Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 02:09 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 444 • Replies: 1
No top replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 11:58 pm
I have not read the book, only the article posted above in addition to following the story in the papers when it happened.

I can see some of the points made in the article. I remember speaking to a woman I know who believes in homosexual rights, who expressed astonishment when McGreevy's wife stood by him as he announced he was a "gay American" and resigned. I wondered the same thing.

A homosexual man who marries without informing his wife what she is in for is by nature carrying on an explosive deception.

But can we truly eliminate the role of societal rejection-often violent rejection-of homosexuals when we evaluate these men's actions? If society by and large said, "Hey man, gay is OK by me", then I would think there would be a lot fewer McGreevy-like situations than there are now.

An openly homosexual man or woman is in for a lot of grief, and except for a few Copngressional districts, they can forget about a political career. Hiding what they are surely is a behavior which starts very early in their formative years. Before we pile up the accusations and judgments against McGreevy, perhaps we should consider what percentage of his behavior was inspired by self indulgence, and what was a coping behavior which is still necessary even now, despite the undeniable gains the homosexual community has made in the past couple of decades.
0 Replies