I NEED SOME HELP IN UNDERSTANDING FRENCHMEN.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 02:52 pm
I remember having had some drinks with my (German) friend in a bar in Cherbourg.
We had a heavy discussion with some French locals, who were all against us.
Then, some British tourists arrived.
We got free drinks from French, to join them against the British (in French, this was).
We got free drinks from the English vice versa (in English).

Because the French spoke English and German as well, the British lost. It ended singing 'God save the Queen' by all - and one of heaviest hangovers I had had until then.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 02:56 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
The French are the people the world loves to hate.

Not only French. Americans are being hated in certain places; you cannot order Turkish coffee in Greece without insulting the server by very mentioning of something Turkish, and the same emotions exist in Bulgaria, Armenia, Romania; Russians are being disliked, at least, in Poland, Czechia and Hungary...
Persians and Arabs actively dislike each other, and both them hate Kurds. In Afghanistan every tribe hated the neighboring one, and all them hated the Soviet Army. Should I add such a phenomenon as anti-Semitism that exists everywhere, except, maybe, Israel and USA?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 03:01 pm
Certainly. In my travels I have encountered much anti-american sentiment. But it's not related to our image and culture, most people who expressed those feelings to me loved all things American and disliked American foreign policy.

But there is a lot of odd animosity.

For example, the jokes about the Polish. In Brazil those jokes are directed against the Portuguese......

In some of those cases you wonder why the stereotypical animosity lingers.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 03:15 pm
It is because all of you are bastards. Smile

Seriously, it may be that it is a natural reaction to distrust others, and from distrust and absence of understanding can develop fear, and hate.

The only defence against that, is education, of a liberal kind.
And travel, of an inclusive kind. It's no good going around in groups.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 03:20 pm
McTag wrote:
The only defence against that, is education, of a liberal kind. And travel, of an inclusive kind.

Well, this has limited efficiency. Mohammed Atta spent enough time in the USA, but this did not make him to love this country and Americans.
Many of the rogue leaders (not only Muslims, take for example a Sorbonne graduate Pol Pot) had perfect liberal European eductaion; this did not make them less savage...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 03:24 pm
I thought, this thread was about 'help to understand Frenchmen' ...
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 03:28 pm
Sorbonne, where Pol Pot got his university diploma, is supposedly in Paris, by the way.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 03:34 pm
Yes, Cambodia was a French colony.

But Pol Pot didn't study at the Sorbonne, because his degree was in radio electronics (other sources say he attended a school for printers and typesetters and also studied civil engineering).
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 03:36 pm
But he did it in France. And I heard a rumor that he became politically active while being a student there. The results are well-known.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 03:39 pm
Yes.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 03:51 pm
Well, these are good points, Steissd, though it hurts me to say so.
Maybe I should just say, the exception proves the rule. (I regret Walter will not permit me to say more.)

I think what harms France is the extreme cynicism and selfishness of some of its political decisions over the last thirty years.
And, the antics of the French farmers.
And the Common Agricultural policy.
And its trade unions.
And their attitude over their silly language. Don't they know it sounds foreign to us?
And the fact that they don't wash very often. Wink

However, I like Asterix, Stephane Grapelli and Brigitte Bardot. And Tintin
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 03:56 pm
One point strikes me. It is not the education of Pol Pot and Mohammed Atta which is important, because idealogues and zealots will always occur; but the education of all those over whom they might have influence. That way, extremism has less of a chance of taking hold.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 03:57 pm
Besides that tintin is of Belgian origin, I share likes, McTag. (Could add some more mesdemoiselles ...)
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 04:02 pm
McTag wrote:
However, I like Asterix, Stephane Grapelli and Brigitte Bardot.

I used to like the Roquefort cheese, but now I prefer to buy its Danish version (forgot the brand name, but it has almost the same taste).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 04:07 pm
The Danish is made of pasteurised milk, while the original is raw milk. (A good old Stilton is much better!)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 04:09 pm
Steissd, are you one of the Freedom Fries/ no-French-wine-or-luxury-goods brigade? Fess up.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 04:10 pm
Well, but I launched a personal boycott of the French goods out of solidarity with the Americans. Majority of Israelis still buy French merchandises... Well, real French Roquefort is really better than the Danish one, I have to admit...
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 04:11 pm
Freedom Fries? No. We call them chips in Israel. This has nothing to do with France.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 04:21 pm
Brilliant! For chips is what they are. A lot of Israelis come from the north of England, home of fish & chips. Enough apparently at least to secure the dictionary entry.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 04:36 pm
Je ne sais qoui, feuille d'erable...especially when je non understand porquois les French non laver themselves more often....Je m'excuse, moi shall be no help ici...
0 Replies