Advice on solo (female) visit to Paris please.

smorgs

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 02:38 pm
I am thinking of going on a solo trip to Paris. I have never been there, and I have never been away on my own. it's high time I had an adventure...

Just for two days at the end of July (29 - 31). I want to see The louvre, Notra Dame, Pompidou, Eiffel... the usual touristy things. And eat 'real' French food off a red check table cloth.

Those of you familiar with solo travel, and with Paris experience - I would welcome any advice.

* I hear the Airport is a fair distance from the centre - is it practical to stay in one of the chain hotels and go into Paris each day on the Metro?

* If it's better to stay in the City, can anyone recommend a hotel in a safe area (budget, but clean and nice)?

* How easy will it be as a lone woman, what areas should I avoid? I am from a large city (Manchester) so I'm quite sensible and street-wise, but in an unfamiliar place, I am more vulnerable.

thanks!

s
x
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,275 • Replies: 29
No top replies

the prince

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 01:44 am
Oooooooooh nice !!! But beware of them French, lone woman and (supposeldy) the worlds greatest lovers...what a potent combination....

Unfortunately, I do not have any lovers in Paris else .....
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 04:13 am
Have fun smorgs.
Have your wits about you, dont trust strangers.
Take maps, learn key phrases.

If your going to the Louvre, the Musee D'Orsey is just over the river form there so I recomend you go there to.
And go to Sacre Ceur(cant spell it)
Also if you get the chance go up the Eiffel tower at night, its amazing.

Watch out for the drivers, they are maniacs.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 04:58 am
Stay as central as possible. It can be tiring to sightseeing so you might like to go to the hotel to rest a bit, put on other shoes whatever so it is impractical to stay out of town. Also you might feel like taking a cab home if you have been out in the evening.
First thing to do is to take a sight seeing coach of Paris so you get an impression of the city. Best is this hop on and off busses

http://www.conciergerie.com/opentour.htm

Then you not only get around easely on the same time as you get information about what you see.
You can always get off and take a closer look and the get on again.
The next days you can then see the museums you wish to see.

As a single woman you can go out and eat any time - but if you feel insecure about being out in the evenings take your main meal during the day where ever you are. In the evening you can go out for something smaller around your hotel.
If you have the money there are also coach tours for night sight seeing which could be of interest for you.

Have fun and enjoy yourself.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 06:04 am
Going to Paris, eh?

My advice.....take a really comfortable pair of trainers/walking shoes.

Sacre Coeur alone has about 3.5 million steps, if you're going up right to the top. Once up there though, the views are spectacular, if it's a nice day.
Montmartre is right next to the Sacre Coeur and shouldn't be missed.

I arrived in Paris via the TGV from Geneva, so I don't know the details as regards the Airport and its location, but I would say that if you only have three days in total, it would be best to stay as central as possible, so you have most of the "sights" within a stones throw.

Here's a good website for reading up on places to visit.....

http://www.bugeurope.com/paris/sights.html

Have a great trip, Smorgs.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 06:19 am
About the place to stay I totally agree: both Orly and Charles de Gaulle have frequent and fast connections to Paris.

Three days, however, seems to be reality just 1½, I could imagine.

So it's a great job you plan to do (that's why I go to Paris so often: trying to see all that :wink: ).

I really would suggest to go for one of the guided tours, by bus or boat, to get an overview ... and then pick out what you find most interesting.

As for travelling alone (which I did the last half dozen time): a little knowledge of French is a great advantage.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 10:37 am
Thank you so much for all the replies guys. I'm just about to go into the links and have a good mooch.

Walter, my only French is:

chat
chien
fenetre
port
voulez vous cuchet avec moi
L'escargo
billet deux

enough to get me around?

S
x
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 11:15 am
smorgs wrote:

chat
chien
fenetre
port
L'escargo
billet deux

enough to get me around?

S
x

You'll surely have fun :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 11:20 am
smorgs wrote:

chat
chien
fenetre
port
L'escargo
billet deux

enough to get me around?

S
x

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 11:25 am
smorgs wrote:

chat
chien
fenetre
port
L'escargo
billet deux

enough to get me around?

S
x

0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 02:30 pm
Pardon? (in French)

... I didn't quite catch that Walter

... I'll what, Walter?

....have fun, did you say, Walter?

(snigger)

Le xxxx
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 03:59 pm
Prince,

Quote:
Unfortunately, I do not have any lovers in Paris else .....

Wot no lovers? In gay parri? Say it aint so Prince, better find some, quick!
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 02:50 am
I think I posted this at the wrong time (A2K) glitches annawl.

Can anyone recommend a good (cheapish) Hotel in the centre that would be suitable for a lone woman?

Something along the lines of The GeorgeV, but costing about a lot less...

I've been trawling the net, but havn't found one yet, what do you think of me just 'taking my chances' and finding somewhere when I arrive, or do you think that it is better to have somewhere first?

S
x
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 02:50 am
I think I posted this at the wrong time (A2K) glitches annawl.

Can anyone recommend a good (cheapish) Hotel in the centre that would be suitable for a lone woman?

Something along the lines of The GeorgeV, but costing about a lot less...

I've been trawling the net, but havn't found one yet, what do you think of me just 'taking my chances' and finding somewhere when I arrive, or do you think that it is better to have somewhere first?

S
x
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 02:54 am
... see what I mean about the glitches! It's driving me mad, A2K is my only source of relevent knowledge and impartial advice. Please, if you can recommend hotels, I know A2K is difficult to post on at the moment, but I would be grateful, and would quite happilly send you a postcard.

sarah
x
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 03:14 am
After you have climed all those steps at MontMarte watch out for the bird man, he whistles to them and feeds them.

I know this sounds odd but look at the lamp posts while you are there, they are quite nice.Also if yuo walk along the river by the louvre and Musee D'Orsay look at the trees,t they look like they have been painted by numbers, blocks of colour all over the trunks!Very odd.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 03:25 am
Thank you matgirl, I will def watch for them. May I ask where you stayed?

x
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 07:10 am
Cant remember exactly but it was above a McDonalds which came in handy and we walked form it to the Eiffel tower.

I think Im getting the Arc de Triumphe mixed up with the Champs Elysee!
anyhoo Ive had a look at maps.It seems the lovre/Musee D'Orsey/Notre Dame/Eiffel tower are all along the river so you could take a boat whenever you like and travel to those places,should be lovely.I think you can eat on the boats too.

Mont Marte isnt in the area,it kind of goes river (south) Gar Nord(handy train station I think, in the middle)then Mont Marte(north)within travelling distance so maybe look for a place between these.

I also recomend seeing the Versailles palace.

Have a google images and type in .paris tourist map'.You can se where things are in relation to each other.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 09:09 am
I've never been to Paris so I can't be any help on hotels, but I'll pipe up with the opinion that given your short time there, staying in city seems smart and that it would be simpler to find a hotel now instead of waiting until you get there.

I have found good hotels in Italy by walking into the tourist offices in different cities -- actually never had a hotel I got through the tourist office that I didn't like fairly well -- but it is tourist season right now so the office might be crowded, and that wait might consume some of your already short vacation.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 09:32 am
Paris info - that's the official torist bureau's website - might be really very helpful.

I suppose, you'll get some difficulties booking a room in the INNEr city at a decent price .... perhaps, you try the suburbian area as well.
(Which I do generally. Especially, when the hotel is close to a Metro/RER station, this is an even better alternative ... according to my experiences of having done such [in Paris] now for 20 years ar least once per year. :wink: )
0 Replies