Klimt Painting Is Sold For Record-Setting Amount

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 12:21 pm
Quote:
Looted Klimt sold for record £73m

Mark Brown, arts correspondent
Monday June 19, 2006
The Guardian

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2006/06/19/klimt372.jpg
Gustav Klimt's portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer, which sold at auction for $135m - the highest sum ever paid for a painting. Photograph: Herbert Pfarrhofer/EPA

A stunning portrait of a Viennese aristocrat which was looted by the Nazis and only returned to its rightful owner this year has been bought for what is thought to be the highest ever sum paid for a painting.
Gustav Klimt's gold-encrusted Adele Bloch-Bauer I has been sold to the New York museum owned by the billionaire cosmetics heir Ronald L Lauder who, with his brother Leonard, are dominant figures in the New York art establishment.

Lauder is said by the New York Times to have paid $135m (£73m) for the painting, easily beating the previous record of $104m paid for Picasso's Boy With a Pipe by an unnamed bidder at Sotheby's two years ago.
Klimt's 1907 portrait of his patron and rumoured lover was taken in 1938 in the Hermann Goering-led plunder of art by the Nazis. It eventually found its way into the Belvedere Museum in Vienna and was the subject of a rancorous eight year battle between the Austrian government and the heirs of Adele Bloch-Bauer.

The case eventually reached the US supreme court, which ruled against the Austrian government in 2004. After arbitration it was decided that five Klimts should be returned to the heirs including Bloch-Bauer's elderly niece Maria Altmann, unless the Austrian government could raise the money to buy them back. They chose not to and for the last two months the Klimts have hung in the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.

The painting, fortunately, seems destined for public display. Lauder owns the Neue Galerie, which occupies one of the most handsome buildings on Fifth Avenue in New York and devotes itself to early 20th century German and Austrian art and design. It contains 166 works including important paintings by artists including Klee, Kandinsky, Schiele and Gerstl.

Ms Altmann said: "It was important to the heirs and to my Aunt Adele that her painting be displayed in a museum. We chose a museum that is a bridge between Europe and the United States."

The Altmanns' family attorney, Steve Thomas, confirmed the sale but not the exact price, other than saying it was above the highest known sum paid for a painting. The four other Klimts will also be sold but in the meantime will hang alongside the gold portrait at the Neue Galerie from July 17 to September 18.

Michael Govan, director the LA County Museum of Art, told the Los Angeles Times he was disappointed to lose the painting. But he added: "The fact that it's going to a museum in America is great. Ronald Lauder is to be congratulated. The art has been a passion of his since he was a teenager. He's spent huge amounts of his life and his resources celebrating this art."

Randol Schoenberg, an LA attorney and family friend, told reporters: "It's terrific. They sold it for a fair price, and it's going to be on public display. It's going to be in a real art capital. For Maria and me, it would have been nice to have it in Los Angeles. But New York is a nice place to display it."
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,165 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 12:21 pm
http://i6.tinypic.com/14wrf5i.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 12:58 pm
Hmmm, sorry I didn't catch that in Los Angeles (hope to get there later this summer).

Here's a link to the Neue Galerie -
http://www.neuegalerie.org/neuemain.html
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:36 pm
A perfect example of the distortions generated by purely market forces. I think this is a deliciously "pretty" image but by no means of the same artistic merit as many selling for MUCH less.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 01:07 pm
JLNobody wrote:
A perfect example of the distortions generated by purely market forces.

The Belgian paper La Lbrre Belgique even had that on it's frontpage (and on pages 2 and 3) today:

http://i5.tinypic.com/155qil0.jpg
(Something like "the goldrush on art")

http://i5.tinypic.com/155qoa1.jpg

("The new Mona Lisa"/"Are we close to insanity?")
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 06:34 pm
Thanks, Walter. It's unsanity to spend that much money on ANY work of art, if you ask me. Great art is priceless; it's the market place that puts prices on it. And it does so for reasons having nothing to do with art as such.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 07:17 pm
If I stood before the actual painting, I might appreciate it. The copy on my pc doesn't do a thing for me.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 08:07 pm
I agree, Edgar. I even appreciate its beauty on screen, but not 135 million worth.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 11:02 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Great art is priceless; it's the market place that puts prices on it.

I've seen recently two paintings in a private home, I think, they should get nearly as much :wink:
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 10:37 pm
A very nice sentiment, Walter.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 10:56 pm
I've liked Klimt a bit from time to time, but (trying to remember) not usually with a woman's face in the middle of it.

I have not a wit of a grasp of why certain works of painting art are rated so highly above others, or why some works of any other art are. Part of why I don't grasp, a good part, is that I'm not very interested.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 11:03 pm
Ditto, Osso. Bona note.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 02:22 am
Interesting report from today's The Guardian (page 13)

From Moscow with moolah: how Russians are fuelling the art boom

Quote:
[...]It is a boom that has been driven by the "wallpaper generation"; people with money who prefer to spend their millions on art than a stately pile in the country. And there are no signs of a bust. Yet.
The British market reached boiling point this week, with records smashed, jaw-dropping amounts of money changing hands and frantic auctions taking place at rival London sale rooms.

On Monday, Sotheby's sale of impressionist and modern art raised £88.7m, more than any auction held in London before. The star lot was a Modigliani that went for £16.3m - the buyer had ratcheted up the price by a cool £500,000 per bid. Tuesday saw a £86.9m sale of impressionists and modernists at Christie's, where a Schiele - Nazi loot that had hung unrecognised in a French apartment since the war - sold for £11.8m.
[...]

[continued]
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 02:24 am
http://i3.tinypic.com/15gfjw9.jpg
http://i3.tinypic.com/15gfk35.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 05:55 am
In today's Chicago Tribune:

http://i1.tinypic.com/1zxwco6.jpg

It's `our Mona Lisa'

The world's most expensive painting, a Klimt portrait once seized by the Nazis, goes on display in New York

http://i1.tinypic.com/1zxwbp2.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 06:07 am
Its been said that the market for important art consists of less than 1000 individuals worldwide. The market forces are established by agenbts for these people. Fo tem its a "game of acquisition" and disposable income. At least , with that type of market, the art is usually donated to amuseum or otherwise made available to view.

Much iof the problem with conspicuous acquisition is that nobody considers conservation of the works in the future. The Barnes foundation , a private collection of modern art has a major problem to meet its conervation obligations. Consequently the City of Philadelphia is planning to build a climate controlled museum on the Art PArkway to house the collection. However, the BArnes foundation is fighting the proposal on the claim that it isnt what Dr Barnes would have wanted.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 06:19 am
There was a rather detailed but interesting book in the 60's called "The Rape of Art" it was about Hitlers "Sonderauftrag Linz" Where the great museum for art would be established by the Nazis.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 06:29 am
farmerman wrote:
There was a rather detailed but interesting book in the 60's called "The Rape of Art" it was about Hitlers "Sonderauftrag Linz" Where the great museum for art would be established by the Nazis.

The 'Gurlitt' collection in Linz

Under IX 1 and 2 you find the paintings etc from the Gurliit collection, 3. and 4. name other (no pics!).
0 Replies