JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT COULDN'T GET ANY WEIRDER . . .

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:09 am
I've just heard a report on the radio news which states that organized crime has taken to setting up car theft rings to provide North American cars to terrorist groups overseas, who will pay top dollar for the American and Canadian sedans and SUVs because they hold more explosives for a car bomb.

Are we entering the Twilight Zone? Did anyone notice the signpost when we passed it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 835 • Replies: 18
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:20 am
doo-doo-dee-do doo-doo-dee-do
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:23 am
What, did you expect patriotism and social values from psychopaths?

That's what you have running both groups.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:24 am
They probably get paid in opium. Seriously.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:27 am
You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:28 am
This would appear to be a land of imagination. A land not of sight and of sound but of mind...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:29 am
It's not so much that i would have thought it beneath the "dignity" of any member of organized crime or of terrorists. The Sendero Luminoso outlived its creator, and became narco-terroists, and eventually, just lowlife narcotics runners. The Provos and UDF in Ulster became narco-terrorists selling crack in Belfast. It's just mostly that it hadn't occured to me, and it just sounded so damned weird.

I was surprised only because of the novelty--i was not surprised that either group would stoop that low. After all, organized crime represents the only consistent example of "free enterprise" in history.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:29 am
Obviously, we must infiltrate organized crime in order to fight terrorism...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:35 am
I thought it was funny (not in a ha ha way) that our all-american gigantic vehicles have such an... interesting... use for others.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:49 am
In an interview with Robert Fisk, as he was being transported to interview bin Laden in some remote cave, a Taliban driver expressed their groups' appreciation for Toyota's.
"We like Toyota, good for holy war".
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 04:15 pm
Bushie Happy Brownie Took Heat : Email
Email to Brown claims Bush was happy former FEMA head was taking heat for Katrina response

RAW STORY
Published: Friday June 9, 2006

An "embarrasing email" leaked by former FEMA head Michael Brown to CNN quotes President Bush as saying at a Cabinet meeting held shortly after Katrina that he was pleased that Brown was taking most of the heat for the federal government's roundly criticized response to the hurricane.

"I'd rather they beat up on him than me or Chertoff," President Bush allegedly said at the meeting, referring to the head of the Department of Homeland Security, Michael Chertoff. Bush also allegedly thanked Brown for "diverting hostile fire away from the leader."

CNN wasn't able to conclusively confirm that the email sent on September 7, 2005 came from the White House, but Brown said that it was sent to him by a high-level White House official, and the sender's email address ends with "eop.gov," as in "Executive Office of the President." The sender's name was blocked out by the network, as per Brown's request.

Full text of the email:

#
I did hear of one reference to you, at the Cabinet meeting yesterday. I wasn't there but I heard someone commented that the press was sure beating up on Mike Brown, to which the President replied, "I'd rather they beat up on him than me or Chertoff." Congratulations on doing a great job of diverting hostile fire away from the leader.

#
The email can be viewed at this link.

A White House spokesman told CNN that this was an old rumour and refused to comment on it.

"Some of the contents of the e-mail were first claimed in a column written by Brown's lawyer, Andy Lester, in the conservative publication, "Human Events," and subsequently picked up by news media, but until now, the existence of a written record has been unreported," reports CNN at its Situation Room blog (link).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 05:18 pm
Jesus, what a nut job . . .

WTF is that supposed to have to do with car theft rings of North American vehicles?

You just live out there in la-la land all by yer lonesome, doncha?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 06:49 pm
I'm sure Blueflame meant to post that to another thread. I'll bet he's one of these many-windows-open-at-one-time guys.

Myself, I like to stick to one window open at a time. Limiting, perhaps, but much less confusing.

Back to the topic. I don't see why you're so surprised something like this would happen. Didn't Henry Ford have something to do with doing business with the Nazis during WWII? Or for that matter, one of the Bush clan?

How is this any different?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 06:53 pm
Thank goodness all the 50s models of Chrysler, Lincoln and Cadillac have been smashed for recycling.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 08:25 pm
Not all of them Edgar:

http://www.richhopkins.tv/images/what/image013.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 08:30 pm
I concede the few, but not on a scale to keep up with the daily bombing going on.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 05:28 am
Just blowin' up one a them suckers would put a couple of tons of high-speed shrapnel in the air . . . Jesus . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 05:43 am
Probably not a big market for Nash Metropolitians.
http://www.calcruisingauctions.com/images/59nashmetro-1.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 06:02 am
I watched part of an old Clint Eastwood film last night....

a criminal used one of these

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/61/Inferno_rc.jpg/350px-Inferno_rc.jpg

to chase and blow up our hero's car.

It was kind of cool, having a Clint Eastwood car chase, with him fleeing, Bullitt style, all over SF, with a toy car in pursuit.

But it had a Chucky style impact, too.
0 Replies