Advice on solo (female) visit to Paris please.

smorgs

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 04:05 pm
Thank you everyone for your posts.

smorgs
xxx
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 04:55 pm
That sounds smart, Walter... any particular suburbs you like particularly?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 10:58 pm
Courbevoie - La Defense is in walking distance .... or just one train stop away.

Charenton/St. Maurice - two Metro stations in (short) walking distance.

Both (or those three, to be correct) towns have a good variety of hotels from cheap to average, have a couple of not too bad restaurants (and fast food), shops, post offices, bancs etc. .

There are certainly some more, but these are the ones, I went to the last couple of times. ("Best Western") :wink:
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 11:12 pm
Boy is A2K slow right now. Anyway, I saw on TV where people rented segways for city tours. That would help speed up the walking tours. Also, I read that in the Netherlands they had a buggy with a 49cc engine for touring. Maybe there is one in Paris too.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 12:32 am
...I'm still here with my clip board

jotting/smiling/nodding

...carry on

S
x
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 09:56 am
I can recommend a hotel, sarah. I was in Paris a couple of years ago by myself and stayed here:

http://www.hotel-royalphare-paris.com/

I just sent some other folks there, and they were pleased, too. It's a fairly typical small hotel (TINY elevator!), but it's reasonably priced and clean and you can't beat the location. It's within walking distance of the Eiffel Tower, and there's an ATM, a local market, a patisserie and a Metro stop just outside the front door.

Notre Dame is good, but don't miss Ste. Chappelle. It's a few blocks away, next to the former palace (Ministry of Justice now.) It was the private chapel of the French royalty and is considered the most exquisite church in France. I believe it.

Also...the restaurants are very expensive in the evenings. I ate great lunches there instead, then picked up fresh bread, olives, cheeses & wine and ate picnic-style on the lawn in front of the Eiffel Tower each night. The lawn fills up with people to watch the sunset and the lights come up on the Tower. People bring guitars, birthday cakes, everything. It's like a giant celebration every night. Then after it's dark, walk under the Tower to the old-fashioned carousel and enjoy some ice cream while you watch the boats going up and down the Seine. Paris doesn't get any better than that.

Oh! Red double-decker buses in front of the Tower during the daytime offer good sightseeing tours. You can get off at any of the stops, spend as much time as you like, then get back on. There's another bus about every 15 minutes or so.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 12:49 pm
Thank you eva.

x
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 09:06 am
Just for two days at the end of July (29 - 31) ... ... ... still in the planning phase?
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 10:28 am
Smorgs,

I'm anxious to hear how you trip was. I just came upon this thread because I am planning a solo trip in the Spring. Trying to decide exactly where though. My top choices are: Paris, Northern Italy or Vienna or a combo. I'd like to spend 2 weeks as I'll be coming from the States and want to make the trip worth it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 11:23 am
There's a different thread by smorgs reporting about this trip, martybarker.

I'm alone in Paris next Saturday/Sunday, btw, and start shortly to stay a couple of days in (southern) Britanny (alone, too, .... until now).
0 Replies