Chicagoans, Give Me A Job

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 12:53 pm
So, the day has finally arrived: I must give up my soul to the man.

I am looking for full-time jobs in the CITY (not suburbs) of Chicago, USA.

While I take a brief or eternal respite from teaching, I would like to find a writing/education-related job that will allow me to exercise some creativity.

If you live in Chicago and are not put off by my A2K persona, and by some amazing miracle you have connections or just advice, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HELP ME.

I have two worthless degrees, a B.A. in English and an M.F.A. in creative writing. I have teaching and editing experience. I have some publication credits.

I have a fortune in student loans, and hell, to pay.

Thank you and God bless.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,101 • Replies: 17
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 03:27 pm
Sounds like an advertising firm resume, to me.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 03:31 pm
I understand that gatos/possum/fartbubble is seeking a tutor.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 06:00 pm
Gargamel, Do you have any idea how cold it is in Chicago in January? You might want to rethink this, man.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 06:06 pm
are you gonna say that it's any colder in chicago than in iowa, lady? it sure as hell is warmer in chitown than it is up here in 'sconsin...
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 06:10 pm
Yea, I think it's colder next to that damn lake. You're right though, 'sconsin's way colder. Madison is the coldest place on Earth second only to the North Pole.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 06:11 pm
well, there's all that stuff 'twixt here and the north pole, but that's all no-place, anyway...
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 06:16 pm
'm just sayin' that it's going to be a shock to the Gargamel system coming from Atlanta (is it?) to Chicago. 'm just sayin'.

I've lived in the upper latitudes myy whole life. I's used to it. And even then, every year I say I'm moving somewher's warm.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 09:01 pm
Actually, I'm looking forward to winter. See, I was born and raised in Milwaukee, Wis., survived 18 winters there. But I haven't been north in four years and my blood has definitely thinned.

Nevertheless I'm looking forward to what experts refer to as "stuff," as in "stuff to do," and also, "ways to spend time," which life in small town Alabama has a tendency to lack (I still love you Bama!), unless you're into drinking or reading, which come to think of it, I am, but I digress...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 09:02 pm
roger wrote:
Sounds like an advertising firm resume, to me.

Good to know, roger. I've actually just submitted my resume to such a a place.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 12:05 am
So, the choice is to curb your sense of humor, or capitalize on it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 12:34 am
Long ago and far away, my dad was head of the beginning tv dept at Foote Cone & Belding, on Superior, in Chicago. Didn't last all that long, though we got extravagant Christmas cards for many years after. I considered advertising myself for a bit, and that might have been right, re me, in considering it (looking back from here, later) but I fell under the sway of the book by Vance Packard, The Hidden Persuaders. I was fourteen and convinced by anyone with an argument that held together for a bit. Whatever. To this day I have a love hate thing with advertising, am keen on the best ads.

Seems a realm for creativity, but is - or was - famously cut-throat. Don't know if that is actually true now. PR seems another possibility. I've had personal qualms about PR too. Still, one can promote imaginatively that which one is at least neutral about... Perhaps there are PR firms that rep products you are fine with...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 12:36 am
But creative writing. That also suggest employment in the growth industry of writing grant proposals.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 12:59 am
Quote:
I was fourteen and convinced by anyone with an argument that held together for a bit.

Perfectly suitable for advertising.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 06:13 am
Re: Chicagoans, Give Me A Job
Gargamel wrote:

While I take a brief or eternal respite from teaching, I would like to find a writing/education-related job that will allow me to exercise some creativity.

If you live in Chicago and are not put off by my A2K persona, and by some amazing miracle you have connections or just advice, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HELP ME.

I have two worthless degrees, a B.A. in English and an M.F.A. in creative writing. I have teaching and editing experience. I have some publication credits.

Thank you and God bless.

if you come farther south,
i could use a really good whore.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 10:55 am
Re: Chicagoans, Give Me A Job
shewolfnm wrote:
Gargamel wrote:

Thank you and God bless.

if you come farther south,
i could use a really good whore.

That's no problem, but I only accept crack cocaine as currency.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:05 am
your a cheap bitch.

i was thinking of offering some good smack

but if second rate is ok with you..
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:23 am
shewolfnm wrote:
your a cheap bitch.

i was thinking of offering some good smack

but if second rate is ok with you..

It was all snobby posturing. Truth? I'll take crank, whippets, spray paint, whatever.
0 Replies