Privatizing American imperialism: Are you a shareholder?

Vietnamnurse

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 09:58 am
Tartarin:

I meant to answer your post about my lovely tulip tree last night. That you can understand and sympathize with how I feel means very much to me. Nothing will take the place of that 120+ year old tree; it is irreplaceable.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 07:15 pm
Much appreciation for the Warmonger deck of cards! Thanks!

I wonder if the "people" in America realize how so much of the wealth and commerce of this country depends on decisions made and the goals of the miltiary-industrial complex.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 07:15 pm

I wonder if the "people" in America realize how so much of the wealth and commerce of this country depends on decisions made and the goals of the miltiary-industrial complex.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 07:19 pm

0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 07:24 pm

0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 10:48 pm
Hey, tartarin - I've just arrived, so I didn't see your post.

I had noticed that with Nagourney and Bumiller (and others). Maybe that faked shine of partiotism is wearing off, or maybe they're beginning to lose their fear of the WH. At any rate, I've noticed more reporting now about what's happening in Iraq, and even the staid old PBS Newshour has begun sounding different.

Watergate took several years to unravel, and the reporting atmosphere was similar to what we have now. Bush has Rove, Nixon had Haldeman and Erlichman, and an attorney general named Mitchell, who ended up in jail. So what is it the currently unpopular French say? Nothing changes; everything changes.

Now, a question. Poppy Bush is, and has been, noticeably absent from the scene for quite a while. He was never one of the Rumsfeld-Cheney crew, so....I wonder. And does george realize he's a pawn?
0 Replies

jeffharrison

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 11:42 pm
steissd's post of [Fri May 16, 2003 4:20 pm] is an amazing thing.

He pastes 3 questions, and a "statement" which requests people examine evidence for themselves, to see if it fits a "pattern".

There is no "value judgment" as to whether the "pattern" represents a GOOD thing or a BAD thing. It is only suggested that the pattern exists, and requests readers judge for themselves (in other words, think, reason, and draw a conclusion on one's own).

He then says "such statements" (in the absence of ANY "statements") "...are not far from justifying terror attacks on the American citizens" (a "value judgment" of his own that he supports by NO logical backup), and then he makes yet another leap from the weasel phrase "not far from" to an absolute, "is a blatant support of terror."

I recognize the style here. ANY questioning of official policy, authority, the administration, or government while in the control of a certain party, is not to be tolerated. This is the "WITH US or WITH THE TERRORISTS" mindset that must identify any analysis, questioning, criticism, or original thought as being "terroristic" in nature, by definition.

There are people throughout history who have performed the function steissd is attempting to perform here. I wonder if he's aware of the people he is placing himself in league with?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 07:02 am
I hope this won't unnecessarily offend Steissd, but I've been fascinated with his posts from the get-go, and am reminded each time of someone who has been brought up to believe certain things and is unable to be a questioner -- questioning being a fundamental duty of the free and involved citizen. The echt totalitarian (see also Bush, Rumsfeld, et al) says, "No need for questions! No justification for questions. Questions upset the functioning of the central government!" If Steissd is not inherently fearful of questions, I hope he will be quite specific as to when they are acceptable in a democracy, and when not.
0 Replies