I NEED SOME HELP IN UNDERSTANDING FRENCHMEN.

bobsmyth

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 05:25 pm
Hey Cav I didn't know you were Gallic. Anyway, before I took my first trip to France many friends and/or acquaintances warned me of the arrogance and disdain directed toward Americans in particular and anybody else who was not French. Nothing could be further from the truth. I found them cordial, courteous, helpful. It was easier when my ex-wife the wonderful and terrible Solveig who had lived two years in France was with me. But when alone and needing help not only were they very understanding but even went out of their way to help. They showed humor and warmth at all times.
As regards French culture French writing, film directors, musicians, actors have all given me pleasure. Names like Francois Truffaut, Yves Montand, Jean Paul Belmondo, Edith Piaf bring back many hours of enjoyment. Solveig had seen Edith Piaf while in Paris. As a matter of fact she once had dinner at Cousteau's apartment. My favorite book on entomology was by J. Henri Fabre.
In summary I really like things French. It may be like my own country where I love Americans (not all) but often dislike the government.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 05:36 pm
Just returned from movie... Some of the postings have been helpful. I am especially interested in first hand experiences. Bobsy, you appear to be more positive than some observers.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 05:37 pm
steissd wrote:
New Haven wrote:
...The French have produced some very famous scientists over the past centuries.
[...]
The French are thought to be sexy, just because the French language is a very sexy language, relative to plain, unsexy, English.

Well, Germany, USSR and USA produced not less than France did. Sir Isaac Newton was British, Albert Einstein was born in Switzerland and lived in Germany and USA, Pavlov was Russian/Soviet citizen, Robert Koch, Paul Ehrlich, Wehrner von Heisenberg, Wilhelm Konrad Röntgen, Werner von Braun were Germans, Messrs. Watson and Crick were Americans, and Sir Alexander Flemming lived and died in the UK, etc.
Regarding sexiness of the language: IMO, je vous aime does not sound sexier than I love you.

To name only a few scientists: Madam Curie and Louis Pasteur

Relative sexy French language: I love you in French is far more plesant on the hears of the beloved, than is "I love you"! Very Happy
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 05:38 pm
McTag wrote:
Watson and Crick were WHAAATTT?

And not dead yet I don't think.

Crick: British
Watson: American
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 05:38 pm
McTag wrote:
Watson and Crick were WHAAATTT?

And not dead yet I don't think.

Crick: British
Watson: American
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 05:40 pm
steissd wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
The French are the people the world loves to hate.

Not only French. Americans are being hated in certain places; you cannot order Turkish coffee in Greece without insulting the server by very mentioning of something Turkish, and the same emotions exist in Bulgaria, Armenia, Romania; Russians are being disliked, at least, in Poland, Czechia and Hungary...
Persians and Arabs actively dislike each other, and both them hate Kurds. In Afghanistan every tribe hated the neighboring one, and all them hated the Soviet Army. Should I add such a phenomenon as anti-Semitism that exists everywhere, except, maybe, Israel and USA?

Anti-semitism is alive and obvious in the USA.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 05:42 pm
Hey bobsmyth, I am just a Canadian who was forced to take French in high school, and then chose a couple of Uni French classes to fulfill my language credits Very Happy I love most French things that don't involve the government, and I believe it is unfair to punish the artisans of a great culture because of the way their leaders choose to run the country. French cheese, wine, films, literature...all wonderful. Also, let's not forget that while America was segregating black performers back home, Josephine Baker and many other black American jazz musicians were embraced by the French. So...when it comes to wars, maybe their political decisions are questionable (and I have posted here regarding that), but hey, I have no intention of boycotting their products, and it's "pont neuf" potatoes, not "freedom fries" fer chrissakes...if they really wanted to change the name in America, why not just go the British "chips"? Most likely because too many voting rednecks would be confused by "crisps".
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 05:44 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Hey bobsmyth, I am just a Canadian who was forced to take French in high school, and then chose a couple of Uni French classes to fulfill my language credits Very Happy I love most French things that don't involve the government, and I believe it is unfair to punish the artisans of a great culture because of the way their leaders choose to run the country. French cheese, wine, films, literature...all wonderful. Also, let's not forget that while America was segregating black performers back home, Josephine Baker and many other black American jazz musicians were embraced by the French. So...when it comes to wars, maybe their political decisions are questionable (and I have posted here regarding that), but hey, I have no intention of boycotting their products, and it's "pont neuf" potatoes, not "freedom fries" fer chrissakes...if they really wanted to change the name in America, why not just go the British "chips"? Most likely because too many voting rednecks would be confused by "crisps".

CHIPS?

In the USA: chip is a potato chip>
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 05:45 pm
NH, anti-semitism is also quite prevalent in France.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 05:45 pm
Hey, Mapleleaf. It's my nature I think. I seem to find fun wherever I go. The same sort of thing happened in La Belle Province Quebec. I've gone up there for Bruins/Canadiens hockey games. Never had a bad meal. Cheerful folks but again I've heard the same horror stories regarding them. (gives Gallic shrug).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 05:47 pm
Yes, NH, that was my point...in Britain a "chip" is a "crisp", hence resulting confusion in America if they went that route....
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 05:53 pm
Cav's post mentioning Josephine Baker reminded me of the tremendous popularity Louis Armstrong enjoyed there. He too always spoke of enjoying France and the French.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 05:59 pm
cavfancier wrote:
NH, anti-semitism is also quite prevalent in France.

It also was, prior to, and during the Nazi occupation.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 03:50 am
cavfancier wrote:
Yes, NH, that was my point...in Britain a "chip" is a "crisp", hence resulting confusion in America if they went that route....

Pas du tout, mon brave.

In USA and Canada, a crisp is a "chip". And a chip is a "French Fry" or a "Freedom Fry", God help us.

A la prochaine,

McT
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 04:45 am
Personally, I'm not overly fond of the French, but I can understand their actions. As for collaborators and resistance during WWII, all countries in europe under the sway of the germans had both in varying degrees.
As for the language, it sounds much more musical then English, dutch or German...Especially German! Hence the reputation I guess. I also love Tintin (we know him as Kuifje), and Asterix, and BB. There's a lot to like about France, and a lot not to like. Actually, that last sentence is so commonplace that you could constitute the name of France with almost any other country in the world. That says, I guess, enough about my point of view regarding generalizations over countries.
As bobsmyth states, prejudices usually evaporate once you get to visit a country.

Greetz,
Naj.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 04:46 am
Personally, I'm not overly fond of the French, but I can understand their actions. As for collaborators and resistance during WWII, all countries in europe under the sway of the germans had both in varying degrees.
As for the language, it sounds much more musical then English, dutch or German...Especially German! Hence the reputation I guess. I also love Tintin (we know him as Kuifje), and Asterix, and BB. There's a lot to like about France, and a lot not to like. Actually, that last sentence is so commonplace that you could constitute the name of France with almost any other country in the world. That says, I guess, enough about my point of view regarding generalizations over countries.
As bobsmyth states, prejudices usually evaporate once you get to visit a country.

Greetz,
Naj.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 07:04 am
Find this discussion completely inexplicable, to be honest -- mystifying. Natives of Louisiana move to Seattle and are startled by the cultural differences, compare them negatively to "home." Philadelphians (as has been shown in another discussion) are extremely rude about north Texas. The stereotyping of France and the French is done by those who know France very little or don't know it at all. Hell, Parisians are rude about the hicks in Provence; the accent in Calais gets some raw comments from Burgundians. Understand a Frenchman? Go meet one, talk with one. He's as like you and as different from you as your neighbor.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 10:26 am
Tartarin

This really is the best response of all!
(Actually, I'd like some Frenchmen to be my neighbours instead of some of the actual ones!)
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 11:17 am
Tartarin, I agree with Walter. Your answer is really good.

On vacation in France I met nice people, not so nice people, helpful people, not so helpful - as everywhere.

I'll be going to Lyon in a week on a business trip and will take a closer look. As to the food - I spent a couple of days with a friend in Alsace some time ago - the food was heaven!

I like the language. However, it is so much easier for me to learn and speak English.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 11:51 am
Hey my involvement here is a bit tongue-in-cheek, as I hope is clear.
We love the French, they gave us Arsene Wenger.
0 Replies