pseudo intellectual

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 03:30 pm
So someone named Asherman as a pseudo intellectual. Interesting I find that. Also confusing. The right seems to perservate on intellectuals being the bane of western civilization so with reason I would say that pseudo intellectuals would be the good guys (not truely being intellectual at all). Also I must admit I'm somewhat confused as to just what constitutes a pseudo intellectual. Could someone/anyone clear this up for me? And yeah Asherman is a bit on the pompous side, I have seen this up close and personal while I was spilling wine on his sofa.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,224 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 03:33 pm
Asherman isn't pseudo anything. Love him or hate him -- or in between -- he's definitely the genuine article. As are you, Dys, I strongly suspect. (In your case, however, we're still wondering just what the 'genuine article' is. Smile)
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 03:37 pm
If I were a great basketball player, the worst thing someone could say to me is that I had no game.
If I were a great marksman, the worst thing someone could say to me is that I had terrible aim.

To criticize an intellectual and claim that they are, in fact, quite the opposite, is supposed to be an immeasurable insult.

....unles of course you're too intelligent to be bothered by such puerile name calling.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 03:40 pm
I admire many true intellectuals. I used to wish I could be one.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 03:49 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

Personally, I am a true pseudo intellectual but only because I did manage to graduate the 8th grade.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 03:53 pm
:wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 03:54 pm
I graduated the ninth grade and actually attended the tenth.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 03:56 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I graduated the ninth grade and actually attended the tenth.

Elitist!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 03:58 pm
don't understand why I was denied a tassel.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 04:01 pm
I'm not even certain what an intellectual is, dys. A degree simply means persistance and being in the right place at the right time.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 04:01 pm
Ann Coulter was in our sunday paper today, yes that's right.

That woman is a piece of work.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 05:27 pm
For what its worth, I was a high school drop-out. Left as our senior year was starting to see the world on one of Uncle's long grey pleasure barges. I did get a GED, but RISD wouldn't let me in without a proper diploma. SOC in Ashland liked my SAT scores and reluctantly enrolled me. I was being warned by my chemistry professor that I shouldn't sit on the tall lab stools if I was going to sleep through his classes, when word came that JFK had been assassinated. I think I passed the course, but just barely.

I was the only member of my fraternity recognized during a panty raid on the girls dorm, and was put on probation. I was less stuffy in those ancient days, drinking Gallo Rose' by the gallon jug. Rather than move back into the dorms, I dropped out and went to San Francisco. Natalie likes telling about how I stood out from the crowd in Hippyville wearing a severe dead black suit buttoned to the neck. Shucks, I didn't get finish my BA degrees until I was over 30.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 05:41 pm
Just as I suspected, a superannuated hippie!

I am amused. Who called Asherman a "pseudo intellectual" ?? What were the circumstances? Someone else above made the point, and I'm sure most of us agree, that Ash is as close to the real article as one can find on these threads.

I also enjoy dislyxeia's tortured attempts to assure us he knows nothing of the concept.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 05:46 pm
dyslexia wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Personally, I am a true pseudo intellectual but only because I did manage to graduate the 8th grade.

You've really got to stop competing with Gus.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 06:04 pm
Bravo, Gala, for recognizing Dys' take on degreeness-ing re import for strength of argument. Or, that is, my take on his take.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 06:06 pm
Ashy wrote-

Quote:
I was the only member of my fraternity recognized during a panty raid on the girls dorm, and was put on probation.

As well you should have been too. It's kinky raiding girls dorms for panties. What use are panties I ask you? Was there something wrong with the girls? They must have been hugely disappointed to see you carrying off their panties after you had come swarming up the drainpipes with promise.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 06:16 pm
Poor McTag. Ann Coulter is a weapon of mass dementia. She should never be allowed outside the US even on airwaves.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 06:16 pm
That's no kind of background for any psuedo-intellectual, or egghead, which was a term from the 60's applied to the Ivy League think tanks, especially addressing politics. It was pointless name-calling then as nobody actually knew the IQ's of any of them and was later echoed by Spiro Agnew in his "effete corps of impudent snobs" comment (something only a psuedo-intellectual would state). Being that he was an effete crook, caveat emptor.

All Ann Coulter would need is a flowing black dress emsemble and she could be our era's Elvira or Vampira.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 06:26 pm
LW, thanks for bringing back memories of Pat Buchanan, who made Spiro look good by giving him "pusillanimous pussyfooters" and "nattering nabobs of negativity.' He was referring to the press, but it seemed to include anyone with some intellectual ability.

Of course, I am aware of the degrees that dys managed to achieve with an "8th" grade education and I also know he is the real thing. I also think Ash is the real thing. Each is the genuine article in their very different ways.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 07:35 pm
Nods.
0 Replies