I NEED SOME HELP IN UNDERSTANDING FRENCHMEN.

Elegant Fowl

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 08:20 pm
steissd wrote:

Recently, the US intelligence started permitting leakage of information that indicates that Iraqi and French presidents were personal friends.

And of course, we believe every word that U.S. intelligence permits to leak, don't we?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 08:25 pm
Welcome, Elegant Fowl!

Of course we believe every word from US intelligence (which traitors call a contradiction in terms) and from Our Glorious Leader. The noble Ashcroft cannot send you to Guantanamo for (evidently) doubting this, but do not forget, Outaouais is not far...
0 Replies

Elegant Fowl

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 08:36 pm
steissd wrote:

Regarding sexiness of the language: IMO, je vous aime does not sound sexier than I love you.

"Je vous aime" is not sexier than "I love you." In modern times one does not address one's lover as "vou." "Je t'aime," now that's sexy, as is "Je t'adore." And when they go far beyond merely sexy, as they have been known to do, they do it with more eloquence than we anglophones can manage. "Je te baiserai jusqu'à l'extase!"
0 Replies

Elegant Fowl

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 08:43 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
The French are the people the world loves to hate.

No, no, the Americans are the people the world loves to hate. It's mainly the Americans who hate the French. Why? Perhaps because the French like to have things their way or no way. Not nearly as much as the Americans, you understand, but enough to make a diminutive version of the impression Amricans give most non-Americans.
0 Replies