I NEED SOME HELP IN UNDERSTANDING FRENCHMEN.

steissd

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 12:36 pm
New Haven wrote:
Anti-semitism is alive and obvious in the USA.

Are you sure? How does this correspond to lots of Jews having high positions in any American administration, conservative or liberal? With numerous U.S. Representatives and Senators of Jewish origin? Who votes for them if you claim that anti-Semitism is obvious and alive in the USA?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 12:48 pm
http://www.adl.org/presrele/ASUS_12/CD_12.asp

And this thread here could be of interest as well
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7747&highlight=
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 03:49 pm
Je ne comprends pas, - mercis beaucoup pour la PM
0 Replies

london

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 03:52 pm
well mapleleaf,

I understand that they wash the least in Europe, They have very short memories as they can't seem to remember who bailed them out twice during the last century. They have taken a dislike to all thing British and American. They have had and still do have the most corrupt governments over the past 55 years, answerable to no one, except at election time. They are trying to create a United States of Europe using the Germans as stooges. The British people have seen their true colours with their dispicable and embarrasing act of treachery over the Iraq crisis The British will never be suckered into their European superstate and will never join the Euro currency.

Sorry, but you caught me on a good day.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 04:22 pm
Asti tabernacle on les chips, rire out loud....

I agree with NH's last post, just don't quite understand the point...the French have always been notoriously anti-semetic.

Juste pour rire: Why did the French line the Champs Elysees with trees? So the Nazis could march in the shade. Very Happy

But seriously, France is a country like any other. Tartarin's response was quite pointed. What the heck is the big deal anyway? It's great to be able to discuss opinion in a forum like this, but it really does come down to meeting and getting to know the real people. That is the one thing that connects all people, we all have opinions.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 01:03 am
london wrote:
well mapleleaf,

I understand that they wash the least in Europe, They have very short memories as they can't seem to remember who bailed them out twice during the last century. They have taken a dislike to all thing British and American. They have had and still do have the most corrupt governments over the past 55 years, answerable to no one, except at election time. They are trying to create a United States of Europe using the Germans as stooges. The British people have seen their true colours with their dispicable and embarrasing act of treachery over the Iraq crisis The British will never be suckered into their European superstate and will never join the Euro currency.

Sorry, but you caught me on a good day.

You came to our rescue twice! Thanks. But what do you want? Eternal obedience? If it wasn't for the Brits the European project would have progressed even more. Why did they join in the first place?
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 03:19 am
McTag wrote:
We love the French, they gave us Arsene Wenger.

One-Nil to the Arsenal...thanks for the comment, McTag!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'll comment on the French later - I've got plenty of French friends and have lived not far from France most of my life!
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 03:23 am
london wrote:
The British will never be suckered into their European superstate and will never join the Euro currency.
Quote:

Speak for yourself. I'm in favour of increased political integration within Europe, including the UK. Economic arguments prevent me from recommending switching from the Pound to the Euro, but that's a temporary state of affairs.

This is a discussion for another thread, however.
0 Replies

Trailblazer

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 04:44 am
Some stereotypes about the French that I have found to be true:

They take food, its preparation and presentation seriously.

Like Americans, and unlike(contmeporary)Germans, they find it natural to be patriotic. Although they often have stronger loyalties to their region than the nation as a whole.

They appreciate quirky humour /black comedy-- evidence in contemporary French cinema.

They appreciate rational argument but do not ignore sentiment.
They value style as wells as substance.

They are socially liberal rather than moralistic--especially in matters of amour.

They are rather prescriptive about how their language is to be used and value "correctness"--they will eagerly correct foreigners who have asked a question and may not remember to answer the question itself.

Especially outside of Paris, they can be friendly and helpful.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 06:05 am
kitchenpete wrote:
and have lived not far from France most of my life!

... you live now just a few miles outside France :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 06:07 am
Besides, I really belive, the "Anglo-French-'friendship' " started with Guillaume le Conquérant in 1066.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 06:22 am
Walter,

Some of my ancestors arrived with William. As I think I said at some point, last autumn I went to the village from which they came over 1,000 ago.

I'm 1/8 French anyway, from more recent times!

KP
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 06:26 am
1/16 French only.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 06:27 am
From today's Telegraph:

"The British are a can-do people, imbued with energy and positivism. Like Americans, they look to their future. Unlike the French, they are neither cranky nor neurotic. Unlike the Germans, they have been neither beaten nor humiliated."

The British papers are full of this sort of stuff. E.g The Sun The Mail The Daily Telegraph etc, mainly owned by N Americans Rupert Murdoch and Conrad Black, who have a vested interest in keeping Britain out of the euro.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 06:30 am
I NEED SOME HELP IN UNDERSTANDING FRENCHMEN.
Hey, Walter did Guillaume's name change to William the Conqueror when he reached Britain. I understand you were there when it happened.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 06:52 am
Bobsmyth

Giullaume was an illegal immigrant, hence the name change.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 06:55 am
Which major European country is surrounded by 3 seas and has land boundaries with 9 other European countries?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 07:00 am
And can you name them all?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 07:13 am
Certainly not all French crossing the Channel are bastards, but Guillaume was, literally. All this wandering around and conquering was simply compensation for not inheriting Normandy. etc. etc.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 07:41 am
Tartarin gave the answer.

And yes, Guillaume became William - actually a lttle bit earlier to his Channel crossing.

(BTW: that's one of the reasons, why historians believe that the Bayeux tapestry was made in England.)
0 Replies