Steve Colbert exposes another hypocrite Congressman

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 02:28 pm
This video is absolutely priceless.

Stephen Colbert asks Congressman Lynn Westmoreland (one of the Congressmen who was pushing to have the 10 commandments displayed in courthouses) to name the ten commandments.

Click here for vid

I won't ruin the surprise, but you can guess how well he did, since I'm posting it here
Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 855 • Replies: 10
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 02:38 pm
<applause>
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 02:45 pm
bm
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 03:03 pm
I watched this last night. As much as I despise the fellow's politics, I was impressed with he humor and good graces he brought to the situation.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 03:07 pm
Re: Steve Colbert exposes another hypocrite Congressman
JustanObserver wrote:
This video is absolutely priceless.

Stephen Colbert asks Congressman Lynn Westmoreland (one of the Congressmen who was pushing to have the 10 commandments displayed in courthouses) to name the ten commandments.

Click here for vid

I won't ruin the surprise, but you can guess how well he did, since I'm posting it here
Laughing

So Justan, bychance are you an American? (*)

If so, I have to ask:

Do you support the Constitution?

If so, without looking them up in hardcopy or the Internet, please name and recite all the Amendments to said document.

What, you can't? Shall we mock you, or assume that your support for said document is insincere.

It's the same thing isn't it?

(*) If by chance you are NOT an American, what the hel do you care what some Congresscritter from America says?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 03:09 pm
I saw that Colbert interview, too. I can name more of the 10 Commandments than that congressman could...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 03:12 pm
I can do better than that, and i'm not even a theist.

As for the amendments to the constitution, there's a hell of a lot more than ten, and i have yet to hear that anyone has insisted that we have them engraved on the walls of courhouses.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 03:27 pm
What an as$hole.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 03:41 pm
Re: Steve Colbert exposes another hypocrite Congressman
Fedral wrote:

So Justan, bychance are you an American? (*)

That is an excellent question (*)

Fedral wrote:
If so, I have to ask:
Do you support the Constitution?
If so, without looking them up in hardcopy or the Internet, please name and recite all the Amendments to said document.
What, you can't? Shall we mock you, or assume that your support for said document is insincere.

What a weak attempt to defend this douchebag.
But what the hell, I'll play:

Yes, I support the constitution.
I can recite a few, but not all, off the top of my head. Now, before you get a chubby, mistakenly thinking that you somehow proved your point, let me clear you up on something:

Point 1- I'm not a Congressman trying to push a bill to display the Amendments anywhere.

Point 2- Its the TEN Commandments. Jeez, what are they, one...two sentences each? This moron Congressman prattles on and on about how we need them, how important they are, blah blah blah, and he doesn't even know what they are? Shoot, even I can recite the Ten Commandments, and I haven't been to church in years.

Point 3- There are TWENTY SEVEN Amendments. Some of them with multiple sections and paragraphs long. Compare that with "point 2" above. And somehow your trying to make the same argument for each?

Is that the BEST you can do in defending this guy? Did you break out into a sweat when you were thinking of this foolishness?

Fedral wrote:
It's the same thing isn't it?

Not by a long shot. Let me help you understand... here's a picture of the argument your trying to make:

http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/1136/ownedchinesebiker4rw.jpg

(*) Yes, I'm American. Not like if I wasn't it would somehow make this thread less valid.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 04:04 pm
blatham wrote:
I watched this last night. As much as I despise the fellow's politics, I was impressed with he humor and good graces he brought to the situation.

Hm ... an evangelical Congressman who can name only three of the ten commandments ... maybe Hofstadter was right after all?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 04:35 pm
Thomas wrote:
blatham wrote:

Hm ... an evangelical Congressman who can name only three of the ten commandments ... maybe Hofstadter was right after all?

I suspect the fellow knew he was in the presence of someone much sharper than he, and that he was the target. Possibly he could have remembered five or six in a more relaxed situation. But as I said, I thought he showed considerable grace in such a situation.

But yeah, Hofstadter had a good bead on the strained relationship between fundamentalism and learning.
0 Replies