0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 01:51 pm
And, I even peeked about a bit first.

Sorry. Very Happy
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 01:55 pm
Perhaps if McG named his thread something obvious like "Zarqawi: Dead" you would have seen it. But "Yay!" could be about anything. Razz
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 10:34 am
Freeduck has my back.

Laughing

Yeah. Do something about your infernal ambiguity, McG!!

Yay, indeed.

Why is it, even though the guy scissored off innocent people's heads, that I can't feel genuinely happy about his death? Is there anybody else who is unable to experience a feeling of mirth when even hideous wretches die?

I'm very grateful he's unable to continue his crap, though.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 10:37 am
Some reports allege that a woman and child were killed in the bombing. Other reports state that three women were killed in the bombing. I consider that horrible. Are we become like the Israelis, who use a helicopter gunship to attack an entire apartment building because they have word that someone they want to "get" is in the building?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 10:39 am
Lash wrote:

Why is it, even though the guy scissored off innocent people's heads, that I can't feel genuinely happy about his death? Is there anybody else who is unable to experience a feeling of mirth when even hideous wretches die?

I feel exactly that way but because of my politics, any sort of expression of that thought will come off as, well, you know. I just wish they could go in and arrest him. I know it's not that simple, I really do. It's not a perfect world. But bombs are just so indiscriminate.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 10:42 am
Lash wrote:
Freeduck has my back.

Laughing

Yeah. Do something about your infernal ambiguity, McG!!

Yay, indeed.

McG,

I can see this comment could be construed as a criticism. That was not my intention. The kidding, and the unplanned statement that just sort of followed about my mirth deficit weren't pointed at you.

I hadn't realized aboiut the additional deaths. I quit following the news for a while. It has made me happier. I'll have to get back to it soon, but I needed a break. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 10:47 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Lash wrote:

I feel exactly that way but because of my politics, any sort of expression of that thought will come off as, well, you know. I just wish they could go in and arrest him. I know it's not that simple, I really do. It's not a perfect world. But bombs are just so indiscriminate.

I know what you mean. We can get boxed in pretty tightly when we have to put each of our thoughts through a filter, previewing what other people will say in response.

Glad for the sympatico.

I wonder what Tico thinks of all this... Very Happy
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:44 pm
Which "Tico"?

This Tico is very pleased the POS scumbag is dead.

I think there is a risk that some who were killed in the bombing were completely innocent ... however I also think it very likely that most if not all who were at that safe house knew what they were doing, and with whom they were associating, and if so there was some assumption of risk on their part. This does not, obviously, include any children -- although the latest report is there was no child.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:48 pm
I heard a report on the radio yesterday and an American military official said there was a child. I'll look for it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:49 pm
Given the treatment of women by fundamentalist Muslims, i'd consider any woman who was in the house to have been as innocent as any child.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:50 pm
Here we are. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5472126

Quote:
Zarqawi's own people led coalition and Iraqi forces to his safehouse, tucked away on a deserted road outside the town of Baquoba, northeast of Baghdad. U.S. military spokesman William Caldwell said that most of the intelligence came from senior Zarqawi aides, and focused on the comings and goings of a man known as Sheik Abdel Rahman.

"He was the spiritual adviser to Zarqawi," Caldwell said. "He was brought to our attention by somebody from within the network of Zarqawi's. We had clear enough evidence about a month and a half ago that allowed us to start necking down to the point we were able to prosecute the action last night against that safe house."

Caldwell then played a black-and-white video showing aerial footage of the house surrounded by date palms, crosshairs at the center of the screen zeroing in on the two-story concrete building. The video shows two 500-pound bombs being dropped on the building.

Iraqi police arrived on the scene soon after, where they found Zarqawi, Abdel Rahman, and the unidentified bodies of four others.

"There's a woman in the group and a younger person -- a child," Caldwell said.

Caldwell then showed two large photographs of Zarqaw

That's just for informational purposes, not to say "I told you so", BTW.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:53 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I heard a report on the radio yesterday and an American military official said there was a child. I'll look for it.

Yes, there was such a report. I'm referring to later reports.

Quote:
Gen. George Casey, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, had said four people, including a woman and a child, were killed with al-Zarqawi and Abu Abdul-Rahman al-Iraqi, the terrorist's spiritual consultant.

Caldwell said it now appears there was no child among those killed. He cautioned that some facts were still being sorted out but said that three women and three men, including al-Zarqawi, were killed.

LINK
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:55 pm
(Agreeing with FreeDuck and Lash's take on Zarqawi's death.)
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 01:04 pm
Setanta wrote:
Some reports allege that a woman and child were killed in the bombing. Other reports state that three women were killed in the bombing. I consider that horrible. Are we become like the Israelis, who use a helicopter gunship to attack an entire apartment building because they have word that someone they want to "get" is in the building?

Zarqarwi was a HVT;

High Value Target High Payoff Target

High Value Target (HVT): Those assets that the Enemy Commander requires for successful completion of his mission.
High Payoff target (HPT): Those HVTs that must be acquired and successfully attacked to achieve the Friendly Commander's mission.

I suppose we can call the girl and the Woman a LVC (low value casualty)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 01:04 pm
I did not make clear that i too am disturbed by the nature of this attack. Although i have no doubt that there are those who will be willing to assert that the use of 500 lb. bombs is justified, i do not agree. If, as current reports assert, three women were killed in the attack, i consider the criticism of the operational method to be justified in a most horrible manner.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 01:08 pm
Thats the order they received for the airstrike. That there was an HVT in the building and to make sure it was taken out. I think it was two 500 pound bombs.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 01:16 pm
I hope it's true that there was no child in the house.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 01:38 pm
At 8:44 AM EDT during the Coalition News Conference Major General William Caldwell gave the following answer to a reporter who asked if the four unidentified bodies were adult males:

CALDWELL: "No. There's - there's a woman in the group and a younger person, a child."

When asked how old the child was, Caldwell said: "I have absolutely no idea."

Link
0 Replies