Questions To Ask

PDiddie

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 04:57 am
I found this list and thought I would share it. If we can pry open a few minds it will be worth it.

When will you people wake up? Is it going to take a nuke dropping in your own backyard to make you see what Bush is doing to our reputation in the world community?

Do you really want to live in a world where fear is the primary motivator?

Do you really believe this tax cut will create jobs? How? How many jobs did the last one create?

Do you read international news or are you a captive of American television (and Fox News, at that)?

Once again, where are the WMD's?

Why is al-Qaeda able to regroup?
Where is Osama?
Where is Saddam?
Do you think we are winning the war on terror? If so, what's your justification for saying yes?

What's so secret about Cheney's Energy Commission?
Why won't he release the papers?

With all of the information that was available, why wasn't 9/11 thwarted?

For a group of people who got so angry at Clinton for lying about sex, you are giving Bush a pass for LYING to you about WAR. Why?

Bush said, "I'm a uniter not a divider."
Have you ever seen the world more divided?
Bush said, "I'm not into nation building," but isn't that exactly what we are doing? Poorly?

I really don't understand how so many people can let these things continue without questioning why.

Can you come up with valid answers? Bush doesn't seem to want to answer any of it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,002 • Replies: 18
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 10:37 am
How do you explain the worldwide animosity America now faces?

Why, after Andrew Card told him America was under attack on 9-11, did George W sit in an elementary school classroom reading a book about a pet goat for 20 minutes?

Why is broadcasting knowingly false news legal in America but illegal in England?

What precisely did Bush mean when he promised a "humble foreign policy" while campaigning for president?

Why did Bush and Powell both cite a forged document as evidence of Iraq's alleged nuclear program, even though the C.I.A. told them it was a fake?

Why is it that $65 million was invested in investigating Clinton's penis, and $50 million allocated to investigate the Columbia shuttle disaster, yet only $3 million was allocated to investigate 9-11?

Why did anthrax only go to Democrats and media enemies?

Why isn't the US media asking more of these questions?

QuestionW
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 03:48 pm
"I just don't think Bush can be defeated. There's so many Republicans, it seems, than people willing to vote Democrat. I'm so disillusioned. Is there anything that can be done?"

Sure. But most of the people whom you must sway will not be found online. They don't have access to a computer, much less one at home; they don't have an online habit, they don't read much, they DO watch a bit of TV, but avoid the news. They won't be making up their minds until late in the game anyway.

Check this out from the Washington Monthly:

Quote:
"As Matthew Dowd, polling director at the Republican National Committee, has pointed out, if minorities and whites vote in 2004 as they did in the 2000 election, Democrats will win by 3 million votes, for just that reason. In the long term, unless the GOP can make inroads among minority voters, they'll lose. In 2002, they made essentially no inroads at all. Recall that in the 2000 election, Al Gore got 90 percent of the black vote; in 2002, blacks appear to have voted at similar rates--if not slightly higher--for Democratic congressional and gubernatorial candidates. Hispanic support for Democrats was similarly rock solid, despite strenuous GOP outreach efforts. For example, California governor Gray Davis beat his Republican challenger Bill Simon by 65 to 24 percent among Hispanics--figures essentially identical to those by which Davis beat his 1998 challenger, Dan Lundgren. Nationally, a Greenberg-Quinlan-Rosner poll taken after the 2002 election indicated that Hispanics supported Democrats by 62 to 38 percent, figures nearly identical to 1998 numbers."

"Beyond that, look at the record Bush has amassed on his 2000 campaign promises. "Compassionate conservatism" flummoxed hapless Democrats the first time around, but by now the administration has several years of not-so-compassionate baggage to explain away. And its hard-right policies on the environment, Medicare, Social Security, tax cuts, and Iraq have polarized Democrats against them (so much for being "a uniter not a divider") and alienated moderates and independents--the principal targets of compassionate conservatism in the first place. In other words, a party's policies and track record set real limits to what smartness and toughness can accomplish. The idea that Karl Rove can negate all this simply by waving his magic wand should not be taken seriously by Democrats or anyone else. What the Democrats should take seriously is the need to fight back and fight back hard, so they can exploit the underlying trends that are moving the country in a Democratic direction".

Keep in mind that Al Gore defeated George Bush by more than 550,000 votes in 2000. But for a few Holocaust victims in Palm Beach who cast their ballots mistakenly for Pat Buchanan, and a vigorous effort to eliminate black voters from the rolls in Florida, Dubya would still be talking to the cows in Crawford.

Don't be discouraged by what the corrupt, compliant media says about the Democratic candidates. The first primaries aren't until next year.

Bush's popularity numbers are lower than Clinton's on the day after impeachment ended. And won't be rising any higher.

Keep your eyes on the prize.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 07:31 am
Bridget Gibson, intrepid reporter from the Amarillo (TX) Globe-News, puts her job--and possibly her life--on the line with a few uncomfortable questions:

Quote:
On that fateful day of Sept. 11, 2001, there was a high-level meeting in Washington, D.C., at the Ritz-Carlton between members of The Carlyle Group and the bin Laden family. These bin Laden family members were whisked out of the United States quietly aboard a private charter plane on Sept. 14.

According to the National Law Enforcement and Security Institute, the CIA was staging a simulated terrorist attack on 9/11. This simulation involved airplanes flying into buildings.

Is it possible that the reason that no jets were scrambled for the hijacked airliners was because our military had been advised that such a simulation was taking place? Is this the reason that none of the hijacked planes were intercepted?

Is this why Sept. 11, 2001, was chosen by al-Qaida? Did someone pass this information to someone else who should not have been privy to such? It is obvious that there is something amiss.

Why, on May 1, did George W. mislead the American public by declaring that the terrorist network was weakened and unable to strike us just days before another attack on American interests?

Who is close enough to whisper lying assurances into his ear?

Are our intelligence sources so poorly equipped to understand the threats that are real and should be known and prevented?

Something is not right here and I'm certain that I am not the only person wondering how deeply the secrets are buried. Whose interests are being served at our country's expense?

amarillonet.com
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 04:28 pm
Does the Bush family have Nazi connections?

The evidence seems more than anecdotal:

When George W. and Laura Bush toured the Nazi death camps of Auschwitz and Birkenau this past weekend, few American news outlets made a connection that their readers would have found striking. In a brief note from the Polish edition of Newsweek, "Prescott Sheldon Bush, grandfather of George Walker Bush, had financial dealings during World War II with the Nazis, amassing a family fortune as a banker. Prescott Bush was a shareholder of the company United Banking Corporation, working with industrialist Fritz Thyssen from the Nazistowskiego Silesian Consolidated Steel Corporation, where Auschwitz prisoners worked."

The story looks legit. Check out this from Clamor magazine, which notes that Bush is heir to the profits from the Holocaust, placed in a blind trust in 1980 by his dad, George Herbert Walker Bush.

(condensed from TomPaine.com.)
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 07:20 pm
(I wish someone besides me would post on this thread...absent that, I'm going to continue talking to myself...)

February 27, 2003, was the 70th anniversary of Dutch terrorist Marinus van der Lubbe's successful firebombing of the German Parliament (Reichstag) building, the terrorist act that catapulted Hitler to legitimacy and reshaped the German constitution. By the time of his successful and brief action to seize Austria, in which almost no German blood was shed, Hitler was the most beloved and popular leader in the history of his nation. Hailed around the world, he was later Time magazine's "Man Of The Year."

Most Americans remember his office for the security of the homeland, known as the Reichssicherheitshauptamt and its SchutzStaffel, simply by its most famous agency's initials: the SS.

We also remember that the Germans developed a new form of highly violent warfare they named "lightning war" or blitzkrieg, which, while generating devastating civilian losses, also produced a highly desirable "shock and awe" among the nation's leadership according to the authors of the 1996 book "Shock And Awe" published by the National Defense University Press.

Reflecting on that time, The American Heritage Dictionary (Houghton Mifflin Company, 1983) left us this definition of the form of government the German democracy had become through Hitler's close alliance with the largest German corporations and his policy of using war as a tool to keep power: "fas-cism (fbsh'iz'em) n. A system of government that exercises a dictatorship of the extreme right, typically through the merging of state and business leadership, together with belligerent nationalism."

Today, as we face financial and political crises, it's useful to remember that the ravages of the Great Depression hit Germany and the United States alike. Through the 1930s, however, Hitler and Roosevelt chose very different courses to bring their nations back to power and prosperity.

Germany's response was to use government to empower corporations and reward the society's richest individuals, privatize much of the commons, stifle dissent, strip people of constitutional rights, and create an illusion of prosperity through continual and ever-expanding war.

America passed minimum wage laws to raise the middle class, enforced anti-trust laws to diminish the power of corporations, increased taxes on corporations and the wealthiest individuals, created Social Security, and became the employer of last resort through programs to build national infrastructure, promote the arts, and replant forests.

To the extent that our Constitution is still intact, the choice is again ours.

(Thom Hartmann lived and worked in Germany during the 1980s, and is the author of over a dozen books, including "Unequal Protection" and "The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight.")

When Democracy Failed: The Warnings of History
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 09:07 pm
I'm reading, PDiddie.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:59 am
Pdiddie: Sorry about the silence, the least we could do is give you a YO.

So, yo.

That piece on the rise of Hitler gave me the willies.

I think all of us need to plan the next 17 months around what we personally are going to do in order that moderate and progressive candidates are elected throughout our nation.

Joe
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 11:03 pm
I think all of us need to plan the next 17 months around what we personally are going to do in order that moderate and progressive candidates are elected throughout our nation.

Joe

I'll second that, Mr. Nation! There is nothing more important.

PDiddie, I was so shaken by that article that I have used it elsewhere (abiding by the publication's copyright laws) and hope you don't mind.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
Fascinating.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Go and read this, too:

The Easy Slide to Fascism
0 Replies

Anon

Hey PDiddie:

I'm reading your list! I'm with Sweet though without reading it yet ... We need to plan what each of us can personally do to change things and get the liberal vote out!

Whoever the choice is, it should be someone who reflects our beliefs. I was always afraid that if Gore were elected, that the right would assassinate him and then we'd end up with Leibermann who in my mind was a Republican Hawk in Democrat clothing!

Too bad we don't have anyone running right now that has a chance against a snowflake ... nobody exciting that flares the imagination!!

Now I'll go read Smile

Anon
0 Replies

PDiddie

Can Bush be Toppled?

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2003/06/11/bush/story.jpg

"Yes, but..." says a Salon panel of political fortunetellers including Robert Dallek, John Fund, Sherman Alexie, Donna Brazile and Pat Caddell.

You need to go read this.

Salon.com
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 07:37 am
More questions to ask, courtesy of Jim Washburn's excellent "Force of July" which I also turned into its own thread:

Why did you commit our forces to kill and die in a war without good cause?

Where is proof of the "imminent threat" you cited with such certainty in justifying the abandonment of two centuries of U.S. tradition and "preemptively" attacking another nation?

If you cause people to be killed (including 139 Americans, at least 3,240 Iraqi civilians and probably tens of thousands of conscripts) without good cause, isn't that murder?

Why do you tell critics to be patient, that these things take time, when that's the exact argument you rejected from the UN weapons inspectors?

Why are the oilfields the only things that are secure in Iraq, where you've permitted even atomic materials to be looted?

Why have you committed our forces indefinitely, with no exit strategy, to a country where they're under daily attack?

Huh, why?

Force of July
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 08:02 am
PDiddie wrote:
Go and read this, too:

The Easy Slide to Fascism

Thanks, PDiddie, for this one. I had posted a similar reference on another thread . . . Please think about changing your avatar again; I'm all scared now Embarrassed .
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 11:26 am
i would direct my fellow puppsters to the following link on a 30,000 plus word exposition on the rise of fascism in the US at Orcinus.

http://dneiwert.blogspot.com/

it is extensively documented and is useful for debating points with the rightwing.

and pd i am just waiting for max to start that anne coulter thread, aren't you?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 11:31 am
Thanks, Big Dog (and it's about time you got in here).

I ain't holdin' my breath. Annthrax has been discussed far more than (s)he warrants.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 02:29 pm
review this:

"In other western countries, discussion of issues can be debated the way we are doing it by long, extend discussion.

"In the US we have a different system. If you get on commercial radio or TV you're allowed a minute or two, you can have a word or tow between commercials. That 's what it comes down to, or you are asked to express an opinion.

"In two minutes, between two commercials, or as in the written press, a few hundred words, you can say some conventional tings. E.g., if I'm given two minutes to condemning the Russians for invading Afghanistan, that's easy. I don't need any evidence. I don't need any facts, I can make any claim that I want, anything goes because that's the conventional thought, that's what everybody believes anyway, so if I say it it's not surprising, and I don't have to back it up.

"On the other hand, suppose I were to try in two minutes to condemn the US invasion of South Viet Nam, or the US attack against Nicaragua. That sounds crazy. The US isn't attacking people! So, within two minutes between commercials it sounds absurd. The reason is that if you say anything in the least way unconventional you are naturally, and rightly, are expected to give a reason, to give evidence, to build up an argument, to say why you believe that unconventional thing.

"The very structure of the media in the US prevents that and makes it impossible. The result is that what's expressible are conventional thoughts and conventional doctrine. That's a very effective technique for blocking thought and criticism.

Pp130-131. "chronicles of dissent" interviews of noam chomsky with david barsamian. 1992.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 02:54 pm
for sure
0 Replies