Killing a goldfish - art?

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 01:51 am
An art display which invited the public to put live goldfish through a food blender did not constitute cruelty to animals, a Danish court has ruled.
The goldfish were placed on display swimming in the blenders, and visitors were told they could press the "on" button if they wanted.

At least one visitor did, killing two goldfish.

"It's a question of principle. An artist has the right to create works which defy our concept of what is right and what is wrong."
"It was a protest against what is going on in the world, against this cynicism, this brutality that impregnates the world in which we live," Chilean-born Danish artist Marco Evaristti said.

Liquidising goldfish 'not a crime'
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 11,142 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 05:40 am
Quote:
"It's a question of principle. An artist has the right to create works which defy our concept of what is right and what is wrong," he told the court in Kolding.

How 'bout this for a statement: Why don't we put Peter Meyer's hand in a food processor! Evil or Very Mad

If what Meyer is doing is about art, then I believe that we need to rethink our whole concept of art. Walter- I found your thread interesting, but it DID turn my stomach. I wonder what the effect on kids will be when they see the "exhibit"!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 06:33 am
Walter

Only one comment on this: Ugggh!
How cruel & gross! Shocked Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 06:40 am
The NYPost report about this starts as follows: "A sick art exhibit in Denmark featured goldfish in blenders that visitors could turn on. ..."

An interesting article in Tate Magazine, September 2001

Haunted by the Animal
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 11:26 am
That is a thought provoking article, Walter. I am going to have to reread it more slowly, and am leaving for work now, back later.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 11:55 am
This is sickening, to be sure, but perhaps I show my art school backround when I say I find it intriguing. There are various types of art, and for its genre, I think this one was fairly well done.

I think the sickening aspect is very much the point, and defending it as art does not mean defending the slaughter of goldfish (though surely this is not the only way that goldfish have met their ends.) I am curious about who did push the button, what the circumstances were, who was watching, how they reacted, etc.
cavfancier

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 12:00 pm
Didn't kids in the 50's used to swallow goldfish just for fun? How is that any different really? Perhaps the fact that so many people were sickened by the exhibit proves his original intent.
0 Replies

midnight

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 12:07 pm
Hmm. . . . The people that hit the on button kind of became part of the show. Personally I don't have a problem with blending the fish. I don't think it is any more inhumane than fishing it out of water and letting it drown in air or bashing their heads in. What about people that swallow them whole. I think it does make an interesting statement though . . . . and that statement wouldn't have been made had someone not pushed the on button. I think the person that pushed the on button should have drank the fish soup though. It seems ok to kill animals when we are going to eat 'em. Probably wouldn't have been the big fuss.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 12:10 pm
Cool. A Bass-o-matic.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 06:28 am
Bass-o-matic...heh heh...when Dan Akroyd was thin....

Goldfish is a type of carp, from what I understand. They could have strained it and made gefilte fish.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 06:37 am
The danish like cooked fish with cucumber ... (which actually woould look nice [yellow-red-golden and green] on the plate).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 02:24 am
Nah, it's how they actually die that's important .... Can't stand the idea of such cruelty inflicted in the name of "art".
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 05:39 am
Well they sure beat the carp out of those goldfish.

What did they do with the instant fish soup?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 06:04 am
Perhaps they dehydrated it and made fish boullion cubes?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 08:49 am
The people are the art and the goldfish grinding is the subject of their object.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 07:04 am
No, people is people, gold fish are goldfish until blended, and conceptual art is a load of crap.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 07:41 am
Steve

Okay, I've changed my plans - we don't visit one. :wink:
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 03:49 pm
phew

Thought I was in for a 72 hour tour of Ruhr-land modern art for a moment! Thank God.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 05:53 pm
I see art everyday right off my balcony then....next time I throw a party, I will charge people to come in...they will be part of the art...if they pay me to enter my home, it will make a statement about consumerism in our society...they can blend a goldfish if they want, but just for fun only, that wouldn't be part of the art. However, if anyone drinks too much and throws up, that would be part of the art, especially if the dog decides to eat the puke.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 26 May, 2003 12:27 am
I don't see why "art" needs to involve cruelty to living creatures that feel pain. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies