What can I make with prosciutto?

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 03:55 am
soz,

I was a non meat eater for 6.5 years and one of the first meats I ate was cured, raw ham...Spanish Jamon rather than Italian Prosciutto, but they're more similar than different.

My favourite uses:

Just as it is, rolled up and eaten on its own, with crusty bread afterwards. A glass of slightly sweet Italian sparkling wine (Prosecco) is a great accompaniment.

Sandwich - with buffalo mozzarella, a few basil leaves and sliced (ripe, juicy) tomato - on ciabbata with a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil. Sides of marinated black olives and a good glass of Chiatni Ruffina!

With fish - honestly! Take monkfish tails (or similar) and cut into half, lengthways, to give pieces about 1" accross and 4" long. Wrap prosciutto around to cover all sides of the fish. Use a cocktail stick/toothpick to hold in place. Heat a pan with a touch of olive oil and heat the oven to medium temperature. Fry the fish parcels until the prosciutto takes on a little colour and turn a couple of times. Transfer to the oven for 10 minutes, which allows the fish to cook through without losing its freshness. The coat keeps it moist and the combination of flavours is superb. Deglaze the pan with a little lemon juice and pour the juices over the served dish. Ideal with mashed potatoes and an unoaked Chardonnnay or Pinot Grigio. Delicious and very easy.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 08:57 am
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
0 Replies