I NEED SOME HELP IN UNDERSTANDING FRENCHMEN.

McTag

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 03:52 pm
Vive Le Revolution!
Or, the French are revolting.
Frequently.
There is nothing so intractable on God's green earth as a Frenchman on strike.
They blockade the ports, using fishing boats tied together.
The air traffic controllers can jam European air traffic, and they do.
The farmers blockade the roads.
And they burn waggonloads of British lamb, while the gendarmerie look on indulgently.
And, they invented the Exocet.
A tricky lot.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 10:52 am
ah oui

nous sommes tres trick load of bastards

....but in normal numbers and especially when we sont desirons a votre euro, we can be engagingly polite.

Hi McTag, and please say hello from me and mrsme to Herr Walter!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 12:51 pm
(seriously asking myself and mrsmyself, why the hell no hellos to Mrs Walter? - Tesco German Pilsner bier, I suppose, isn't any good being drunk above 25° Laughing )
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 02:40 pm
Getting drunk above 25 deg? You could be anywhere north of the Canaries.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 03:07 pm
What a delightfully obtuse rejoinder, Mr. McTag . . .
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 03:35 pm
Americans are gregarious, a little loud, friendly, perhaps bumping into the nice furniture. Like a dog...

French are cats. They look at you with distain, judge you and prefer their solitude to your company--but they will eat what is put out for them.

muahahahaha.

Seriously now. Why don't French women shave their legs and pits? I'm not advocating forcing them to do so--but why?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 03:45 pm
Well, it certainly has some historic reasons, since shaving the legs and pits was done in Europe pre-WWI only by prostitutes (and a thus a sign for men).

Many French men still have this idea.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 04:59 pm
Not just French men. Quite a few cultures seem to find the perhaps excessive focus on depilation by North American women a signal of their moral weakness.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 05:09 pm
Well, now.
I have learnt something new.
Tank yew.

Shaving legs/pits to the French= whorey.
Shaving legs/pits to the Yanks= cleaner and smell bettery.

But wait! If we are so morally uptight and they are so free with their lovin' (more stereotypes), there seems to be something odd about their refusal to shave...

Also, has anyone mentioned the delicate wife/mistress phenom in France? How it is de rigeur for them, and still in the closet here?
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 05:40 pm
Woman who put man in doghouse soon find him in cathouse.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 05:53 pm
a new book : SIXTY MILLION FRENCHMAN CAN'T BE WRONG(sourcebooks inc. - written by montreal/canada writers jean-benoit nadeau and julie barlow). just read the review in the toronto star newspaper; have to ask the librarian to order it. some quotes: ...how can a country that has a mandatory 35 hour work week and seven weeks of vacation every year still be the fourth largest economy in the world? ... how is it that even as they gorge on roquefort cheese, wine and cigs more than anyone else, the french still manage to outlive the americans? sounds like a pretty good read to me. hbg
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 07:25 pm
Hbg,
Please read and share. By the way, one of my childhood nick names was hamburger. I frequently bought them burgers at a local Mom & Pop shop and walked home with them.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 08:40 pm
Shaving armpits?!? I have an idea.

Biologically, what is the purpose of armpit and pubic hair at all? It doesn't protect, heat or cool, perform any direct function to aid survival, except ... to contain and concentrate ones odor. To smell!

Survival of the fittest selects those who smell because smelly people reproduce more efficiently. It broadcasts who they are, like a coyote howling at the moon!

Primitive man (are we modern yet?) identifies compatible
partners very much by sense of smell. Subtle odors help indicate the type of diet, an illness, sexual status, and even genetic compatibility. Similar DNA produces similar smells.

So, why do French women not shave their armpits?
Well... why do they like Brie? How often do they bathe?

Yeah, that's right... Dogs have it so much easier! :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 08:47 pm
Yeah, but when i try to sniff some lady's butt, i get whacked in the head--it just ain't fair.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 12:42 am
Well, as far as I remember, it wasn't until the late 50's that shaving the armpits became more common in Germany (so my mother started doing such, too). (As for the legs, there were creams - being a "grown up" in a drugstore, I know about that :wink: )
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 08:42 am
http://www.bhny.com/staff/buriednoses/images/bn061.jpg

found some good reviews. ecampus.com has it on special right now.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 09:26 am
There is an essay by these two authors to be found here:

US-French bickering: tradition, not news
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 09:37 am
Walter...neat link.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 05:37 pm
anyone wanting to understand the french, the germans, the brits, the russians, the canadians AND THE AMERICANS : go to the following site and click on "WHAT SUMMIT PICTURES REVEAL..." - lots of fun ! hbg http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2957440.stm
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 08:27 am
American foreign policy was neatly summed up by Condoleeza Rice:

Punish the French
Ignore the Germans
Forgive the Russians

I would

Punish the neo-cons
Ignore Bush
Forgive the American people.

There was some good news today. The Likudniks in the Republican party must be spitting blood and feathers that Bush has so publically committed himself to a Palestinian State. They thought they were so clever in getting Bush to attack Iraq. They must be shocked that Bush is honouring his promise to Blair to deal evenly with Israel/Palestine.
0 Replies