Knock knock...?

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 11:13 am
Reuters Link

Quote:
US court: evidence allowed despite police violation
Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:46 AM ET

WASHINGTON, June 15 (Reuters) - A divided U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Thursday that evidence can be used even if the police violated the rule requiring them to knock on the door and announce their presence before entering and searching a suspect's home.

The justices by a 5-4 vote upheld a Michigan court ruling that the failure by the officers to knock and announce their presence did not require the exclusion of the evidence seized under a valid search warrant.

The ruling represented the latest in a series of decisions by the court's conservative majority to expand police powers to conduct searches and seize evidence.

So, okay. Now the police don't even have to knock on your door before storming in and sacking the place.

Does anyone else have a problem with this? I mean, sheesh; isn't the right to private property a major American value?

We're told that our phones are being spied upon, for our own good.
Our internet is spied upon, for our own good.
Is this for our 'own good' as well?

Do Conservatives really support this? It seems that we live in more and more of a police state every year...

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,153 • Replies: 49
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 11:19 am
Presumably the police have had to get a warrant from a judge, and hopefully the judge won't grant it without significant probable cause that there may be evidence of a crime in the house. Of course, the resident may well be innocent of anything, but the police did have to make their case sufficiently to convince a judge. They cannot just walk in on a whim. The question is only whether the police have to give the resident time to flush drugs down the toilet or otherwise conceal a crime, or whether the police may have an element of surprise.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 11:19 am
This makes me uncomfortable, as well. However, i don't see that it does any violence to the IVth Amendment, which does not specify how a search shall be conducted:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Objections to such a procedure would have to hinge upon the word "unreasonable," and insofar as the Court has not held that proceeding to have been unreasonable, it does not appear that anything can be done about this. It would require either a further ruling by this Court, or a ruling by a subsequently sitting Court of a different complexion, to change this--or an amendment to the Constitution. Constitutional amendment is not easily accomplished, and i rather think that most people would have a knee-jerk response to support "law and order."

A very disturbing development, though, in my never humble opinion.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 11:41 am
"The justices by a 5-4 vote upheld a Michigan court ruling that the failure by the officers to knock and announce their presence did not require the exclusion of the evidence seized under a valid search warrant."

Makes sense to me as described. The search warrant is valid, so what's the problem?

If no one was home, do you expect the police to wait?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 11:45 am
woiyo wrote:

That's a rather silly question--from the viewpoint of the police, it would make good sense to wait, unless they were certain of where to find the alleged criminals. Beyond that, finding something in your home while you are away does not tie it to you--your presence is very helpful in making the case that you are responsible for what is found.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 11:51 am
Setanta wrote:
woiyo wrote:

That's a rather silly question--from the viewpoint of the police, it would make good sense to wait, unless they were certain of where to find the alleged criminals. Beyond that, finding something in your home while you are away does not tie it to you--your presence is very helpful in making the case that you are responsible for what is found.

Actually, it is a silly question. I don't think they can enter if no one us at home. There seems to be a policy that they must at least announce themselves then wait up to 15 seconds before entering. This ruling seems to only effect the KNOCKING ON THE DOOR part of announcement.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:40 pm
That contradicts the Reuters article. If, however, what you assert is true, then i consider the ruling to be less alarming, somewhat . . .

I've been about many other things, and haven't had the time to track the story down. Were someone to post more detailed information, i'd certaily appreciate it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 07:10 pm
Setanta wrote:
That contradicts the Reuters article. If, however, what you assert is true, then i consider the ruling to be less alarming, somewhat . . .

I've been about many other things, and haven't had the time to track the story down. Were someone to post more detailed information, i'd certaily appreciate it.

Here is the ruling:

http://laws.findlaw.com/us/000/04-1360.html
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 07:29 pm
The purpose of the knock knock is to warn the druggies to flush quickly.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 07:32 pm
or give someone who just got out of the shower enough time to put some clothes on.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 04:15 am
I would rather the police enter without a knock then hear on the news that a cop was shot trying to perform a search warrent. Why give the crooks time to setup the weapons and get rid of their drugs. What is it with the left that always wants to protect the crooks and place the non-crooks in harms way.

Does it say in the Constitution that the police have to knock in the first place?

I look at it this way. The police have enough common sence to know they should knock for and who they don't. A search warrent on a house or person for the 5th time for drugs and they won't knock because of the danger involved. A first time search warrent on a person without a violent past will involve a knock before entering.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 06:05 am
The Washington Post has the story in a little more detail.

Quote:
The Constitution does not require the government to forfeit evidence gathered through illegal "no knock" searches, the Supreme Court ruled yesterday, in a far-reaching ruling that could encourage police with search warrants to conduct more aggressive raids.

The 5 to 4 decision broke with the court's modern tradition of enforcing constitutional limitations on police investigations by keeping improperly obtained evidence out of court. The "exclusionary rule" has been imposed to protect a series of rights, such as the right to remain silent in police custody and the right against warrantless searches.

But the broadly worded majority opinion by Justice Antonin Scalia, joined by Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justices Anthony M. Kennedy, Clarence Thomas and Samuel A. Alito Jr., suggested that the nation has moved into a new era of improved policing in which such strong medicine may no longer be justified.

The ruling underscored the court's rightward shift since Alito replaced Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who seemed to disagree with Scalia about the case while she was on the court. And it once again focused attention on the pivotal role of Kennedy, a moderate conservative, who supplied a fifth vote to the majority while issuing a separate concurring opinion that disavowed a portion of Scalia's opinion and asserted that it did not portend any broader erosion of the exclusionary rule.

At issue in yesterday's case, Hudson v. Michigan , No. 04-1360, was the "knock and announce" rule, which has deep roots in Anglo American law. In 1995, the court made it part of what defines a "reasonable search" under the Fourth Amendment, without saying how it should be enforced.

But most federal and state lower courts to consider the matter have ruled that it should be enforced through an "exclusionary rule," along with the rest of the Fourth Amendment.

Before yesterday's decision, police executing a search warrant in most jurisdictions had to worry that they might lose a case if they did not first knock on the door, announce themselves and wait a reasonable time for a response before forcing their way in.

Now, unless state law says otherwise, the most they would face is administrative discipline or a lawsuit for damages.

Civil liberties groups and defense lawyers had argued to the court that those deterrents are far too weak to enforce the "knock and announce" rule, which, they argued, is often all that stands between an innocent citizen and an errant SWAT team.

That position was urged on the Supreme Court by attorneys for Booker T. Hudson Jr., a Michigan man convicted of drug possession after police found crack cocaine in his pockets during a 1998 no-knock raid that the state admitted was unlawful.

But Michigan's Supreme Court was one of the few lower courts to reject an exclusionary rule for "knock and announce" violations. Hudson's conviction was upheld, and he appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Scalia's opinion focused on the guilty defendants who go free when otherwise valid evidence is thrown out of court. He concluded that that "social cost" is too high in relation to whatever additional privacy protection residents get from the "knock and announce" rule.

"Resort to the massive remedy of suppression of evidence of guilt is unjustified," Scalia wrote.

Scalia argued that the law enforcement landscape has changed dramatically since 1961, when the Supreme Court first imposed an exclusionary rule on the states to protect against warrantless searches. Today's police are more professional than those of 45 years ago, he observed, and there is "increasing evidence that police forces across the United States take the constitutional rights of citizens seriously."

In this environment, Scalia argued, lawsuits and administrative proceedings are enough to ensure that police comply with the "knock and announce" rule.

That line of reasoning prompted a 30-page dissenting opinion from Justice Stephen G. Breyer, who disputed Scalia's upbeat view of modern policing and argued that lawsuits and police discipline have already proved inadequate to punish and deter "knock and announce" violations.

"Today's opinion," Breyer wrote in dissent, "weakens, perhaps destroys, much of the practical value of the Constitution's knock-and-announce protection." Justices John Paul Stevens, David H. Souter and Ruth Bader Ginsburg joined Breyer.

Scalia's cost-benefit analysis could be invoked not only to deny a new exclusionary rule in this case, Breyer argued, but also to roll back the use of the exclusionary rule to enforce the Fourth Amendment in areas where it has long been recognized.

"The majority's 'substantial social costs' argument is an argument against the Fourth Amendment's exclusionary principle itself," Breyer wrote. "And it is an argument that this Court, until now, has consistently rejected."

Kennedy tried to diminish the apparent sweep of Scalia's opinion, indicating that "the continued operation of the exclusionary rule as settled and defined by our precedents, is not in doubt."

There was strong circumstantial evidence that, if O'Connor had not been replaced by Alito, Breyer would have been speaking for the court.

In January, when the justices heard the case and cast tentative votes, Connor was still on the court. Her comments at argument suggested she favored Breyer's view.

But after she left the court Jan. 31, the court announced the case would be reargued -- a sign that it had reverted to a 4 to 4 tie without her vote.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 06:30 am
Baldimo wrote:
A first time search warrent on a person without a violent past will involve a knock before entering.

i understand that some states have what are called no-knock warrants, specifically for those cases involving guns, drugs, and what-not, but Michigan does not. i would be more reassured if all states had this provision--even if it's redundant, it does no harm.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 07:00 am
The case and the basis for the ruling as provided at FindLaw-dot-com clearly recognizes that this case was a violation of the announcement provisions of Federal statute which was passed (1917) with regard to VIth Amendment protections. Scalia et al note that Michigan has stipulated the violation, and that they are ruling on the remedy, and not the issue of whether or not there were a violation. The petitioner, Hudson, alleges that the remedy is the suppression of evidence; Scalia et al do not concur.

I don't see this as an encroachment on VIth Amendment rights, in that the State of Michigan stipulated the violation. The Court does not appear to me to have established any dangerous new precedent, but only to have addressed the issue of the remedy appropriate in view of the stipulated violation. The Court is not saying that police can ignore their obligation to announce before entry, they are simply saying that suppression of the evidence gained is not an appropriate remedy in this particular case.

Tempest in a teapot stuff if one thinks to allege a dangerous incursion into our VIth Amendment rights.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:51 am
So you agree, Setanta, with Antonin(I'm an Originalist")Scalia's
"Cost/benefit analysis" approach to determining privacy rights and justice? (It's missing from my copy of the Constitution, but apparently it's in his original.)

As you pointed out, this was not an adjustment to a forty-five year old ruling but one that extends from 1917 and probably to 13th Century English Common Law. So now, if the State collects enough evidence (even in a tainted manner) the social benefit of putting those citizens away will outweigh the cost of the rest of us losing the sanctity of our homes.

From the above article:
Quote:
Scalia's cost-benefit analysis could be invoked not only to deny a new exclusionary rule in this case, Breyer argued, but also to roll back the use of the exclusionary rule to enforce the Fourth Amendment in areas where it has long been recognized.

Is Breyer wrong?

Is there no parallel here to the same thinking in regard to the recent searchs of the Congressional Offices?

The men at the foot of your bed are examining the cost/benefit of tearing your life apart for the good of the country.

Joe(Just lie still)Nation
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 10:36 am
I'm a bit fuzzy on what exactly you're complaining about, Joe. Are you grumbling about the fact that if the cops don't knock the evidence they obtain won't be excluded, or that they can enter a home with a valid warrant?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 11:03 am
I am no cheerleader for Scalia. I mentioned Scalia because, according to the FindLaw article, he wrote the majority opinion. All i have pointed out is that this ruling is concerned with the remedy for what was stipulated in advance to have been an illegal search. That this is disturbing to Breyer on any basis is not evidence that it will be used to our prejudice in the future on that basis.

If you want to worry about it, Joe, help yourself. I don't intend to sweat it.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 11:54 am
Knock, knock.
    Who's there?
SWAT
    SWAT who?
'S what you're hiding that counts, not how we entered.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 12:03 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Knock, knock.
    Who's there?
SWAT
    SWAT who?
'S what you're hiding that counts, not how we entered.

You're crazy Tico... I'd much rather have a gun-totin', crack smoking criminal on the street then evidence allowed in court that was obtained with a valid search warrant but that the cops obtained without knocking first. I mean, who cares that the guy was caught red handed... the cops forgot to knock!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 01:26 pm
Well, I'm relieved there is nothing to be concerned about.

I'm sorry I'm so unclear. The majority, that is the new majority, on the USCC has now ruled on what I shall call the Little Bit of InJustice Rule. The Little Bit of InJustice Rule now says that if the police only screw up a little bit, it's okay to violate your Constitutional rights. It will now be up to police administrational committees to decide whether the cops will be be chastised for that violation, meanwhile, you are trying to call your lawyer from the third floor of the Tombs.

Nobody sees anything slightly slippery slope about this?
(Try to say that into a microphone.)

I'm not surprised by the ruling, nor the composition of the 5-4 members, I'm a little disappointed that we have returned to the pre-1917 standard of privacy/evidence exclusion.

Here's what comes next, also from 1917:

no Miranda warnings,

no documentation/arrest record for three or four days
(Your Honor, the detainee's presence was overlooked inadvertently.),

no crime scene security
(it wasn't deemed necessary)

Just a Little Bit of InJustice to get Justice, that's the way it works now.

All these are okay by me, I guess, says Antonin because society saves.

I know the NRA won't mind those boys from the ATF no-knocking their way into their headquarters.

Joe(We'll have to work that one out in the administrational committee)Nation
0 Replies