Bunny Hugs? Hoodies? Kangaroo Jackets?

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:07 pm
Recently I've heard people call a kangaroo jacket "a bunny hug" or "a hoody" and it got me thinking about the many different ways to say the same thing. The differences I'm talking about are the kind that appear in the same language. Anyway, I have a couple questions. Is there a name for this particular inter-language variation? And do you know of any really weird words exclusive to your area?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,748 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:23 pm
I think the word you're looking for is colloquialism.

Welcome.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 07:55 am
Although Joe Blow is correct that most people refer to these differences as colloquialisms, that is actually a misuse of the word. A colloquy is simply a conversation--and a colloquialism is simply something which is used conversationally. The term you want is actually a regionalism.

Wikipedia wrote:
A colloquialism is an expression not used in formal speech or writing. Colloquialisms can include words (such as "gonna" or "grouty"), phrases (such as "ain't nothin'" and "dead as a doornail"), or sometimes even an entire aphorism ("There's more than one way to skin a cat"). Dictionaries often display colloquial words and phrases with the abbreviation colloq. Colloquialisms are often used primarily within a limited geographical area.

In some areas, overuse of colloquialisms by native speakers is regarded as a sign of substandard ability with the language. However, in the mouth of a non-native speaker, they are sometimes taken as signaling unusual facility with the language as they may be more difficult for non-native speakers to understand.

A colloquialism can sometimes make its way into otherwise formal speech, as a sign that the speaker is comfortable with his or her audience, in contrast to slang, which if used in formal speech is more likely done so consciously for humorous effect.

Words that have a formal meaning may also have a colloquial meaning that, while technically incorrect, is recognizeable due to common usage.

However . . .

Wikipedia wrote:
regionalism (linguistics)

In linguistics, a regionalism is a word or phrase limited to certain region.

Whereas all regionalisms might be colloquial, not all colloquialisms are necessarily regionalisms.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 08:02 am
Re: Bunny Hugs? Hoodies? Kangaroo Jackets?
perilette wrote:
And do you know of any really weird words exclusive to your area?

"Bubbler" seems to be pretty exclusive to my area, instead of calling it a drinking fountain or water fountain.
Or so I hear.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 11:16 am
We use the word bubbler here in Bahstin.

We also use the term grinder for a long sandwich (called a po'boy in New Orleans, a hoagie in Philadelphia and a sub or submarine sandwich in NY) and frappe for a milk shake. The only place I've ever heard call a frappe (or milk shake) a cabinet is Rhode Island.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 11:39 am
Regionalisms seem to be fading.

None of my kids use the terms "tonic", "gravy", "spa", "gools", "packie",
"hoodsie" (ice cream nor female), "elastics", "jimmies", "open air",
"bang a yooie", or "go to the basement".

And they look at me funny when I do.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:10 pm
Perhaps it's all the national TV -- and national advertising -- we're exposed to. E. g. why call it a grinder when Jared from Subway says it's a sub? Etc.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 01:10 pm
I've heard them called "spuckies" in East Boston.
0 Replies

perilette

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:14 pm
George wrote:

tonic as in medicine? Never use that one. Gravy as in the yummy liquid you put on chicken, turkey, beef, and sometimes potatoes seems like a pretty common word with every generation. A spa, like the place you go for mud baths and stuff? I didn't know there was another name for it. Elastics, like rubber bands? I refer to elastics as the things i tie my hair up with. but for the rest, i have know idea what you're talking about. Are your kids around my age? I'm 14.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 06:46 pm
Main Entry: col·lo·qui·al·ism
Pronunciation: -'lO-kwE-&-"li-z&m
Function: noun
1 a : a colloquial expression b : a local or regional dialect expression
2 : colloquial style

Main Entry: re·gion·al·ism
Pronunciation: 'rEj-n&-"li-z&m, 'rE-j&-n&l-"i-
Function: noun
1 a : consciousness of and loyalty to a distinct region with a homogeneous population b : development of a political or social system based on one or more such areas
2 : emphasis on regional locale and characteristics in art or literature
3 : a characteristic feature (as of speech) of a geographic area

(Both from Webster's online)

Excellent, Set. I was about to insist that perilett's examples *were so* colloquialisms, which they are, but then I read this:

Quote:
Whereas all regionalisms might be colloquial, not all colloquialisms are necessarily regionalisms

And there's the distinction.

Thanks, I liked learning that.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 07:06 pm
They call some of them "bubblers" in Oregon - the ones that stay on and you don't have to press a handle for are "bubblers", the one's that you have to press a handle or button for are "drinking fountains".

They have some weird pronunciations here but I can't think of any really weird words or expressions.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 02:43 am
My trendy daughter says the spelling is hoodie.

Jackets with hoods and the extended front pocket have never been refered to here as kangaroo jackets. although I can see why they are called that.

Always Hoodie.

Australians use a fair amount of american slang because of the amount of American produced television we are innundated with.

I will take a squiz at the rest of the replies now.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 06:33 am
perilette wrote:
George wrote:

tonic as in medicine? Never use that one. Gravy as in the yummy liquid you put on chicken, turkey, beef, and sometimes potatoes seems like a pretty common word with every generation. A spa, like the place you go for mud baths and stuff? I didn't know there was another name for it. Elastics, like rubber bands? I refer to elastics as the things i tie my hair up with. but for the rest, i have know idea what you're talking about. Are your kids around my age? I'm 14.

In Bostonese:
tonic: soda (or pop in some places)
gravy: this word is used to mean spaghetti sauce
spa: a small restaurant specializing in ice cream and lunch items
elastics: yes, rubber bands - I hadn't heard that usage outside New England before.
gools: the word kids use for the goal in hide and seek
packie: a liquor store - short for "package store"
hoodsie: ice cream sold in a small cup by the local Hood milk company. It is also used to refer to a cute, short girl.
jimmies: sprinkles put on ice cream
open air: a drive-in theatre
bang a yooie: make a u-turn
go to the basement: use the bathroom -- most schools of my era had the bathrooms in the basement.

My kids are mostly grown, the youngest is 17.
0 Replies

perilette

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 05:18 pm
dadpad wrote:
My trendy daughter says the spelling is hoodie.

I'm semi-trendy... Crying or Very sad We've always spelt it hoody. The "Y" is extended to underline the rest of the word. I think "Hoody" might be a brand of kangaroo jackets. I really don't know for sure though.

Speaking of these regionalisms (as i'm told their called), there's a rather amusing one in eastern Canada. You see, here in the praries "dainties" are cookies and squares you bring to parties. Those silly easterners use the word "dainties" to mean womans underwear! That might cause some embarassing mix ups. There are other weird sayings in the east. Do you know that game where you knock on a door and then run away before someone answers? Well, here in the west we call it "Knock a door ginger" which sounds far less silly when you compare it to the east's "Knicky knicky nine doors!" I suppose we have some weird sayings in alberta too. While the rest of the country calls it a "Jelly Doughnut" we refer to them as "bismarks"

Do you know what a Smithereen is? What else do you call someone from Smithers, British Columbia?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 05:40 pm
perilette wrote:
Do you know that game where you knock on a door and then run away before someone answers? Well, here in the west we call it "Knock a door ginger" which sounds far less silly when you compare it to the east's "Knicky knicky nine doors!"

Around here we called it ding dong ditch.

Also in Chicago we have front rooms not living rooms I have run across a few people new to the area that have never heard the term gangway before.

I never banged a yooie, but I have busted a yooie, louie and a ralph.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 05:48 pm
We don't bang or bust. We "hang" a louie (left turn) or a ralph (right turn.)

(waves at sublime!)
0 Replies