Funny Website of the day

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 09:52 am
I was doing a quick websearch for voting information and stumbled on this site...

Inscribase y vote

Anyone else think this is very funny?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 531 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 04:01 pm
I have decided to try this site and see what happens.

I assume this will put me on the GOP en espaƱol mailing list. This should get me some interesting political literature to read.

I will let you all know if I get anything good.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 04:52 pm
I'm amused at the URL. "Espanol" and "RegisterToVote." You'd think they'd pick one language and stick to it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 07:44 pm
No I don't think it's funny.

Why? Is it supposed to be?

Even if I spoke more than 1 language, that doesn't mean I might not be more comfortable in reading one, when it's an important issue where I might misinterpret a key word or two.

My grandmother lived in this country for over 60 years, and read the Wall Street Journal in English daily, but still enjoyed reading novels in her native tongue.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 09:36 pm
Chai,

I find it ironic because the English only thing is a Republican talking point-- especially when it comes to voting.

The Republicans are trying to eliminate all ballots and voting instructions in any language but English. A Republican sponsored site to register voters in Spanish strikes me as quite funny.

From my political perspective of course, the more Spanish speakers who vote the better. I suspect that the number of Spanish speaking voters who register on the Republican website is pretty slim.

It wouldn't surpise me if I am the only one.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 10:50 pm
Would you be surprised to learn there are a great many latino Republicans?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:59 am
The question, my dear Ticomaya, is how many of the "great number" of Latinos who are Republicans want the ability to register and vote in Spanish.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 09:06 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
The question, my dear Ticomaya, is how many of the "great number" of Latinos who are Republicans want the ability to register and vote in Spanish.

I dunno ... but I'm not sure whether you think it's the question, or the answer, that is "funny."
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 06:53 am
A little of column A and a little of column B.

Don't you think it is strange for the Republicans, after having pushed bills making it impossible to do business with the government in any language other than English, to make an effort to register people to vote in Spanish?

Doesn't this conflict with their principles?
0 Replies