Deadwood Is Back and In Spades!

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:11 pm
The HBO series is still exploring the groin of the Old West. I love this show -- it's striking authenticity and its little quirks just amaze me. Okay, so the dialogue gets off on maybe too many "F" words but how does one imagine those people spoke? SWEARengen -- okay! Very Happy

My favorite character, Calamity Jane.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,112 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:29 pm
American Heritage, surely no fanzine, thought highly enough of the show to run an interview with David Milch as its cover story in the July issue. As I am the last person on Earth not to have cable, I haven't seen the show yet, but what I hear and read about it is certainly impressive.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 08:54 am
The first season is rentable on DVD. It contains the infamous murder of Wild Bill Hickock.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 08:57 am
This is my all time favorite show. This season looks to be another good one.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 09:05 am
Even to opening titles and music is inspired and sets the tone and atomosphere of what is to follow. Most of the characters are based on real people who lived and died in Deadwood -- it's like a time machine.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 09:13 am
Lightwizard wrote:
The first season is rentable on DVD. It contains the infamous murder of Wild Bill Hickock.

Wasnt that Howard Keel in the film of Calamity Jane???!!!
Dont tell me he dies!!!!
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 09:16 am
Calamity Jane is the best, from the first time she opens her mouth and silences a group of teamsters with her ability to use profanities to when she slugs some guy at a dance because she thinks he's looking at her in a dress. Although Al Swearingen is the best, most three dimensional, perhaps most human villain I've ever seen. I love this show!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 09:22 am
My husband really likes deadwood, I've caught an episode here and there, and I like it.

About their language...my boss is a southern baptist (oy) and she has watched the show even more than me, likes the story.

she said to me "but it's just not realistic how much they curse!"

I said "I think that's pretty much how they really talked, jeez look at the big picture, it was rough"

She just shook her head.

Do y'all think they talked like that?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 09:25 am
I think they probably did. Maybe not those exact words, but I'm sure there weren't many "gentlemen and ladies" among the bunch. Not in the beginning anyway.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 09:28 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I think they probably did. Maybe not those exact words, but I'm sure there weren't many "gentlemen and ladies" among the bunch. Not in the beginning anyway.

phukin A right free duck.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 09:30 am
I think Hearst is going to try and whack Swearingen... oops series crossover language mistake... I meant shoot the varmint....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 09:37 am
That **********. He can't feed Swearengen to the pigs because the series would be over if he did. It's interesting how Bullock, Swearengen and Mrs. Garret-Ellsworth have their interests suddenly aligned.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 03:32 pm
I'll have to get that DVD, I guess. Thanx for the tip, LW.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 08:32 am
The series just gets better and better but I understand they will be coming to the end of the read Deadwood's corrupt, nearly lawless and the gold by the end of season three. I haven't researched how long the gold held out as that was the reason the town existed but there's also the influence of Washington to absorb the settlement and make it into at least semblance of order.

Alma Garret is addicted again to the opium drug and it looks like it could put the town's bank, funded by Alma, in jeopardy. I don't know if Hearst gets whacked in real history which is why I'm holding off with too much research. Talk about giving away the plot! Not even sure if Hearst is one of the real characters.l

May be time to do some limited research of the actual history -- nearly all the characters are based on real people.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 08:36 am
Again, not really any spoilers here -- the Hearst character is real and, in fact, the first in a line of political wannabes which eventually gave the world William Randolph Hearst.

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/WE-DeadwoodHBO.html
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:32 am
The final episode of the season in the series now slated to last three seasons. Last weeks was incredible, now the season finale may prove to be on of the best ever on HBO. Certainly leagues ahead of anything on network.

http://www.hbo.com/deadwood/

The most infamous of Western frontier towns is an enticing place to visit -- is it really a "ghost" town?

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/sd/deadwood.html
0 Replies