Thoughts on gun control

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:43 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

You think the sociopaths are mentally ill? That's certainly different all right.

Well, at least it's listed in the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD-10, F60.2 if I remember correctly) as well as in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM ... not sure at all about the where)

"Maniacs" don't seem to be questioned as ill?

That was not my point Walter. If it is the only way to save your life, do you or do you not want me to shoot the person who is trying to kill you regardless of whether he or she is mentally ill?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:48 am
Bill Clinton is a sociopath.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:50 am
Foxfyre wrote:
That was not my point Walter. If it is the only way to save your life, do you or do you not want me to shoot the person who is trying to kill you regardless of whether he or she is mentally ill?

That wasn't your point either:

Foxfyre wrote:
When a killer/predator/maniac/sociopath or whatever intends to rape, torture, maim, or murder me or mine or any innocent victims, ...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:53 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

That wasn't your point either:

Foxfyre wrote:
When a killer/predator/maniac/sociopath or whatever intends to rape, torture, maim, or murder me or mine or any innocent victims, ...

So how do you figure that wasn't my point? Sure looks to me like it was. So would you want me to shoot the person attempting to kill you? Even if that person is mentally ill by your definition or somebody else's?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:59 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Many do not object to personal self defence. Just the manner in which the defence is achieved.

But you see, that's where you and I may really differ. When a killer/predator/maniac/sociopath or whatever intends to rape, torture, maim, or murder me or mine or any innocent victims, they aren't real particular about how that will be accomplished. And I'm not particular at all in how I or mine or any innocent victims are defended against that. I favor whatever self defense is reasonable, necessary, and effective whatever that might be. And I think there are many times when a gun is the only reasonable, necessary, and effective choice.

I am not familiar with the legal aspects of this in the U.S. In Canada, a police officer cannot even draw their weapon unless there has been an attempt by an armed assailant to do them or citizens harm and there is no alternative than to fire at them. In the case of a citizen, you could be charged with assault if you even use physical force that is more than is deemed necessary to stop an assailant.

I would be concerned that a frightened person, with a gun, would go on fear and emotion and would not be in control enough to rationally determine what to do. Even trained police officers sometimes make mistakes. Innocent people could be harmed or killed and mistakes could be made.

I still find it hard to imagine that people must live in constant fear of armed predators. I guess we really have it good up here in Canada.

Perhaps your laws are not strict enough for the criminals since there does not appear to be a deterrent.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:02 am
Let me tell you about laws. Laws are interpreted, not "enforced".

In Florida, if I'm stealing the motor off the old boat in your front yard, and you come out and shoot at me but instead kill the old lady walking her dog behind me, guess who gets charged with murder?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:03 am
Intrepid wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Many do not object to personal self defence. Just the manner in which the defence is achieved.

But you see, that's where you and I may really differ. When a killer/predator/maniac/sociopath or whatever intends to rape, torture, maim, or murder me or mine or any innocent victims, they aren't real particular about how that will be accomplished. And I'm not particular at all in how I or mine or any innocent victims are defended against that. I favor whatever self defense is reasonable, necessary, and effective whatever that might be. And I think there are many times when a gun is the only reasonable, necessary, and effective choice.

I am not familiar with the legal aspects of this in the U.S. In Canada, a police officer cannot even draw their weapon unless there has been an attempt by an armed assailant to do them or citizens harm and there is no alternative than to fire at them. In the case of a citizen, you could be charged with assault if you even use physical force that is more than is deemed necessary to stop an assailant.

I would be concerned that a frightened person, with a gun, would go on fear and emotion and would not be in control enough to rationally determine what to do. Even trained police officers sometimes make mistakes. Innocent people could be harmed or killed and mistakes could be made.

I still find it hard to imagine that people must live in constant fear of armed predators. I guess we really have it good up here in Canada.

Perhaps your laws are not strict enough for the criminals since there does not appear to be a deterrent.

All good reasoned arguments and worthy to be added to the debate.

But I'll ask you the same question I asked Walter (that he doesn't seem to wish to answer). If it is the only way to save your life, do you want me to shoot the person who is trying to kill you?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:04 am
Canadian gun laws and the repression of your police force is because of the ultra-liberal pansies you elected year after year. They really did a number on you - total brainwashing.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:06 am
cjhsa wrote:
Canadian gun laws and the repression of your police force is because of the ultra-liberal pansies you elected year after year. They really did a number on you - total brainwashing.

You don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. As usual.

Especially since our change in government was after severeral years from the previous government. Rolling Eyes

Why don't you go and clean a gun or something.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:09 am
Actually, it would appear I am havign a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:09 am
If a mentally ill or someone else wants to kill me and the police thinks, they can't hinder her/him besides killing her/him as a last resort, that's okay for me.

Of course, I'll try not get killed myself ... with legal methods of self-defense.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:11 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

All good reasoned arguments and worthy to be added to the debate.

But I'll ask you the same question I asked Walter (that he doesn't seem to wish to answer). If it is the only way to save your life, do you want me to shoot the person who is trying to kill you?

No.

You may well think that is a stupid and unreasoned answer. However, I would not want a murder on your concience. It is also possible that I would not die.

Also, since we are in different countries it would not happen unless I was where you are. If you were in Canada at the time, you would either have had the gun confiscated at the border or, you would be charged with murder.

It seems to be somewhat a moot point based on geography and prevailing laws. Smile
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:11 am
When it comes to living or being killed, I would think ANY method of self defense should be legal.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:13 am
Intrepid wrote:

Also, since we are in different countries it would not happen unless I was where you are. If you were in Canada at the time, you would either have had the gun confiscated at the border or, you would be charged with murder.

It seems to be somewhat a moot point based on geography and prevailing laws. Smile

Us horrible 'mericans bring guns into your country all the time. It's called eco-tourism - hunting.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:13 am
cjhsa wrote:
Actually, it would appear I am havign a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Are you talking to yourself again?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:14 am
And that includes large caliber handguns used for defensive purposes when hunting bears and other large, dangerous game. Might want to do some fact checking before you post.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:14 am
cjhsa wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Us horrible 'mericans bring guns into your country all the time. It's called eco-tourism - hunting.

Can you distinguish between a handgun and a rifle?????? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:17 am
:LOL:
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:17 am
I don't think that anyone who carries concealed weapons actually lives in constant fear of an armed attacker.

Again, I go back to the insurance argument. When I drive I don't live in constant fear of getting in an accident, but you never know if you will.

Also, not all gun-rights enthuisists are conservative. I am mostly liberal, but this is one position that I disagree with them on. I think Bill Clinton was the greatest president in the last 30 years. I've only been alive for 26, but from what I've read, Jimmy Carter wasn't all that great.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:23 am
cjhsa wrote:
And that includes large caliber handguns used for defensive purposes when hunting bears and other large, dangerous game. Might want to do some fact checking before you post.

You may want to do some checking yourself.

The Canadian government is warning Americans bringing firearms across the border, or even borrowing guns while in Canada, that the new Canadian Firearms Act applies equally to visitors.

Canada's tough new gun control law, which took effect Jan. 1, 2001, requires individuals to obtain licenses to posses or purchase either guns or ammunition. By Jan. 1, 2003, registration of all guns in Canada will be required. The Firearms Act regulations apply to the importing, exporting, possession, use, storage, display and transportation of all firearms, and are in effect across the country.

As of January 1, 2001, the procedures for bringing firearms into Canada, or for borrowing firearms while in Canada, change as a result of mandatory license requirements for all firearms owners and users in Canada.

Canadian firearms laws severely restrict the types of guns persons can legally posses. In addition, the laws apply equally to both Canadian citizens and to anyone bringing or shipping guns into Canada, or borrowing guns while in Canada.

Under the Canadian Firearms Act, the three classes of firearms are:

Non-restricted (most ordinary rifles and shotguns);
Restricted (mainly handguns); and
Prohibited (full automatics, converted automatics, handguns with a barrel length of 105 mm (approx. 4") or less, and .25 or .32 caliber handguns among others).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Americans Seeking a Canadian Firearms Licence
We are happy to send training manuals to Americans, or other foreigners, who wish to challenge the Canadian Firearms Safety Course exams when visiting Canada. When you are in Canada you can challenge the exam(s) and apply for a Canadian Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL). In the long run, visitors to Canada who bring firearms with them on a regular basis will find it is considerably cheaper to get a regular Possession and Acquisition Licence at a cost of $60 for five years instead of a temporary visitor's licence which costs $25 each year.

In a Snapshot
Non-residents need a firearms licence to import (restricted and non-restricted firearms) or to borrow (non-restricted firearms only), and to acquire ammunition.
For those who bring their own firearms into Canada, a confirmed Non-Resident Firearm Declaration (form JUS 909) will serve as a licence and registration. Non-residents who wish to borrow firearms while in Canada will need a Temporary Firearms Borrowing Licence (for Non-residents) (form JUS 715 EF), or a possession and acquisition licence (PAL) or a valid Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC).
Bringing Firearms Into Canada
Since January 1, 2001, shooters who temporarily bring firearms to Canada must generally declare their firearms in writing, using the Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Form (form JUS 909 EF). Once a customs officer has confirmed the declaration and issued a confirmation number, the declaration form will serve as a licence and registration certificate, showing that your customer is in legal possession of the firearm(s).

To save time at the border, you should fill out the declaration form in advance, in triplicate, leaving the signature block empty. Photocopies of the original, completed form are acceptable. The original form and all duplicates must be signed in front of the customs officer.

A confirmed declaration costs $50 Canadian and is valid for up to 60 days. Customers who stay in Canada longer than 60 days can renew their declaration before it expires by calling the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) of the applicable province or territory. They can contact the CFO by calling 1-800-731-4000.

Visitors will need to have a new confirmation number each time they enter Canada. If they are bringing the same firearms each time, they can use the same form and have it reconfirmed at the border.

If they bring different firearms into the country on successive visits, they must complete the Non Resident Firearm Declaration -Continuation Sheet (form JUS 910) in triplicate, also to be signed in front of a customs officer. These will be included with resource information once they are available.

You will only have to pay the $50 once in a 12-month period for a confirmed declaration, no matter how many new or renewed declarations require within that period. The rules for permanently importing a firearm into Canada are different from the rules for temporarily importing a firearm. Therefore, if any of your customers plan to leave a firearm in Canada, they must contact the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (1-800-461-9999) They can also call 1-800-731-4000 in Canada and the U.S., and 1-506-624-5380 in other countries to receive further information. Otherwise, customers must take home any firearms that they bring to Canada. Laws in their own country may also apply.

Non-Resident Visitors Who Borrow Firearms
Visitors, whether adults or minors, will not need a licence to borrow a firearm if they only use it under the direct and immediate supervision of an adult who can lawfully possess that firearm.

Otherwise, visitors aged 18 and older will need either a Temporary Firearms Borrowing Licence (for Non-residents) (form JUS 715 EF) or a valid Canadian licence that allows them to acquire firearms (either a valid FAC or a PAL). A borrower's licence costs $30 Canadian. It can be renewed once within a 12-month period at no extra cost. Any additional renewals will cost $30. A sponsor may apply on behalf of a non-resident for the borrowers' licence.

Visitors should apply well in advance.

Frequent Visitors
People who frequently come to Canada to hunt may prefer to get a Canadian possession and acquisition licence (PAL). A five-year PAL costs $60 Canadian for non-restricted firearms and $80 for restricted firearms. If you are moving to Canada, it would help to print out an application form prior to moving so that you can have references who have known you for three or more years sign the application before you relocate. Visitors who have a PAL will not need a borrowers' licence to borrow firearms, nor will they need a confirmed declaration to import firearms that are registered in Canada. However, they will need a confirmed declaration for any firearms not registered in Canada, whether or not they have a PAL.

Remember
Non-residents cannot bring prohibited firearms into Canada.
Handgun magazines that hold more than ten cartridges are prohibited in Canada.
Non-residents (nor typical Canadians) cannot carry a concealed weapon in Canada.
They cannot bring restricted firearms into Canada for hunting purposes.
If they import restricted firearms for an approved purpose, they need an Authorization to Transport (ATT). A Customs officer will need to see a paper copy of the ATT at the border. Non-residents must apply for their ATT from the CFO in advance. They may be able to apply for an ATT by phoning the CFO in advance, but a paper copy of the ATT is required at the border. The ATT cannot be done at the border. (In the United States call 1-800-731-4000; in other countries call 1-506-624-5380). If you are going to shoot at a handgun competition, the host club can facilitate this process for you.
Visitors to Canada will not be able to buy ammunition without a firearms licence or a confirmed declaration, or a temporary borrowers' licence.
0 Replies