Anti-abrotion activist wants to rename his opponents

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 12:14 pm
I heard on NPR the other morning that an anti-abortion activist wishes to rename the pro-life contingent the pro-death people.

How strange, I thought, because I wanted to propose that the anti-abortion forces be renamed, "pro-death," because those same people tend to (I did not say exclusively hold to) a global warming denial/ anti-environment/ anti-birth control and therefore human population limiting philosophy.

Anyone else see the contradiction here?

The anti-abortion faction is the pro-life group!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,653 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:47 pm
Re: Anti-abrotion activist wants to rename his opponents
plainoldme wrote:
I heard on NPR the other morning that an anti-abortion activist wishes to rename the pro-life contingent the pro-death people.

How strange, I thought, because I wanted to propose that the anti-abortion forces be renamed, "pro-death," because those same people tend to (I did not say exclusively hold to) a global warming denial/ anti-environment/ anti-birth control and therefore human population limiting philosophy.

Anyone else see the contradiction here?

The anti-abortion faction is the pro-life group!

The only problem is that one has nothing to do with the other. While pro-abortion does support death in the murder of unborn children. The anti-abortion people are well named when it comes to their choice because they are pro-life in their stance. Abortion supporters are not pro-life in their stance.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:52 pm
Baldimo, you know that many of the anti-abortion folks believe in the death penalty and the right to burn fossil feuls with no regard to the environment. Both of these life-views lead to more death.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 07:07 pm
The so called pro-life are also the people who lobby against teaching people about aids prevention other than abstinence. They are the same people who have suppressed funding all around the world for programs that would prevent pregnancy and save lives destroyed by STD because the program might just mention the possibility of abortion.

These are also the same people that will protest outside a hospital that performs abortions, but don't want any of their precious tax money going to programs like WIC.

In the 80's I was a volunteer at a Brooklyn hospital that specialized in treating babies born addicted to crack, my job was to help nurses hold and comfort babies when they went through withdrawal. All you could do is hold them as they shook and screamed. Everyday I had to walk through a group of people holding signs protesting the abortion policy of the hospital. Not once could I convince a person in that group to come and help hold the babies, they all claimed their protest was more important than the living babies suffering inside.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 07:16 pm
Green Witch and lilttlek you are both missing the point. Changing the name of pro or anti abortion groungs has nothing to do with the death penalty or the enviroment. While I'm sure many in these groups hold the same views on some of those subjects. The thread is dealing with abortion and nothing else.

Sure I beleive in the death penalty but only because it punishes the guilty were abortion punishes the innocent. I don't beleive people have that large effect on global warming but I still think it is happening. None of these things have to do with my feelings on abortion. They are seprate issues at heart.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 08:06 am
"Pro-choice" is an accurate description. No one is advocating that every pregnant woman get an abortion, so "pro-abortion" is misleading, and "pro-death" is simply inane.

On the other hand, I've never liked the term "pro-life," since, as littlek and Green Witch point out, they seem to be very selective about whose lives they are "pro." And given the hostility of many "pro-lifers" to government programs designed to aid the "post-born," it has always seemed to me more accurate to describe this group as "pro-fetus" or as"fetophiles."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 08:10 am
Pro-pregnancy gets my vote.

Pro-ignorance is a close second, but I imagine we should reserve that for the abstinence-only crowd.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 08:16 am
Baldimo wrote:
The thread is dealing with abortion and nothing else.

I would like to derail the thread long enough to mention that you are still misspelling "welfare."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 08:27 am
That never seems to sink in with him, i told him that more than a year ago.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:18 am
I know. Some day, he'll "get it."
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 11:45 am
Recently, a group of evangelical Christians came out in support of measures to slow the advance of global warming because they contend that God gave man stewardship over the earth and that we have been failing in that stewardship.

I say bravo for seeing the light.

What is the point of bringing children into a world in which whales wash up on the shore dying because they are toxic waste? What is the point of bringing children into a world where our feed cattle stand and eat in their own excrement?

The right screams that those on the left do not assume personal responsibility, but, how responsible are those who do nothing to curtail their consumption of petrochemicals and fossil fuels?

Being anti-abortion in a world in which death is forever imminent is not being pro-life.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 11:51 am
Greenwitch -- While my daughter was a student at SMith, she worked at a large Boston teaching hospital one summer, as a temp in the stomach cancer ward.

The hospital was constantly surrounded by anti-abortion pickets. One of these men spat in my daughter's face. She told him that she was only a temp, a college student working to help doctors save lives by treating cancer.

Someone here had the gall to tell me that I made up that story: that all anti-abortion protestors are models of decorum who would never harm a soul.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 11:56 am
plainoldme wrote:
Someone here had the gall to tell me that I made up that story: that all anti-abortion protestors are models of decorum who would never harm a soul.

That generated a belly laugh.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:01 pm
"Pro-death" is dumb.

I get it, but it doesn't hold up (there are people who are both anti-abortion and anti-death penalty) and it doesn't accomplish anything whatsoever, just silly semantics. Not all semantics are silly, mind you, I think some are important. Not this one.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:04 pm
Well, every life you bring into the world also eventually brings about one death.

So being pro-life is also being pro-death.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:05 pm
Ooh, that's deep.

By the way I hope it goes without saying that I think "Pro-death" as applied to people who are pro-choice is dumb, too. Nobody's actually for abortion, just for safe and legal access if it becomes necessary. If there were no need for abortions, everyone would be happy.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:36 pm
plainoldme wrote:

Sounds like a conservative answer to the pro-choicer's "anti-choice", and it's just as inane as the original.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:38 pm
Thomas wrote:
plainoldme wrote:

Sounds like a conservative answer to the pro-choicer's "anti-choice", and it's just as inane as the original.

You know, everyone seems to continue to miss this. The "pro-life" crowd are the anti-abortion crowd.

This thread makes absolutely no sense.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 07:16 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
The thread is dealing with abortion and nothing else.

I would like to derail the thread long enough to mention that you are still misspelling "welfare."

I spelled it that way for a reason. They get money so that they can live well. If it sucks that bad to be on wellfare then they need to take their lazy asses off of their couches and go get a job. If they want free health care then join the military. Just do something to earn what you get. A free check from the taxpayers doesn't require you do anything but have more children.

Setanta wrote:
That never seems to sink in with him, i told him that more than a year ago.

If you didn't get it I chose to ignore you because it seemed like you just wanted to derail a thread. At least Drewdad apologized for doing it. You make it a habit.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 10:18 am
People have long considered limiting their reproduction a responsible choice and there have always been ways of preventing and/or interrupting pregnancies.

Why it is a political issue today is beyond me.

Must look into the name of the guy with the campaign, if I have time today.
0 Replies