Gubernatorial candidate wants labor camps for I. immigrants

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 10:18 am
There's a lot I'd like to say about this one, but the best way to put it would be... Shocked

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- A Republican gubernatorial candidate's call for creation of a forced labor camp for illegal immigrants drew rebukes Friday from two GOP lawmakers, who labeled it a low point in the immigration debate.

Don Goldwater, nephew of the late Sen. Barry Goldwater, caused an international stir this week when EFE, a Mexican news service, quoted him as saying he wanted to hold undocumented immigrants in camps to use them "as labor in the construction of a wall and to clean the areas of the Arizona desert that they're polluting."

The article described Goldwater's plan as a "concentration camp" for migrants.

Goldwater, a candidate for governor in Arizona, said in a statement Friday that his comments were taken out of context. He said he was calling for a work program for convicted nonviolent felons, similar to "tried and tested, effective and accepted practices" used by state and local jails.

But two Republicans, Arizona Sen. John McCain and Rep. Jim Kolbe, called Goldwater's comments "deeply offensive" and asked state Republicans to reject his candidacy in the Sept. 12 primary.

"That Mr. Goldwater is either unaware of or indifferent to the loaded symbolism, injustice and un-Americanism of his 'plan' to address the many serious issues caused by illegal immigration reveals his flaws as a candidate and a stunning lack of respect for the basic values of a generous and decent society," McCain said in a statement.

Kolbe said that if the comments are true, Goldwater "has demonstrated his complete unworthiness for public office, and I am confident he will be soundly rejected by Republicans from the party of Barry Goldwater, who consistently demonstrated his compassion and respect for all people. This is a sad day in the national debate on immigration policy."

McCain and Kolbe favor a guest-worker program for illegal immigrants.

Goldwater made a similar comment at an April anti-immigration rally.

"Build us that wall _ now!" Goldwater said, referring to a proposal to add 700 miles of fences along the U.S.-Mexico border. He promised then that if elected, he would put illegal immigrants in a tent city on the border and use their labor to build the wall.

Barry Goldwater, the former Arizona senator, was the Republican presidential nominee in 1964.

Link to article

Of course, this is just a "Drudge report," so it could be nonsense. Lets just hope that's the case.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 679 • Replies: 3
No top replies

nimh

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 09:24 pm
Shocked indeed...
0 Replies

Zipp City US of A

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 09:41 pm
Americans are hypocrites, as they like to feel good about themselves for not allowing slavery in the US while most of the goods they buy are made form slave labor.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 09:51 pm
Zipp City US of A wrote:
Americans are hypocrites, as they like to feel good about themselves for not allowing slavery in the US while most of the goods they buy are made form slave labor.

Speaking as an American, I'd have to at least stick up for us a bit here.

Yeah, the whole "purchasing products from countries that utilize child (nearly slave) labor and all that is an issue, but in this instance it's just one insane idea from one moronic person.

You'll notice that even other Republicans came out against this guy. As many problems as I may have with the Republican party, I wouldn't hold this particular idiots comments against them (much less America as a whole).

Still, what the hell could possess someone to say such a thing? "Hmmm... lets take undesireables and put them into forced labor camps...sounds great!" Rolling Eyes
0 Replies