of days but only really as a result of him leaving work to snowball, then he gets stressed at the amount of work that needs to be done

Personnaly I see it all as a bad example to us that work below him, theerfore sometimes I think I cant be ar*ed if more senior members of staff cant be ar*ed.

I talked to my boss about this years ago and he laughed in my face.
Should I give a hooha now?

GRRRRRR, Im sorry just had to talk to someone and get my frustrations out!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 928 • Replies: 15
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:05 am
Wait till you cool off before you say another word to Boss.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:08 am
Bosses are paid to think, and what they do is not always obvious to their employees. There are some screwups, but most do their jobs well, or they are quickly out of a job.

Get over it. Someday, if you work hard, you too may become a boss, and appear to your staff to be doing nothing, while you are really working your rear end off.

I am glad that you can vent on A2K. Hope that you feel better! Very Happy
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:11 am
Better to vent here than in your boss's face and let something slip that you'd regret later.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:20 am
I think Ive told him my annoyances during the conversation a few years back.

re looking as though he is doing something, does getting in late, leaving early, collecting personal things and taking too long about it, taking friends to the airport, having your hair cut, buying a shed and taking in home early, all during work hours count.
Fair enough he thinks but then to put it aside until forgotten doesnt help, he isnt the only one that does that, there are 2 others just as bad.

Its just total hypocrisy and it bugs me.There is no way I could do what he does, Id be fired.
Its not just him, other people screw up and it again snowballs.But this place should run so much more smoothly.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:48 am
your boss
take a deep breath, count to ten, then spit in his coffee....
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:56 am
They are all obsessive tea drinkers here which also delays things 'Il just have another cup of tea then il be off'.

I hate criticising him as my other bosses can be sh*tter at time (eg one boss had something assigned to him, a month went by and he hadnt done a thing) but I have to talk to someone!!!
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:12 am
What an awkward situation. You want to be seen as a good employee who cares about the company, so you should complain to someone about his work habits. But you don't want to seem like a complainer or say the wrong thing to the wrong person and have word get back to your boss.
If you have specific examples of how his work (or lack thereof) has cost the company time and/or money, including affecting how well other employees do their jobs, then I'd take it to his supervisor (or whoever happens to be above him). They should respect your privacy and not let word filter back down to your boss about who complained, if they even tell him at all. But they should at least look into it and see what he's doing (or not doing) and how it's affecting the company. If time passes without noticable results, go to the next person up the line from who you went to initially. Keep going until you see results, but be sure to give it time to be sure they are not just watching him to see if he does what you say he does. That's why you need to have specific examples of what he did and what problems it caused.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:32 am
Thanks for the advice.
But I mentioned before about my other bosses who are just as bad if not worse(in fact I belive i used the word sh*tter)They are the people I should tell, but they wont do anything as they are not here to see or do anything about it.

Im happy for my boss to hear what I think as I said that sometimes he does nothing too, to him in the call that got me so narked off.

I suppose the issue isnt that my collegue didnt do anything today(i now know his reasons are justified)but that my boss didnt know he wasnt doing anything, therefore my boss could have got my collegaue to do some of his work (which my boss would have eventually given to him anyway as he has done many times in the past)

I had 2 other colleagues that worked here (they have both now left)they came in in the morning but they couldnt do any work until my boss came in and told them what they should do for the day.So if he is delayed, they are delayed and work doesnt get done!

It narks me off because when I see things as important they get brushed aside but when they are important to my superiors they are IMPORTANT!!!

Is it because Im a girl?
Is it because Im the equivalent of a secretary that nobody listens to me?
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:45 am
I didn't realize that it was everyone up the chain of command that was, to use your term, sh*tter. There is really no one you can talk to? I'm talking all the way up, to the head or owner of the company?
And, sad though it is, it may have something to do with your position in the company that you are not being listened to. I would hope that it isn't because of your gender, but who knows. They should realize that everyone plays an important role in a company and that business gets disrupted when someone is unhappy or being treated poorly, no matter who it is or what position they hold.
It sounds like it may be time to find a new job. I don't know if that's an option for you, though. And it may be a little intimidating to think that way, but if you and others are being treated poorly or not able to work because of your boss's attitudes, you may have no other choice.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:53 am
Material Girl, you have mentioned your unhappiness with your job a few times before - have you considered looking for another job?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:54 am
Yep my other bosses own this place!!

Other jobs have been an option for a while(I have looked but all jobs Ive found sound as dull as this one)my collegue has said that he will leave soon.
The only person I can talk to about it is my colleague, if he goes im stumped!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:58 am
Other jobs might be dull, but they wouldn't necessarily have the same dysfunctional work associates. I remember that you are dependent on these people in regard to getting any lunch or bathroom break. Seems very trying.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:59 am
The other jobs may be dull, but if they don't have the same problems as the one you are at now, you may have to bite the bullet and go with one of them.
Are there no other career options you could look into? Do you have any skills or interests that you could try for a job in the field of? Even as an intern or an apprentice?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 10:09 am
Im looking into selling stuff i make, not as a career coz it wont bring in money but it keeps me sane.

I know at some point I need to get a new job but Im a fraidy cat and I refuse to work in an office ever again.Non office/desk jobs are tough to find.

Thanks for your advice and understanding, nice to have people on my side.Sometimes I feel like nobody is on my side.
Anyhoo, its the end of the day for me.Annoyingly I will go home and think about this situation some more.I must learn not to take my work/annoyances home!!
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 10:19 am
Any time. There's always someone out there willing to lend a sympathetic ear and a bit of advice, and be on your side.
It can be intimidating to change jobs, but in your case, it sounds like it can only do you good. Maybe selling the things you make will be lucrative enough that you can take a break from office work for a short time before climbing back into the rat race, and give you a needed vacation from all the bullsh*t.
0 Replies