Interview etiquette and stories

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:35 am
What sort of things attracts you as an employer when interviewing someone for a job?

When going into an interview, what little tricks and whatnot do you find useful to result in a successful interview? Do you bring a copy of your resume, cover letter, list of questions to ask, etc?

What to do, what not to do at an interview?(Besides the obvious)

How early should a candidate arrive for an interview?

Any hints/tips that would be useful? obviously just knowing what you're talking about is the best thing, but sometimes it helps to have a lil more to bring to the table.

Feel free to share your good and not so good interviewing stories here!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 673 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 07:37 am
Re: Interview etiquette and stories
Responding in blue.

InTraNsiTiOn wrote:
What sort of things attracts you as an employer when interviewing someone for a job? I'm not an employer. However, I can tell you some of the things about me that have attracted employers, where I've gotten the job.

At one place I interviewed, I had a horrible cold, sneezing, tissues, you name it, but I went to the interview anyway. Since the company had had someone very undependable in that role before me (a woman they had recently fired), I was seen as dependable, that I would do whatever it took to get the job done.

I got another job because I have an eclectic background and the industry is very different and out there. I was seen as a curious person unafraid to try new things.

When going into an interview, what little tricks and whatnot do you find useful to result in a successful interview? Do you bring a copy of your resume, cover letter, list of questions to ask, etc?

I never bring my cover letter. No one seems to want that. I bring my resume but it's rare that anyone wants that, either. I do try to have a prop, though. At the last job I got, it was for legal voice recognition, and a piece of that is formatting documents. For my second interview, I brought the Blue Book of Legal Citations that I had used 20 years ago in Law School. The employer had never seen it before and realized that I understood what was needed. I had the book tabbed and showed him various parts of it. Even if I have absolutely nothing for a prop, I try to bring a folder with my resume and the directions to the firm and any contact information, just so that I'm carrying something other than my purse.

What to do, what not to do at an interview?(Besides the obvious)

The interviewer may be as nervous as you are, and some of them have never interviewed someone before you. I find that tends to help me be less nervous.

Don't be too casual, even if you think you're acing it. As in, don't slouch, don't go all slang-y on the interviewer, don't joke around much, don't get too familiar. You do not know this person and that can turn people off quite a bit, even if they were seriously considering you.

One thing that helps is to mirror body language. If the interviewer crosses his legs, cross yours - I find that to be a bit much, but I do tend to mirror body language above the waist. Also, smile, or at least keep your mouth in a neutral position. Even if your mouth just naturally turns down but you're a fun and lovely person, you'll be seen as sad or mean, so smile, long as you don't go overboard and grin like an idiot.

Be nice to whoever greets you. That is, the receptionist, the secretary, the interviewer's assistant. I even extend this to the security person or doorman. It's just good to set the tone for the interview, and you never, ever know who talks to whom.

I never take coffee or water from an interviewer or receptionist unless it's 90 degrees outside and I am getting heat stroke (which really happened at one interview; it was a good thing they gave me water). And I make a joke about it to the interviewer: My chances of spilling are directly proportional to the importance of any meeting - so I figure, I'd just spill everywhere today. This little joke humanizes me and adds a tiny bit of intimacy which most people can relate to all too well, plus it subtly tells them that I think the interview is important.

The two old chestnut questions from interviewers are: Where do you see yourself in five (or ten) years? and What is your greatest weakness? For the first, say that you'd see yourself in a senior role in the position you're interviewing for, say, if you're interviewing for a Business Analyst job, say you'd see yourself as a Senior Business Analyst, doing similar work although the crystal ball is blurry when it comes to what technology you'd be using. And, you'd like to be working for ___ company because you feel their future is secure and you'd really like to be a part of it. For the second, everyone who's studied standard form interviewing tactics says that their greatest weakness is that they are a perfectionist. I find this to be a stupid question with an even stupider answer but it's expected. I've found that alternative answers tend to not work too well in this area. It's a savvy employer who avoids the question entirely.

Always (if it's true) close the interview with telling the interviewer that you are interested in the position, you feel you can do it and you want this job. This is calling closing the deal and it's important.

How early should a candidate arrive for an interview?

15 minutes, maybe 20. No more than that as you'll look desperate. If you are later than that, then anything at or before the start time of the interview is fine, although being on the dot right on time can be nerve-wracking, plus there are clock/watch differences and so you could conceivably appear to be slightly late. But sometimes this just can't be avoided.

The best thing to do is, do your best to think of every contingency and prepare for it before going to the interview. Leave early, take the fastest and most reliable form of transportation, have directions in hand if you are driving, plus a map, have the interviewer's name and number in hand to call in case you're late. Over 20 years ago, I was driving to an interview and my car broke down. Hey, these things happen. But I managed to call the interviewer about 10 minutes before the interview was supposed to start (this is long before cel phones were common, so I had to use a pay phone) and just rescheduled it for later.

If you're asked to come in early in order to fill out paperwork, then add the 15 - 20 minutes earlier time to that, e. g. if the interview is at 10 and you're supposed to come in 10 minutes early for paperwork, come in at 9:30, because sometimes paperwork can take longer than expected.

Any hints/tips that would be useful? obviously just knowing what you're talking about is the best thing, but sometimes it helps to have a lil more to bring to the table.

Do whatever research you can online. Print anything useful and bring it with you (I see your company is working on ___...) and use it as a prop, particularly if you run out of things to say.

Always have a question for the interviewer. I keep three in the back of my mind; they're good for any occasion:[list=1][*]What do you like the most about working for ___? (people love talking about themselves)
[*]What's the corporate culture at ___? (if they ask for clarification, you want to know how formal the meetings are and the chain of command, not just whether they have Casual Fridays)
[*]Where do you see the ___ company going in five years? (this one turns the tables on the traditional "where do you see yourself in five years?" question)[/list]

Feel free to share your good and not so good interviewing stories here!

Finally, always, always, always, send a thank-you note. I've taken to sending them via snail mail lately. People do not expect personalized notes and they love this.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 07:51 am
I would add a couple of things to that excellent response from jespah. First, bring multiple copies of your resume, enough so you can hand out many and still have one for yourself in case the interviewer wants to go over some points. I have never had an interview where less than two people wanted to see my resume.
Second, be sure your resume is professional looking. There are websites that will offer advice on how to build one, or you could go the route my brother did and hire someone to help you. Either way, make it look good, keep it clean, and keep it up to date and pertinent to the job you are applying for. And don't print it up on fancy or colored paper. Use plain printer or copy paper.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 08:10 am
I think one of the biggest impressions I get when I interview some one for a job is when they can provide specific examples supporting their qualifications. For example, if some one says they are organized - then they go on to explain a specific example of something they do to be organized. i.e. I file all my reports in this manner. If they say they are efficient. Then they explain how they changed a process to make the work flow for efficient. Anyone can say they are ABC, but if you can explain an actual occurrence that supports that qualification if shows that the person is prepared for the interview, that they are able to reason and think things through and they actually possess those qualities.

Always bring a copy of your resume - just in case the interviewer forgets to bring it. A cover letter to the interview isn't necessary and I wouldn't even recommend it - as the interviewer will not have time to read through it. I definitely rarely see it, but do highly recommend bring a list of questions. It shows you are serious, and also so you won't forget to ask anything you want to know. Read about the company before going to the interview. You are not expected to know all the organizational structure and when the company started, etc., but you should know the basics of the company. I once interviewed some one who kept referring to my company as "the bank." We finally asked him what he meant when saying "the bank" as our company was in the financial industry, but was definitely not a bank. He didn't get the job.

Also go into the interview ready to interview the company yourself. You want to make sure this is a place you want to work as well. You are a valuable commodity and should want the right fit for you. I have always taken that approach and felt better prepared to determine if the company was right for me. A company should appreciate that as even if it is a very good company with a great reputation it may not be the right fit for you. Ask the type of questions that would answer that for you. Like how long have you worked here? What is the turnover rate? Do you like working here? What do you like about the company and what don't you like?

Overall, smile, look them in the eye (but don't stare), be confident (not cocky), be honest (but not brutally honest), and in the end ask for the job - tell them you want to work for the company and thank them for their time. Ask for an email address and send a quick three or four sentence thank note. Seems obvious, but I have seen this happen always check your spelling and grammar.

Arrive 15 minutes early that is the ideal - shows you are punctual and gives you time to gather yourself and/or fill out any additional paperwork.
0 Replies