What can I make with prosciutto?

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 05:44 pm
patiodog, on the other hand, is digging himself a hole there...
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 05:50 pm
Hi sozobe,

Off the top of my head, roll it up with a slice of melon...the contrasting tastes means it works...and it is delicious...other than that, I'll have a look through my grandmother's old receipes. I'm always looking for a good excuse to do so!

Anyway, enjoy!

L Smile
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 05:52 pm
So I was walking down the aisle of my local Safeway this afternoon; with my cockatoo on my shoulder and my python on its leash ahead of me. Typical American shopper. Suddenly the snake lashed out at a bag of foreign food. I detached the snake from the bag and, looking around to see if anyone had noticed, I put it back on the shelf. We moved on to the frozen pizza department. (sorry, the image couldn't be purged until I posted-
rjb)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 05:57 pm
Thanks, Lorna! That sounds yummy.

rjb, exactly!!!! I had many similar images going through my head. I can never ever figure out when steissd is being purposely funny (in his trademark dry way) or incidentally funny, but he makes me laugh a lot. Very Happy
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 06:09 pm
Sorry, Sozobe, I do not think that lack of slang knowledge (and referring to a little human being with a word deriving from his mother's name adding suffix "-let" obviously does not pertain to King's English) makes a person being funny. It is not my fault that I was not entitled to be born in the USA.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 06:40 pm
Lorna wrote:
Hi sozobe,

Off the top of my head, roll it up with a slice of melon...the contrasting tastes means it works...and it is delicious...other than that, I'll have a look through my grandmother's old receipes. I'm always looking for a good excuse to do so!

Anyway, enjoy!

L Smile

I was first introduced to prosciutto by my ex-wife --an Argentine of Italian extraction. That is just the way she used to serve it -ie. with melon. It's delicious that way.

You can also have it wrapped around 'palmitos' ie. hearts of palm. which is not too too different from having it with asparagus except that it's a little more exotic. (for us Northamericans at least)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 06:41 pm
Certainly not, steissd.

As it happens, a British speaker of the King's English was the one who started the "sozlet" thing.

I assumed that in our many interactions it would have come up at some point that I was a mother of a small child, but I admit that that is not a very good assumption for me to make.

Nonetheless, a) you claimed ignorance of how old my daughter is when I responded to your question about teaching her not to chomp on things at the grocery store, while the first sentence of this question contains the information that she is two years old, and b) you now use the masculine pronoun ("him") when I have referred to her as a "she" repeatedly. (My daughter is a 2.5 year old girl, for the record.) There has been some precedent of you willfully misunderstanding things for comic effect, so I don't think I was too out of line in thinking that may be going on here.

At any rate, I often find you funny, and it seems like a fair amount of the time that I find you funny you then say to other people some variation of "I can't believe you took that seriously, I was joking." Smile
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 06:46 pm
Lorna wrote:
Hi sozobe,

Anyway, enjoy!

L Smile

I was first introduced to prosciutto by my ex-wife --an Argentine of Italian extraction. That is just the way she used to serve it -ie. with melon. It's delicious that way.

You can also have it wrapped around 'palmitos' ie. hearts of palm. which is not too too different from having it with asparagus except that it's a little more exotic. (for us Northamericans at least)
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 06:51 pm
When I read the first sentence, I did not understand that it referred to the human being, that is why I asked what is "sozlet". Referring to the baby as to "him" was just a typo.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 07:21 pm
I was going by this, steissd:

steissd wrote:
Ah, I understand. Sorry, it first I thought that this was some exotic pet, and you took your screen name after it. But have not you taught her that it is not permitted to grab goods from the shelves and to bite them?

This contains the information that you understand she is a human, not a pet, yet then immediately goes into whether I have taught her not to grab goods and bite them...

Anyway, no biggie. Just pointing things out.

jjorge, that does indeed sound very good, both versions, but the melon especially intrigues me.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 07:05 am
jjorge,

Smile --- I knew it was an Italian thing, used to think Nana invented it, lol...

ps. Don't think I've ever been quoted before. Cool! (It's the little things that make me happy, see...)

Sozobe,

Nana also used it as a stuffing in cabbage, and as a substitute for sausage in pepperoni and sausage bread, and on pizza...and for anything where she needed to 'throw something in'!

Jeez, I'm getting hungry... Smile

L Smile
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 07:16 am
Lorna - Nana cornered the proscuitto business in your town, too?

"Ahem, me and the boys here, where like here from Nana. And she don't like anyone new moving smallgoods in this here town. You got 24 hours before we fit you up with a concrete overcoat, capish?"
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 07:59 am
Lorna wrote:
Smile Don't think I've ever been quoted before. Cool! . . . It's the little things that make me happy . .

Well, in that case have a happy happy day! :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 08:01 am
Lorna wrote:

Sozobe,

Nana also used it as a stuffing in cabbage, and as a substitute for sausage in pepperoni and sausage bread, and on pizza...and for anything where she needed to 'throw something in'!

Jeez, I'm getting hungry... Smile

L Smile

Me too! Thanks for all the ideas.

(Hey, jjorge had this idea first. Wink)

Worf, when did you get the Italian accent?
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 01:36 pm
Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 02:00 pm
A kiss to the sozlet from uncle Walter :wink:

Certainly proscuitto tastes best on a warm ciabatta, perhaps overbaked with a mixture from tomatoes, basil, garlic and morzarella.

However, I prefer to eat it just as it ishttp://www.funfriends.de/Fotos/San-Daniele_Schinkenteller.gif
(The Italians wrap it around saltsticks, btw.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 03:16 pm
Nice pic!

I had some today on thinnish slices of crusty french bread, warmed up. It was good!

Still want to try the melons.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 08:59 pm
My daughter does not like bread. School lunches have always been impossible. She's always liked stuffed pitas, though, and quesadillas, so I looked on the internet for recipes for wraps. One that has become a favourite with her, as well as her dad, is a turkey wrap. Cover large sized tortillas with fresh baby spinach, then cover with thinly sliced turkey (a couple of ounces) then with the provolone (about half the amount of the turkey). The recipe calls for roasted red peppers, but I used thinly slice red onion. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar to taste. Roll tightly and cut in half.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 09:00 pm
Yum!
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 12:44 pm
What happens when a wondering mind degenerates into a wandering mind:

Just looked again at the title of this thread ie. 'What can I make with prosciutto?'

It reminded me of when I was a fresh kid.
In my crowd you never asked 'What can I do with this?' or 'What should I do with that?'

If you were uninitiated, or if you slipped and said those words, the reply invariably was:

"Grasp it firmly in your right hand, and, with a wide sweeping motion...shove it up your a*s!"
0 Replies