Move Over, Right Wing Radio: the Liberals Are Coming

PDiddie

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 02:49 am
Quote:
A political explosion happened this weekend in New York, and it may be the big one that gives Karl Rove nightmares. It could mean the end of George W. Bush's seemingly unending ability to tell overt lies to the American people and not get called on them by the American media.

At a talk radio industry event put on by Talkers Magazine, Gabe Hobbs, Clear Channel Radio's vice president of News/Talk/Sports, announced that in the near future this corporate owner of over 1200 radio stations is considering programming some of their talk stations "in markets where there are already one or two stations doing conservative talk" with all-day back-to-back all-liberal talk show hosts.

Using the analogy of how music radio stations wouldn't run different categories of music on a single programming day, Hobbs said talk radio was similarly "all about format." This, he said, is why liberal talkers haven't succeeded when sandwiched between conservatives - radio stations shouldn't mix formats but instead should market to specific listener niches. Understanding this, it's clear that only all-liberal/all-day programming can fill the demand for liberal talk radio, Hobbs' comments suggested.

The timing of Clear Channel's bombshell is interesting. Why this particular week and month?

Click on the link for
the full story.

Quote:
The handwriting is on the wall for right-wing talk radio: To build profits, programmers must reach beyond diehard Republicans to unserved listeners. This means bringing in the center and left of the political spectrum. Thus, we're today seeing the early fuse-fizzing of the Next Big Boom in talk radio, and many in the industry openly acknowledge it...

Quote:
Many industry watchers were dumbfounded at the overt bias and political boosterism. Even BBC Director General Greg Dyke weighed in, saying, "I was shocked while in the United States by how unquestioning the broadcast news media was during this war." Across America and around the world, savvy media watchers wondered out loud why our giant networks and media companies would suddenly become so overtly partisan, loudly and unquestioningly kissing up to the Bush administration? And why did they ignore a multi-million-dollar audience of tens of millions of Democratic/liberal listeners - people with upscale demographics who advertisers would love to reach?

On my radio show a few weeks ago, I suggested the answer was simple - it was all about June 2nd.

Click here for the rest.

What do you think about this viewpoint about what I have believed previously was simple laziness and run-of-the-mill corruption on the part of the major media outlets in the United States?

Could we really be on the verge of an explosion in liberal talk radio?

And what will that mean for the nominating process and the election?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,544 • Replies: 46
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 09:47 am
Liberal broadcasters
What is your radio listening experience? Mine used to be limited to a news radio station, which I listened to while driving to and from work in California. Now, in New Mexico, my radio choice is a classical music station, which I listen to while driving. Other than that, I don't listen to radio.

Right wing conservative radio and TV broadcasters nearly all use a bombastic, arrogant, aggressively rude, take no prisoners communication style. I've often wondered why their audience are attracted to such bellicose rantings. Is there a connection between those avid talk radio listeners and their education, religion, politics, geographical area?

Can centrist and liberal broadcasters develop a following and remain popular by communicating in a civil manner? Will listener's attention span stay with intelligent presentation of facts, in context, instead of only sound bites?

Finally, do centrists and liberals tend to listen to talk radio, or do they have better things to do?

---bumblebeeboogie
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 05:12 pm
C-SPAN
I guess my equivalent of talk radio is TV's C-SPAN on weekends when there are 24 hours of authors talking or being intelligently interviewed about their books, and panel discussions about books and their related industries. I really enjoy and appreciate what C-SPAN is doing for readers and the book industry. as well as history, journalism, and politics.
It's among the very best on TV.

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 05:13 pm
Moderator, please delete this duplicate post
BBB
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 09:42 pm
For what it's worth...I hear an old member - anon - is now hosting a radio talk show in northern California. I don't receive it here in the northeast - so if anyone does, plase tell me how it is.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 09:19 am
B^3

Also remember that most liberals don't need to be TOLD what to think as we can do that by ourselves.

As for radio, basically NPR for news, I'll sometimes patch my computer into WBAI or KPFA though.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 08:36 pm
My radio listening time is limited. I usually listen to Pacifica or old music. I just think that liberals and uncommitted folk do not spend that much time listening. The Conservatives find re-enforcement of their core beliefs through the ranting. If deprived of the aggression and name calling I think they would begin to feel isolated and powerless.
It is an almost insurmountable task to take that heroe's aura off of George Bush when everybody in the nation keeps waving flags and reciting mantras of patriotism. Liberals seem to think that if the truth is obvious people should buy it without coercion. In this they seem pretty naive. Unless we present an on-fire candidate with a message so contageous it can't be ignored, the Dem is likely to suffer the same fate as Bob Dole.
I don't know - Just a few thoughts I had -
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 03:19 am
I'm going to rant a bit about media consolidation and "YOUR" local TV news.

Normally, I don't watch the local news, because there's only so many hidden camera exposes of Al's Beef Emporium that I can take. Most people don't travel as peripatetically as I do, and so they think that local news is home-grown for their local market, by local editors and local reporters and local newscasters and so on.

But it's not really; most local news programs follow certain market-tested formulae and provide local news that, once you wander around the country a bit, you'll find looks exactly like the local news everywhere else. It's the classic rock band twist where the lead singer slurs a couple of local landmarks into his mumblings between songs, and the fans go ape ****.

Only instead of saying, "No town rocks like Springfield rocks!" the news goes something like this: Lead Story (fire, murder, national interest, etc.) - Local Story (more fire, murder, etc) - the 'Investigative' Piece - Weather - Sports - Human Interest/Funny Bit. Fill in a cast of local politicians, murderers, victims and locales, add water, bake 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Serves upwards of 600,000 homes each night in your market.

The reporting team consists of two-three white people, and one-two ethnic people, of which one or two are women. The men are older than the women; the women are blonder than the men.

Let me know if any of these taglines sound familiar:

Complete [your city here] News Coverage
Live, Local, Late-Breaking
News You Can Use
[your city]'s Number 1/Fastest-Growing News Source

Anyway, I've been trying to avoid this, but here's what's going on the world right now:

--The President is in the Middle East trying to solve a millennia-old conflict
--SARS and mad cow disease is still out there
--There is a new genocidal war starting up in Africa
--People in the US and the UK are just getting around to the idea that we have been duped on this whole WMD thing
--The authorities have found the mad abortion clinic/Olympic bombing suspect after 7 years
--Saddam's alive
--So is Osama
--Locally, Texas faces a huge budget crisis that legislalators attempted to solve by a) gutting every single social program and b) making the Powerball lottery available
--Enron fugitives continue to be 'brought to justice' at a glacial pace

and a million other tragedies large and small.

But the geniuses who run the local news here led off with:

Sammy Sosa has a corked bat.

Talk amongst yourselves while I explode in splenetic rage.

[sounds of chairs being throw around, expensive electronics being smashed, frightened people running to and fro screaming at the top of their lungs, gunfire, punches into walls, a full-on spastic fit of violence]

Ahem. Just to be clear: I live in Houston.

Sammy Sosa plays baseball.

For the Cubs.

In Chicago.

Why is that the lead story on the local news? Is a corked bat really more important the historic meeting between the Prime Ministers of Palestine and Israel and the President? Was SARS contained when I wasn't looking? Did someone put an end to ethnic violence in Africa? Did we catch all those terrorists we've been looking for? Has the state budget crunch been fixed? Did everyone stop killing each other? Did peace, love and understanding break out while I was digging in my couch for the remote?

Anyway, I'm taking it as an omen of things to come with the new consolidation rules put forth by the FCC. Soon, there will be at most 4, and more likely 3 or 2, dominant media organizations that will control what you see and hear about the world. The local media, already the vanguard, will lead the way to the homogenization of news and information.

The rationale seems to be this: Since local news is a complete sham piped into our homes from some far away market research group, why not just make it official?

Bonus Question: If the media is so liberal, why aren't conservatives up in arms about consolidation? Answer: Because they know the media isn't liberal; it just makes a convenient straw man to punch whenever they need a boogie man.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 06:28 am
edgar:

Alas those candidates are also the ones who wish to see the party as a party of the PEOPLE as opposed the contributors.

I also fear that the next "Great Leader" will not be a politician but a revolutionary:(

Diddie:

If that be the case then the 'Net may be the only hope.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 01:48 pm
KPFA, yeah, how I miss my old stomping grounds. Great music, too!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 02:49 pm
KPFA
sc, KPFA - Pacifica Radio. I did several broadcast interviews for them in the 1960s and 1970s. Their radio station in Berkeley was a mystery to me in how they managed to broadcast with the equipment they had. Their staff was amazing at getting by with little financial support compared to other broadcasters. It was community support that saved KPFA year after year.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 08:18 pm
sc:

Never listened to the music--maybe I should?
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 11:11 pm
NeoGuin wrote:
sc:

Never listened to the music--maybe I should?

Definitely! In addition to all the good social/political talk shows, they have shows with every kind of music. It's all there for you; just pick what you like and leave the rest, as they say. I'm a sucker for topical folk and so I would listen to that as well as Celtic folk. However, they have all sorts for all sorts of us 'alienated hip' people :wink: .

BTW: love your avatar!
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 12:09 pm
I heard the two magic words "Celtic Folk"!

I may have to start popping in for music.

It's weird during the Iraq Invasion I'd listen to "Wake-Up Call" on WBAI and then switch to the "Morning Show" on KPFA.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:21 am
Have you heard Mary Black's "Song for Ireland"? Amazing!
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 08:48 pm
sc:

I think I heard that on St. Patties Day!
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 05:38 pm
BBB: oooh, just realized I was awestruck for a while but that I still should have commented on your contribution to KPFA. How cool! How cool to be in Berkeley in the 1960's and 1970's! :wink:
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 10:58 pm
Sweetcomplications
Sweetcomplications, so many Berkeley stories, so little time. I just had to get used to Reagan's tear gas when grocery shopping at the Coop (where I was elected to the Board of Directors) or browsing in at the world's best book store, Cody's on Telegraph Avenue.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 11:28 pm
Yes, BumbleBeeBoogie, Cody's Books on Telegraph Avenue. Are you also acquainted with City Lights Bookstore in the City?

Board of Director of the Co-op, eh? KPFA broadcaster, eh? Why did you ever leave?

Now, what was the name of the small club, I believe it was also on Telegraph but much closer to Oakland, where the patrons (and this was in the 1980's!) balked at the $4 to see the wonderful folksingers? Was that the, oh, it's on the tip of my tongue . . .

Ah, yes, The People's Republic of Berkeley.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 12:36 am
sw
sw, I didn't move away until I retired in September last year. To expensive to retire in the Bay Area. Asherman persuaded me to move to New Mexico.

Everybody that reads knows about City Lights book store in S.F., home of thee Beat Poets. Ask Asherman for his stories re that scene.

Were you thinking of the Rathskeller, with the pub's downstairs floor covered with sawdust?

One of my favorite places to hang out was at the International House at UC. Great all night conversations and debates with students from around the world---their youthful idealism.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies