I love waiting tables!

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 08:02 pm
Hi! So I am a senior in college, and I have been working my way through school waiting tables. Now, I have no idea what I want to do with the rest of my life. I have entertained the idea of teaching and have also thought about an office job of some kind (maybe become a copy writer for a little while). But one thing I know for sure - I love waiting tables!

I'm not saying I want to do it for the rest of my life because I don't want terrible vericose veins or anything. But truthfully, I really like working with people and the fast paced environment that resturants provide. Sometimes I wonder if I would be a failure if I were to become a professional waitress. But hey, I like it and it isn't bad money so who knows.

I just hate to think I worked my tushie off in college maintaining a 3.8GPA to wait tables as a career. I don't think that will be my career. I'm just musing on how it's one thing that I really like doing.

Did any of you have a starter job that you really enjoyed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,588 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 07:21 am
Hi danieljean!!!!

Haven't heard from you in a while...how've you been?

Waiting tables can lead to a job in restaurant management. That's what my sister did.

Or, if you found something you really love, give it a shot. A good wait person has the skills of being able to read people well, which is no small feat.

I'll bet some waitress make a lot more than other professional jobs, depending on where you work.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 07:38 am
Waiting tables also teaches patience and helps with learning the most efficient ways of doing things (you learn fast so that your feet and back don't hurt quite as much at the end of the day).

My first non-babysitting job -- I swear this is true -- was wearing a sandwich board sign and walking up and down Commonwealth Avenue. It was fun; I met a lot of people.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 07:46 am
What's your major?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 07:54 am
Re: I love waiting tables!
daniellejean wrote:
I love waiting tables!

cool, could you get me a coffee and a slice of pie Very Happy
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 08:57 am
It isn't the actual job of waiting tables that you enjoy daniellejean, it's your positive frame of mind you bring to the task at hand. That's how I read your post anyway.

Best wishes in your bright career.
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 09:09 am
To answer the question, I am an English major - pretty broad I guess.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 02:11 pm
You enjoy waiting tables because:

You like working with the public.

You like taking care of people

You enjoy working under pressure.

You enjoy being part of a well-functioning team.

Chai has a good point about restaurant management. Theatrical work might be a possibility, but waiting tables pays more.

Do you enjoy intellectual challenge?
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 02:25 pm
indeed.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 03:15 pm
How would you feel about a teaching career?
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 09:14 pm
That's actually what I'm planning on doing. I hope to get an M.A.T. in French or English within the next four years. The thing is, I'm not that great with kids. And I don't have a lot of patience with people who aren't as "quick". I suppose that is something you learn in your methodology courses. But I'm afraid of being a bad teacher because of my patience issues. Somehow these issues don't seem to come up in the restaurant business for me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 11:18 am
Danielle--

How do you react when the kitchen messes up an order?

What sort of restaurant patron annoys you most?
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 08:37 pm
I like to think I react in a dignified manner. Sometimes I get a little anxious and start racing around a bit. But most of the time, I follow procedure - apologise to the guest, get the order fixed a.s.a.p., and move on.

The type of guest that annoys me the most are those who treat you like you are inferior to them just because you are waiting on them. I don't usually let this show though. I understand that regardless of how preoccupied or angry a guest might appear, that is their baggage and I have to allow them to put it on me and then allow it to roll off my shoulder. I only spoke back to a guest once, and I was having an anxiety attack when this happened.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 08:50 pm
wow, youre gonna succeed in anything you do. Youve got the code all busted out already. Whatever you do, you take OWNERSHIP of the task or project or sale etc. You are the face that makes that place great and clients keep coming back.
Believe it or not, Ive had people working in my group who had more degrees than a thermometer and they never "got" what you already know Keep it up .

Like Noddy said, you brought all that stuff to your job and wherever you go itll shine through.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 11:48 am
There are two big differences between restaurant patrons and students. Students of whatever age will be passionately for you or against you.

Also, students come with parents.
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 02:31 pm
Just curious Noddy, are you a teacher? If so, what age group do you teach?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 02:57 pm
Make a career of school and waiting tables. Then when you finally get tired of waiting tables and school you'll have multiple degrees. You could become a professor or you could get a degree in Hotel/Restaurant. Otherwise from what i've heard and seen about English majors they most commonly teach. Right?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 05:27 pm
Danielle--

I've taught all levels from nursery school to college freshmen.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 08:49 am
Amigo wrote:
Make a career of school and waiting tables. Then when you finally get tired of waiting tables and school you'll have multiple degrees. You could become a professor or you could get a degree in Hotel/Restaurant. Otherwise from what i've heard and seen about English majors they most commonly teach. Right?

Amigo, my brother has an English degree and he's an IT Project Manager. An articulate one, to be sure.

There's definitely some $$ to be made in hotel and restaurant management, if you stay with it, daniellejean. And, even if you don't, it's good that you're enjoying yourself now.
0 Replies