THE BEST TV CHARACTER EVER (IMHO)

NWIslander

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 11:27 am
The Best TV Character Ever (Who)
I'm new here and think this is a great discussion.

My favorites would be Niles Crane, EDITH Bunker, and Rumpole of the Bailey.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:42 am
As my memory is going, I checked out: http://www.classic-tv.com/top100/

There are many reminders there, many of whom have already been mentioned here.

How about Frank Furillo (Daniel J. Travanti) from "Hill St. Blues"? I always respected his character.
0 Replies

NWIslander

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 11:05 am
Also Inspector Morse on PBS.

The late Nancy Marchand played TWO great characters, totally different from each other: Mrs. Pynchon, the elegant newspaper publisher on the Lou Grant show, and Livia Soprano, Tony's unforgettable mother.

And of course, there is Tony himself.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 02:58 pm
Emma Peel, on The Avengers, because she was just so incredibly cool.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:56 pm
I like Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet) from the long running BritCom, "Keeping Up Appearances." Her snobbery and materialism are true to life and I have known several Hyacinths during my life, most notably, my late mother-in-law, Eleanor Stone Barrett Preble.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 07:33 pm
I am not sure I am old enough to speak authoritatively here, but does anyone else remember Loretta Young? I believe she played different characters each week and was superb.

I don't watch enough contemporary shows to appreciate much that's on today (I sense most of it is tripe). By remembering the classics, today's shows are puerile garbage - IMHO!

(The last group of must shows for me are CSI, Law and Order (I did love Jerry Orbach and Jesse Green sp?), Cold Case, and The X-Files.)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 07:43 pm
plainoldme wrote:
I like Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet) from the long running BritCom, "Keeping Up Appearances." Her snobbery and materialism are true to life and I have known several Hyacinths during my life, most notably, my late mother-in-law, Eleanor Stone Barrett Preble.

have ever seen patricia routledge in th detective series hetty wainthrope innvestigates, very well done, and very entertaining
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 08:15 pm
Loretta Young had a couple of TV series. The Loretta Young Show, the anthology mentioned previously, and the The New Loretta Young Show, a drama, in which she played a continuing character.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 09:19 pm
http://www.sensesofcinema.com/images/29/meet_tony_soprano.jpghttp://www.schery.wz.cz/Web/Simpsonovi/images/Homer%20Simpson.jpg

http://hometown.aol.com/allartistries/images/sleestack%20site%201.jpg
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 10:58 pm
Right now I can't get enough of this fukin **********.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c6/Ep20_al_cheers.jpg
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 11:36 pm
So many memorable characters have been mentioned here, I agree with every one.

Dennis Franz, who played Andy Sipowicz on NYPD Blue, kept us watching the series from the beginning right through the whole, what, nine seasons.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 01:50 am
sublime1 wrote:
Right now I can't get enough of this fukin **********.
Laughing Me either.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 10:09 am
djj -- I like Hettie Wainthrop almost as much as I liked Hyacinth. Someone once described Patricia Routledge as a gifted actress. It is interesting that she went to university to become a teacher, but saw a sign up sheet for a theatre group and thought it would be a fun way to relax. Who knows what talents we have unless we give them a chance?

Ya, my son like Earl. That was one of those shoes in which the previews looked good.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 02:44 pm
plainoldme wrote:
Who knows what talents we have unless we give them a chance?

i remember reading an interview with rowan atkinson, and he was telling about his days at university, he would have ended up an electrical engineer, if not for the fact that he he loved comedy and went to a few open auditions for a reveiw that was being put together, apparently he sat through four or five meetings without saying anything and finally at the urging of some other people did a quick skit (the church/candy/snot bit i believe) and had the place in stitches, he was considering not going back the next week before this incident

odd to think of no blackadder or mr bean, or not the 9 oclock news
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 08:40 am
I can watch Black Adder over and over again.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 05:18 pm
i have the dvd collection and watch them regularily
0 Replies

NWIslander

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 09:25 am
This is not about one particular character, but IMO, the TV show "Six Feet Under" well, er, broke new ground for television. It was brilliantly written, directed, and acted, and had us glued to our seats, even watching the entire series the second or third time around. My husband thinks it's the best TV show ever written, and I tend to agree. If you don't get HBO, you can now see the series on DVD.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 08:44 am
All the characters in the Brit Com, "Keeping Up Appearances," with Dame Judith Dench were wonderful. Someone once called it "the (an adjective I have forgotten) silliness of Lionel and Jean (main characters)." While some of the plots were contrived, the characters were wonderfully true to life.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 05:41 am
David Brent - General Manager at Wernham Hogg Paper Merchants

Ricky Gervais is my hero.

x
0 Replies

VXmen

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 04:18 pm
Panthro from the Thunder Cats - Am I right?
0 Replies