Innovative Good Governance!

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 06:08 pm
Hello all;

I was recently thinking of new, innovative ideas for good governance in our challenging environment today..where corruption seems to be spreading, often affecting the efficiency of public institutions and causing a huge divide between the government and its people, especially in developing countries.

What might be new, innovative, effective ideas for good governance in such a challenge? I wonder if any of you has any suggestion or idea or a project he/she has heard of or seen being implemented.

E-governance is one suggestion. Digital governance concept as well. But im mostly looking broader into the topic: ideas for improving good governance from any perspective: cultural, manegerial, technoligical or political. I'm sure the political marketplace needs those ideas for change in so many societies around the world.

I wonder what suggestions or ideas you guys have.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 620 • Replies: 4
No top replies

vonderjohn

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 09:18 am
I have an idea:

Promoting good governance through media!

HOw does that sound?

Meaning, promoting good governance through public serivce broadcasting, community media, and other sorts of media outlets that will allow the public to monitor, evaluate and hold government institutions accountable.

What do you guys think?
0 Replies

paull

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 09:53 am
John, I think you are right, and it is already here. The internet has created a new way to disseminate information quickly, if not always accurately. How would we know that John Murtha has serious ethical difficulties otherwise, to use one recent example.

I think you are wrong, btw, in your assumption that corruption is increasing. The stakes are certainly higher now, but there has never been a time, in my country or yours, without corruption, and before the Depression, graft was much more usual than it is today.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 04:23 am
interesting

what are more cases about the internet?
can you elaborate about this Murtha case? How was it revealed using the internet?

What do you think of Public Service Broadcasting and good governance? would it be a good tool for facilitating an effective governance system?
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 10:20 am
Corruption is no more prevelant today than it was in 1906. In fact, in the United States the amount of corruption is almost certainly LESS than it was in the past. I know it doesn't seem that way, but just a bit of historical study should convince you otherwise. There may be a wide gulf between the People and government around the world, but the cause isn't necessarily corruption, nor is that gulf something new.

What to do about the "problem"? Cleave ever more tightly to the Constitution and representative government. Remain critical of the opposition Party, but do it without pushing them into ever more radical positions. Support the President and his administration, whoever he might be or whichever Party he's registered with. The two approaches (support first, and critize appropriately) are an important part of the checks and balances that provide some protection against tyrany.

Innovative ideas are more likely to go wildly wrong than to improve the nature of Man.
0 Replies