peeps on TV don't say hello or goodbye

dov1953

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 10:28 pm
Twisted Evil Have you ever noticed that when characters in movies or TV are talking on the telephone they never say goodbye or hello to the person they're simulating a conversation with. They just hang up the phone. I noticed this when I was a child and since then I have never known it to happen, not even once. Please someone put my tortured soul to rest and explain this to me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,132 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Greyfan

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 02:29 pm
Sorry to get here so late with the answer, but here it is:

Bad scripting. You don't have to say goodbye or hello when you already know not only who the other person is but also exactly when they are going to run out of lines.

Its also done in the interest of saving time--which is why characters on shows always understand each other, and nobody ever has to explain what they mean. Realism is sacrificed for dramatic effect.

The phenomenon is not restricted to dialogue. Ever notice on "Star Trek" the magical doors, which whoosh open whenever a cast member wants to leave the room, but stay shut if he or she is just walking nearby?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 06:58 am
Greyfan's right. It's mainly a time-saver. I think I have heard TV and movie characters say "Hello" after picking up the phone, but hardly ever "Goodbye" or any other sign-off when hanging up. The point is, most dialogue isn't really life-like if you stop and analyze it. There are conventions of communication, strictly observed by the script writers to keep the plot moving along.
0 Replies