Switzerland thaws out, immediately criticises Israel.

Lash

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 11:55 pm
<smile>

I can't argue with that.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 04:19 am
craven wrote
Quote:
It's nice to play on A2K again,

It's at least equally nice for me (others? who knows) to read you again.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 04:46 am
Lash wrote:
blatham wrote:

If Paz's statement is true ...

To begin, that's a substantial "if."

Can we back up his assertion?

Well, what was your meaning in this sentence following?
Quote:
Blatham-- I was aware of the overriding reason Hamas was chosen...

You seemed to be suggesting that you were aware of the broad charity/social services/infrastructure activities of Hamas and how that was consequential to the electoral result. Did I take your meaning correctly? If so, I gather you gained this information from sources other than Paz's writing - which wouldn't be surprising as that information was widely covered at the time of the election.

Here's the fellow's bio...
Quote:
Dr. Reuven Paz was born in Israel, and received his Masters and Doctorate degrees from Haifa University, in the History of the Middle East. His fields of expertise include: Palestinian society and politics; the Arab minority in Israel; Islam and Islamic movements in the Arab and Muslim world; Islamic Fundamentalism; Islamist international terrorist networks; and Communist parties in the Arab world. Paz has worked for the Israel General Security Service as head of the research department, lectured at Haifa University, and been the Academic Director of The International Policy Institute for Counter-Terrorism (ICT), a part of the Interdisciplinary center (IDC) Herzliya in Israel. Currently he is Senior research fellow at ICT and Director of The Project for the Research of Islamist Movements at the GLORIA Center, IDC Herzliya.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 09:04 am
You deserve more than a flip answer. I'll be back today after errands.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 04:16 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

But the one thing that remains for the wise of the world to sort out: how do you respond to the terrorists? If they run to hide in the Mosques or among the women and children, do you allow them to do that with impunity? Especially when you know their reloading to attack again? We face the same kinds of decisions in Iraq.

If I have to make a simple rule, I would have the criteria of least suffering for the most people govern the decisions.

I personally don't hold Mosques in very high regard and don't personally care if they are "violated" but if enough people do, and if they are considered historic sites then it may make sense to avoid them.

I don't personally consider this to be the case, but it's a common idea in many of our cultures.

The early Jews had their 6 cities of refuge, in which it was forbidden to kill refugees in revenge that was legal in the land outside of the 6 cities. This didn't make sense (there were even rules for exactly how much area the no-kill zone covered measured out to the cubit: see Numbers 35).

Christians have had the concept of church "sanctuary".

I think this kind of thing is bogus, but it's not a surprise to me anymore.

I think your take on this is both reasonable and unrealistic. A city of haven or sanctuary offered by the Church is grounded in tradition and principles of mercy however irrational the policies seem to the educated Western mind. But a second principle is also in play. What about the principle of sparing the innocents who are likely under a death sentence at the hands of those sheltered?

True life stories and novels have centered on the dilemma of the Priest hearing the confession of a serial killer. Does he violate the sacred confidentiality of the confessional and thus save many innocent lives or does he forever destroy the confidence of the pentitents that their confessions are between them and God's emissary only?

I think cultural sensibilities have to be weighed against dozens or hundreds or thousands of lives likely lost if such sensibilities are given primary consideration.

I said
Quote:
Do the same rules that apply in our day to day lives apply also in times of war?

CDK replied
Quote:
No, the rules of wartime apply then. And those are the rules that Israel is being accused of runnign afoul of.

Acknowleged. And agreed if the conduct of standard warfare is the criteria for judgment. But I wonder if there should not be a third set of rules for dealing with murderous terrorists who kill without warning, indiscriminately, and who target innocent women and children?

I wrote
Quote:
Is piecemeal, surgical warfare that creates relatively small numbers of deaths but accumulates them over years somehow more humane than an overwhelming display of force that kills them all at once but stops the war in a short time?

CDK replied
Quote:
It depends on the effect on the civillian population. But this isn't an applicable scenario to this case.

Israel isn't making a hard rush to kill the bad guys, they are openly using collective punishment to try to make the situation untenable for the whole Gaza populace. The actions are killing more Palestinian civillians than anything else and it's a disproportionate reaction.

I don't personally think this has as much tactical value as it does a feel-good revenge effect for Israel's population.

This is the way it is being mostly presented on Television and in the newspapers. But do you know this to be a fact? If the bad guys were not hiding among the women and children, do you truly believe Israel would be going after residential neighborhoods? On what do you base your opinon/observation on that? (Admitting up front that I don't know.)

I wrote
Quote:
And if somebody is criticized constantly by just about everybody when he/she/it defends against an aggresor, it is pretty easy to at least understand that since nobody understands, cares, or sympathises with the victim, the victim might as well do whatever is necessary to end the assault.

CDK responded
Quote:
What other people think about Israel shouldn't preclude her from acting reasonably.

The US, if anything, is the best friend Israel has got. The US is not in favor of what Israel is doing and has made its own diplomatic noise calling for Israel to use restraint.

This all started over a situation in which 2 Israeli soliders and 2 Palestinian millitants were killing in a Palestinian attack that captured an Israeli soldier.

Isreal's reaction was to take somewhere around 100 Palestinian's hostage and to react with measures that have resulted in 25 Palestinian's killed and 1 more Israeli.

I don't think Israel's angry reaction is wise, and I don't think it's wise for Israel, regardless of what it's doing to the Palestinian population

If one agrees that what others think should not prevent Israel from acting reasonably, one might think that what the United States or others think should not deter Israel from doing what Israel perceives to be reasonable under the circumstances. I have not seen Israel accused of unprovoked action. It very well be that Israel is not choosing the wisest methods to deal with the problem. But I'm very much in favor of not allowing terrorist to firebomb busloads of school kids if that can be prevented. And I don't think kidnapping people should go unanswered.

But I also agree that too often violence begets violence--unless overwhelming force is in play to stop it cold.

I guess what I'm saying is that if Israel cannot respond as Israel responds without being unreasonable, then how indeed can Israel respond at all? Who should get to set the rules that Israel plays by?

I wrote
Quote:

But do you honestly think Israel is being cautioned out of concern for Israel? I admit to some skepticism about that.

CDK responded
Quote:
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But I don't think it matters. The US, for example, is cautioning Israel for what I belive are moral beliefs against what the actions can spiral into as well as geopolitical strategic reasons.

But regardless of the motive, Israel should find a way to de-escalate this situation for her own good. I'm hoping that the soldier is returned and that Israel stands down.

After that, I have a slim hope that the power struggle against Hamas and other Palestinian hardliners has not now swung against the Palestinian moderates.

Each time Israel does this, the Palestinian moderates are set back yet again. This gives too much power to the individual lunatics to disrupt 2 peoples peace process.

The only way out is for the responsible parties to control the actions that can be controlled.

Palestine can't control it's individual lunatics just yet, neither can Israel control them. But they can control their responses and their history teaches them that some responses are more effective than others.

Their hard efforts to disengage (i.e. their wall that so many complained about) have shown better results.

Heck, their withdrawal from Gaza after over 30 years of occupation came with the lowest levels of violence in the region since we've been debating it on A2K. The less time they spend in Gaza the better IMO.

I know your observations are pretty much on target and there is truth to what you are saying.

I would feel better about it all, I think, if there was a fraction of international condemnation of Palestinian terrorist attacks on Israeli citizens as there is condemnation of Israel in how she retaliates. I think some international outrage at the attacks on Israel might help reassure Israel that she can afford to be more 'reasonable' in her response.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 09:41 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I think your take on this is both reasonable and unrealistic. A city of haven or sanctuary offered by the Church is grounded in tradition and principles of mercy however irrational the policies seem to the educated Western mind. But a second principle is also in play. What about the principle of sparing the innocents who are likely under a death sentence at the hands of those sheltered?

I don't think I have the particular "take" you think I do, as I don't really mind if Mosques are entered, as I stated, my criteria would be to do what will cause the least suffering.

I can envision situations in which entering a Mosque in pursuit of individuals would be the only sane thing to do, and I can also envision situations in which entering a Mosque would be unecessarily provocative.

Thing is, the Mosque cases I know of, have been pretty rare and the kid gloves didn't make much of a difference in the cases I've followed (in most, Israel got the men they wanted after playing them some psyops rock outside the Mosque).

This kind of thing is really a non-issue for me.

Quote:

I think cultural sensibilities have to be weighed against dozens or hundreds or thousands of lives likely lost if such sensibilities are given primary consideration.

I don't really care as much about the cultural sensitivity issues here so much as the actually proscribed actions each side has taken, there are far graver transgressions in this theatre.

Quote:

Acknowleged. And agreed if the conduct of standard warfare is the criteria for judgment. But I wonder if there should not be a third set of rules for dealing with murderous terrorists who kill without warning, indiscriminately, and who target innocent women and children?

I think many of the rules that govern combat need to be updated, but flouting them and making attempts to undermind the quorums that would achieve this certainly doesn't help.

And when all is said and done, the bulk of my qualms with Israel are not things I think reasonable to make legal in any such update.

I'm not talking about the quibbling of classifications of combatants, but of the more grave issues of systemic collective punishment (not collateral damage or "going into residential areas after terrorists who mingle with civilians" but openly admitted collective punishment aimed at making the whole of the populace suffer), lack of due dilligence in preventing collateral damage (e.g. the ever-present Israeli airstrikes into very dense crowds) and other such things that are no longer a matter of cultural sensitivity but civilization.

Quote:

This is the way it is being mostly presented on Television and in the newspapers. But do you know this to be a fact?

Yes, I know for a fact that "I don't personally think this has as much tactical value". Given that the whatifs are subjective, I don't assert any more than my verbatim statement (in regard to the collective punishments I have in mind).

Quote:
If the bad guys were not hiding among the women and children, do you truly believe Israel would be going after residential neighborhoods?

I never said anything about "going after residential neighborhoods". I am talking about openly ordering measures aimed at punishing the whole of the populace.

Incursions into residential neighbourhoods is not really even happening here, I'm talking about knocking out a populations power supply to put pressure on a few people inside the teeming millions. I'm talking about opening ensuring that no civilian of those millions sleep until the few lunatics within cooperate.

Quote:
On what do you base your opinon/observation on that? (Admitting up front that I don't know.)

I don't personally think these measures are very successful, and I can only offer as evidence their ongoing lack of success for their stated aim as there is no way to quantify their success while all of this is still happening.

What it has resulted in, is galvanization of militants and a counter-order to resist the actions.

That and a looming humanitarian crisis if the international efforts to alleviate this mess fail.

Quote:
If one agrees that what others think should not prevent Israel from acting reasonably, one might think that what the United States or others think should not deter Israel from doing what Israel perceives to be reasonable under the circumstances.

Yup, what people think should matter precious little. What is codified as law is all that matters for rule of law and the region needs rule of law.

Quote:
I have not seen Israel accused of unprovoked action.

I have, but then these internet debates tend to delve into some very stretchy uses of "provoked". Suffice it to say that Israel has put the notion of legal pre-emption to it's biggest test in modern history until Iraq and it's "targeted killings" often bring, IMO more legitimate, accusations of lacking due processes (even given the insanity they live with).

In either case, I'm not going to follow this path, as nobody here is accusing Israel of being unprovoked.

Quote:
But I'm very much in favor of not allowing terrorist to firebomb busloads of school kids if that can be prevented.

I really don't think anyone here isn't. And don't see what it has to do with any of the myriad of actual positions in this thread.

Quote:
And I don't think kidnapping people should go unanswered.

Again, I don't see anyone in this thread or in any references suggesting as much. So I don't know what this counters.

I think most people are concerned with the choice of answers. For example, Israel took hostages as part of their answer. I think they should have better selected their arrests but they decided to just go with the Palestinian ministers they could nab.

Quote:
But I also agree that too often violence begets violence--unless overwhelming force is in play to stop it cold.

I agree, but think that in asymmetric warfare the costs are often too great. Nothing short of estinguishing a people may do the trick here, and that's not an appropriate response to the deaths the terrorists cause.

Quote:
I guess what I'm saying is that if Israel cannot respond as Israel responds without being unreasonable, then how indeed can Israel respond at all?

I'm not sure what you are asking here. I think people want Israel to respond reasonably and I don't think anyone is of the opinion that it is more than a matter of chosing to do so.

Quote:
Who should get to set the rules that Israel plays by?

The same treaties and bodies that do so for everyone else. The nacent entities of international law.

For example, the Geneva Conventions that this thread is about. It is the most widely accepted regulation of combat that covers these events.

A better system is needed, but the US tends to undermind efforts to create a trans-national jurisdictional authority as the plurality it would be governed by neutralizes economic and military might that we enjoy.

Quote:
I would feel better about it all, I think, if there was a fraction of international condemnation of Palestinian terrorist attacks on Israeli citizens as there is condemnation of Israel in how she retaliates. I think some international outrage at the attacks on Israel might help reassure Israel that she can afford to be more 'reasonable' in her response.

I am kinda weary of the absolutism in political claims I so often see, claiming a demographic "never" does "any" certain thing.

For the most part, it usually just means the individual making the claim wasn't aware of any such examples.

So with that in mind, here is the quick result of a 25 second search through UN documents for the year 2003 only. I'm not compelled to do a more thorough job but they can always a few seconds away if you want to look for more.

ES-10/12

Quote:

Reiterating its grave concern at the tragic and violent events that have taken place since September 2000 which have caused enormous suffering and many innocent victims throughout the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, and in Israel,

Condemning the suicide bombings and their recent intensification, and recalling in that regard that in the framework of the road map, S/2003/529, annex. the Palestinian Authority has to take all necessary measures to end violence and terror,

Deploring the extrajudicial killings and their recent escalation, and underlining that they are a violation of international law and international humanitarian law and compromise the efforts to relaunch the peace process and must be stopped,

ES-10/13

Quote:

Condemning all acts of violence, terrorism and destruction,

Condemning in particular the suicide bombings and their recent intensification with the attack in Haifa,

Quote:

Reiterating the demand for an immediate cessation of all acts of violence, including all acts of terrorism, provocation, incitement and destruction,

Either way, I don't think Israel is anywhere close to trusting the international community (especially Europe, Arabia, Africa, Asia and South America) with the exception of the US. A more balanced position on much of the world's part would help heal riffs when there is eventual peace, but none of that matters.

Israel needs to get out of this conflict for it's own good, regardless of the degree to which its relations with the rest of the world have deteriorated.

As even it's most bitter enemies in the past agree, a resolution that results in 2 states and peace would nearly immediatly start the healing process (Arab nations put normalized diplomatic relations on the table for when that happens a few years ago).
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 11:14 pm
It's good to see you back, Craven.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 11:15 pm
Prolly won't last. I injured my back and have been bedridden a lot, meaning I get to spend some time online aside from work...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 08:01 am
So, Craven, reading through all the points you've expressed, what I get from it is that you are not necessarily opposed to Israel targeting the bad guys, though they have to show reasonable restraint even there. But you are opposed to them targeting generic civilian populations in retaliation for the actions of the bad guys. I presume this is true even if the civilian populations are believed to be harboring or protecting the bad guys?

Or you may believe Israel has no such assumption about anybody harboring anybody and is retaliating against generic Palestinians just to make a point. But how do you (generic you) know that?

Again, I confess that I do not know which way it is.

I agree that civilians should not be punished INSTEAD of the bad guys just because the bad guys got away due to no fault of the civilians. I am inclined to take a more pragmatic view however when civilians harbor and protect the bad guys in their midst. In that case, I think the civilians have to be more at risk. There is even room to question whether civilians who intentionally protect the bad guys are even civilian.

What the policy should be? I don't know. But you have given me some different perspective to chew on, and I thank you.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 02:01 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
So, Craven, reading through all the points you've expressed, what I get from it is that you are not necessarily opposed to Israel targeting the bad guys, though they have to show reasonable restraint even there. But you are opposed to them targeting generic civilian populations in retaliation for the actions of the bad guys.

Kinda, but what really motivates me is when I consider actions to be unhelpful to the peace process and especially when it's unhelpful to the acting entity itself.

Israel does things that I occasionally feel are not wise for both her and the overall process. Collective punishment is certainly something I frequently feel this way about but I would extend it to many other strategies that are perfectly legal, but that I feel are poor decisions for the big picture.

Quote:
I presume this is true even if the civilian populations are believed to be harboring or protecting the bad guys?

It all depends on what that entails. Combat codes of honour have long maintained that some kinds of aid to your enemy is not only acceptable but out of bounds for attack. Ironically the very document that codified this is the Geneva Conventions that this thread is about.

Swiss businessman, Henry Dunant called for this due to needless suffering in the Battle of Solferino. The Red Cross was founded and he called for nations to recognize certain norms in combat that became the Geneva Conventions the next year.

Thing is, this particular thread (and most of my qualms with Israel) have nothing to do with them pursuing people who are really "harboring and protecting" militants. I don't really remember any time I felt they did that in error.

When I speak of targeting civilians Israel has long acted to lash out at those in proximity to a militant for revenge and to try to discourage further behavior.

They do things like bulldoze the homes of family members of suicide bombers, some of whom are grieving at their child's choice of actions themselves. This is just one example of collective punishment that is not legal.

It's also an example of an act that I think is a poor choice of acts and it's also a pretty common one for Israel.

It doesn't seem to do much to discourage suicide bombings, it created situations in which family members would be compensated for the hit they were sure to take (by Saddam and other organizations) and this only served to help lionize the "martyrs".

Israel helps propagate this culture when they act in certain unwise ways to respond to attacks.

Quote:
Or you may believe Israel has no such assumption about anybody harboring anybody and is retaliating against generic Palestinians just to make a point. But how do you (generic you) know that?

Again, I confess that I do not know which way it is.

Well, without being able to read their minds it turns into deduction.

When Israel says they want nobody to sleep in Gaza and start military psycological operations (sonic booms throughout the night, shelling etc) to acheive that goal, I can only deduce that they know that not every one of the millions of Gaza civilians is involved in the kidnapping of this soldier and are consciously deciding to target them in military operations anyway.

When Israel decimated the civilian infrastructure (power, public offices, roads) I deduce that Israel has some idea of the disproportionate degree to which this affects innocent civilians versus the militant minority.

When Israel decides to arrest the lot of Palestinian ministers as potential bargaining chips I deduce that Israel knows that doing so indescriminately (or without sufficient discrimination) is tantamount to kidnapping and hostage taking themselves.

There are a lot of actions Israel takes with little effort to conceal that they are trying to pressure militants through pressure (euphemism for some pretty nasty stuff) on the Palestinian people.

I actually think some such strategies, though in the grey in terms of legality, are sometimes wise. But Israel also goes so far into the just plain overreacting and unwise that I think they continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

Quote:
I agree that civilians should not be punished INSTEAD of the bad guys just because the bad guys got away due to no fault of the civilians. I am inclined to take a more pragmatic view however when civilians harbor and protect the bad guys in their midst. In that case, I think the civilians have to be more at risk. There is even room to question whether civilians who intentionally protect the bad guys are even civilian.

I agree with this sentiment in many ways, and think it's a very tough and very serious question. My qualm isn't that this sometimes gets ugly and into the grey. I know that it is inevitable.

I'm contending that treating it fecklessly (e.g. habitually firing missiles into crows and letting the dice determine how many civilians die is what is morally and strategically wrong.

Quote:
What the policy should be? I don't know. But you have given me some different perspective to chew on, and I thank you.

It's a surprisingly calm discussion of the mideast! For that I thank you, it's hard to have meanigful dialogue on a subject when it's hijacked by emotive exchanges and it's been nice to talk to you and Lash dispassionately.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 02:23 pm
My pleasure. It's rare to be able to have a good civil discussion on an emotionally-charged issue. And I don't know if you are a person of religious faith, but I've offered a prayer for your sore back. Couldn't hurt. (Of course I don't know how sincere it was if a cure means you won't be around again. Smile)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:55 pm
Quote:
UN warns of Gazans' struggle to survive

· Israeli forces destroy water tanks and mains
· Operation will continue indefinitely, says Olmert

Conal Urquhart in Gaza City
Monday July 10, 2006
The Guardian

The population of the Gaza Strip is "struggling to survive" as a result of Israel's two-week assault, according to the UN, with water and electricity shortages and the breakdown of the sewerage system leading to the pumping of raw sewage into the sea.
"Daily life is a misery. Ordinary people are struggling. We are running around trying to put plasters on everything," said John Ging, the head of operations of the UN agency which looks after Palestinian refugees. "It's a dangerous and desperate situation and it's a myth that there is no humanitarian crisis."

He said in the north of Gaza Israeli forces had shot and destroyed rooftop water tanks and mains, while in the south more than 1,000 people had been forced to leave their homes. Rafah had no electricity because the army would not allow the UN to fix a minor fault, while the rest of Gaza had electricity for six hours a day.

Israeli forces began attacking Gaza after Palestinians captured Corporal Gilad Shalit in a raid on June 25. They have bombed a power station and roads, and killed more than 40 people, including civilians, in an attempt to secure his release and suppress rocket fire at Israel.

Yesterday Ehud Olmert, the Israeli prime minister, rejected criticism and said the operation would continue indefinitely. "We're talking about a war that will continue for a long time and it is complicated," he was quoted as saying during a cabinet meeting. "This is a war for which we cannot set down a timetable and we can't say how long it will continue."

An Israeli aircraft fired a missile at militants in Rafah yesterday but missed, killing a bystander and injuring four others.

Meanwhile, Ayman Hajaj buried his mother, brother and sister after they were killed by an Israeli missile that hit their garden as they drank tea outside on Saturday. Mr Hajaj, 28, said he had walked into the garden to see a flash of light and hear a deafening bang. He looked down and saw his mother and sister lying dead, then caught sight of his brother, whose arms were almost hanging off his body. "I was in a daze and my ears were ringing. I walked through the bodies for 10 metres before I realised what had happened. Four of my brothers were lying injured. I lifted one and carried him outside and an ambulance was already there."

Mr Hajaj's family live close to Karni crossing, where goods enter and leave Gaza. Israeli forces entered the area on Saturday and there has been sporadic fighting. Mr Hajaj said the family had stayed inside when it seemed dangerous but went to the walled garden at around 7.30pm to roast corn and drink tea. Witnesses believe that an Israeli unmanned aircraft fired the missile.

A spokeswoman for the Israeli army said the air force had fired a missile at a group of gunmen and it had hit them.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 01:33 pm
The Palestinian militants are the cause of the destruction, not Israel. Israel forced it's citizens to leave Gaza to allow the Palestinians a chance to live peacefully and to demonstrate a willingness to participate in the peace process with the Palestinian government. It has been repaid by many attacks from Gaza and the election of Hamas.

Israel is fully within their rights to punish those responsible for terrorism and they are doing so quite effectively. The palestinian militants do not want peace and their countrymen suffer because of it.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 01:57 pm
I believe that the essential cause of the continuation of the Israeli-Palestinian struggle over the past six (or eight, depending on from what point you count) decades has been the refusal of both sides in this dispute to consider anything but a state (or states) in which they will be utterly dominant, This precondition on both sides has precluded the creation or evolution of a state, large enough to sustain itself, and which could treat both peoples and their several cultural variants with justice and equity.

A result of this has been incessant competition for the limited resources and territory of the region, including air and mineral rights and, most importantly, control of water resources. Craven has correctly noted his opposition to the 'collective punishmrents' Israel has imposed on the Palestinians for various of their outrages. I believe there is also an element of this struggle for resources in these 'punishments'. It isn't at all clear that the territiries allocated to the Palestinians permit the evolution of a viable state, even with responsible and wise government (something they don't yet have).

I believe there will be no solution until one side (or both) in this struggle gives up its aspiration for an exclusive (Jewish or Palestinian) state, and seeks instead the creation of a single state with justice and reconciliation for all its people, as individuals and not as members of this or that group.

This, of course, flies in the face of the Zionist aspirations of Israel and, as well, the aspirations of their opponents for a Moslem state - both of which are fervently supported by the historical arguments of their proponents. However, the alternative, the war and suffering we have seen continue for decades, should be enough by now to convince a reasonable observer that the cost of these sectarian dreams is too high, and that they aren't entirely realizable anyway.

Israel has long had the upper hand in terms of economic and military power in this struggle. However, the economic. political, and even moral cost of this dominance constitute - in my view - a growing, serious threat to the future stability of that country - one that should gravely concern its leaders. The physical, economic, and political conditions of the Palestinians should give them a sense of urgency as well.

However, I am not hopeful. I fear this struggle will continue for several more decades until both parties finally let go of their unrealistic sectarian dreams.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 10:00 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Israel is fully within their rights to punish those responsible for terrorism and they are doing so quite effectively. The palestinian militants do not want peace and their countrymen suffer because of it.

Your statements here are either contradictory or your definition of effective just doesn't take into consideration efficacy and proportion.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 06:18 am
Interview and essay with/by Ari Shavit (of Haaretz). The first refers to a long article on Sharon which isn't available online but which was extraordinarily informative. Worth ordering the relevant issues.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/content/articles/060123on_onlineonly02

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/content/articles/060206ta_talk_shavit
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 09:13 am
InfraBlue wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Lash wrote:

Switzerland enters the ME war.

Hmm, they said international law was broken and don't want the military operation by Israel to cause serious humanitarian consequences for people living in the region.

But, of course, international law is not broken when a suicide bomber blows himself up in an Israeli marketplace.

Why should innocent civilians be punished for the actions of a few extremists?

Because it's not a few extremists. It's been the official policy of groups like Hamas.

So, why should innocent civilians be punished for the actions of groups like Hamas who number perhaps a couple thousand or so, compared to millions of innocent civilians?

Because Hamas is the official govt of the Palestinians,and any action taken by Hamas guerillas against Israel is an act of war.
Hitting power stations is a legitimate tactic in wartime.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 11:07 pm
mysteryman wrote:

Because Hamas is the official govt of the Palestinians,and any action taken by Hamas guerillas against Israel is an act of war.
Hitting power stations is a legitimate tactic in wartime.

Ignoring the colloquial definition of war, you have to be willing to consider that even in war gratuitous targeting of civilian infrastructure (i.e. of no real strategic military benefit aside from the impact it has on the civilian population) is leaning toward a scorched earth policy.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 06:13 am
But, that has been a tactic of war since forever.

I know, because of our technology and human rights rhetoric (which we back up pretty often), we are held to a standard that precludes such tactics, but war is war, yes?

(Not making a moral judgment about whether it's right ot wrong, but wondering when we redefined war.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 06:40 am
Lash wrote:
(Not making a moral judgment about whether it's right ot wrong, but wondering when we redefined war.)

Judicially, in 1949--look up the Geneva Conventions.
0 Replies