Can your god make a boulder so big that he can't move it?

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 10:50 pm
Yeh, I though Neil Diamond was a cab company!
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:50 am
BoGoWo wrote:
Terry; an omnipotent being controlling the universe is a logical fallacy;
as, if it is able to do all things, possible, or impossible; then the aspect of possibility becomes irrelevant, and there are no physical laws, or any other kind for that matter; all is chaos.
Therefore the "control" is meaningless.
One can only control something that has potential to operate in a diferent manner when controlled, from the way it functions without control; that is, it has characteristics, that can be subjected to external control.
When the controller has complete dominion over those characteristics, then any further control is meaningless.

I don't understand why you think omnipotence would lead to chaos.

Although an omnipotent being would be able to do anything, it could choose to impose physical laws and intervene when necessary to control the evolution of the universe and mankind.

Perhaps a perfectly designed system with carefully chosen initial characteristics would not require further control, but if quantum physics is correct you simply cannot build a clockwork universe (a logical impossibility if we insist that the Creator is omnipotent).

How about a creator with limited omnipotence? :wink:

I agree that relying on a god to solve problems is an abdication of personal responsibility, but I think that any postulated creator needs to take full responsibility for the problems caused by faulty design and manufacturing defects as well.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 05:37 am
My dog, the pointlessness of such speculations . . .

Thomas Hobbes, in Leviathan:

"And in that state of nature, no arts; no letters; no society; and which is worst of all, continual fear and danger of violent death; and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short."

It is only with the security and leisure afforded us by an intricate and successful society that we are able to indulge in these types of ruminations. Previously in human history, the obligation to get our daily bread meant that only the shamans and priests and priestesses who had pulled the wool over everyone's eyes were afforded the security and leisure to count dancing angels on heads of pins. Now, myriads of store-front messiahs can set up shop and abuse the ears and eyes of the public with their claptrap. I have marginally more respect for the ancient snake oil salesmen and -women, because i rather doubt they much believed their fairy tales, but knew a good scam when they'd devised one. The saddest part is the extent to which modern theologians and philosophers take themselves, and expect to be taken, seriously.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 09:35 am
My God can make a boulder so big, that.......AIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH! (splat)
0 Replies

shaunx

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 10:50 am
if God is omnipotent, then He can temporarily neutralise His powers, therefore making it impossible to move the said boulder. Therefore God can make a boulder too big to move. How does that sound? This is my first time posting, but I cant swear that I will be posting more often
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 02:49 pm
shaunx- Well, I hope that you stick around. Welcome to Able2Know! Very Happy
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 04:17 pm
Can Craven de Kere make a response to this question so big he can't post it?
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 11:57 pm
Homer Simpson was soo much deeper when he philosophized about this.

It's really about a burrito, now isn't it Egg us?

Could God heat a burrito so hot that even he himself could not eat it?

Why ask this? If God is soo cool he could make both sides work and it is just too great for are tiny monkey brains.

Whoa! Darwinism helping God herself!

Whoa! God being explained as a lassy!
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 12:08 am
If God is everything, in all things everywhere, then He cannot create any boulders at all. The boulders are just another part of God, contributing to what God fully is.

The boulder, all the boulders, all the world, people, animals and plants together comprise and therefore "create" God. Why put the cart before the horse and say God created that which consists of Him?

Can all the boulders in the world create a boulder so big the boulders cannot lift it? The universe does not work like that. The universe just is. It doesn't go around creating anything, because it simply *is* God -- without intent, expectation, disappointment or success.

And besides, it's a silly question.
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 12:25 am
Party house! Code of Ants you are being too technical with funny stuff. Let the man play with the boulders without thinking they might be God's testicles.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 12:33 am
Heh, I never realized that before. Laughing

What purpose would there be in God getting His rocks off?
Can He make the earth move for Himself, without a partner involved?

And what ever happened to Goddess anyways? Did she move out
when the place got too loud and messy?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 05:14 am
If a mommy boulder and a daddy boulder really love each other could they...oh never mind.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 09:27 pm
truth
I just experienced a profound spiritual epiphany: MY God can make a boulder so heavy that YOUR God can't lift it. Come over to my church, won't you?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 10:10 pm
Let they who cast the first boulder invent a better catapult. I'm joining JLs church.
0 Replies

Robwill

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 10:31 pm
The omnipotent would have to have internal conflict, as every force needs a counterforce. If one was all-mighty then they would have to find opposition within themself.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 11:27 pm
What if he used a spiritual lever?
Could we allow God to use a series of pulleys and winches?

And who would we designate as a referee, to be sure the test of God was fair and true?

And does the Guinness Book of World Records have an impartial representative who'd be able to certify the results?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 10:47 am
truth
Cavfancier, horray! You are my first convert. The next step is for you to send your new church a "love gift" of at least one thousand dollars. Ometeotll will bless you for it.
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 10:13 pm
Whoever was the wise guy that questioned if god could really make a boulder big enough that he couldn't move. My boy i'd hate to say your that boulder! Laughing
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 10:13 pm
Whoever was the wise guy that questioned if god could really make a boulder big enough that he couldn't move. My boy i'd hate to say your that boulder! Laughing
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 10:15 pm
Hmmmm.
Veddy interesting.
0 Replies