Why is gay marriage such a lightning-rod topic?

Debra Law

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 04:26 pm
Quote:
. . . KERRY REBUFFS ADVICE -- In an effort to help the Democrats win over values voters, former President Clinton apparently urged Democratic nominee John Kerry to back the various marriage amendment ballot initiatives during the presidential campaign, Newsweek is reporting in its Nov. 15 edition. Eleven states voted on amendments banning same-sex "marriage," and all 11 passed.

Kerry listened, but told his staff, "I'm not going to ever do that," Newsweek reports. . . .

Source
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 04:32 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
Lash wrote:
You know, what surprises me is that Clinton--Bill--the guy who doesn't have to worry about re-election campaigns--is for the marriage amendment.

Does anyone know why? I don't take him to be a homophobe.

IMO, he was pandering to the so-called "values" voters because doing so was politically expedient at the time. I suspect, if supporting rather than opposing gay marriage was politically expedient, he would have done so. He probably falls into the "say whatever it takes to get elected" category. What his genuinely-held personal beliefs on the issue may be, I don't know.

But, it was post-Presidency that he affirmed his anti-gay marriage stance.
I thought that would free him to say what he wanted to say.

Not intending a diversion. I just never could figure this.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 04:35 pm
Bill Clinton was always a republican posing as a liberal democrat.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 04:36 pm
Kerry supported a Massachusetts State Amendment to ban gay marriage and supported the ban in other states, as well.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 04:39 pm
I thought I remembered Clinton saying a constitutional ammendment banning gay marriage was a "mistake" but that states should be allowed to decide for themselves.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 04:40 pm
SierraSong wrote:
Kerry supported a Massachusetts State Amendment to ban gay marriage and supported the ban in other states, as well.

And the objection to the war in Vietnam was just a bunch of hippies smoking weed. The US of A won the conflict in Korea and Grenada was necessary to keep the commies out of the Americas. Actually Kerry is/was an asshole, just not as much an asshole as Bush.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 05:01 pm
SierraSong wrote:

This is what I found in Newsweek:

Kerry’s failure to address gay marriage was a fatal mistake:

excerpt:

Quote:
President Clinton, who signed the Defense of Marriage Act when he was in the White House, advised Kerry in a phone call early in the campaign to find a way to support the state bans. Kerry never considered abandoning his principles to that extent, but he also didn’t take seriously enough the threat.

Here's what else I found:

Kerry on the Record: The Gay Marriage Flip-Flop

Quote:
When it comes to the gay marriage issue, Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., finds himself in a delicate balancing act – trying to avoid appearing bigoted while catering to heterosexual and religious voters.

With his own home state of Massachusetts coming up on a court-imposed two and one-half year window (starting May 17) in which gay couples can legally marry, Kerry says that he would support a proposed amendment to the state constitution that would prohibit gay marriage – so long as, while outlawing gay marriage, it also ensured that same-sex couples have access to all legal rights that married couples receive.

A good moderate position that passes the balancing act test, but that is what Kerry says now; what about then – Kerry on the record?

In 1996, a less compromising Kerry gave an impassioned 10-minute speech on the Senate floor against an effort in Congress to define marriage only as a union between a man and a woman:

“This is a power grab into states’ rights of monumental proportions. It is ironic that many of the arguments for this power grab are echoes of the discussion of interracial marriage a generation ago. It is hard to believe that this bill is anything other than a thinly veiled attempt to score political debating points by scapegoating gay and lesbian Americans.”

In the end, Kerry was one of only 14 senators to vote against the Defense of Marriage Act, which denied federal recognition of same-sex marriages and gave states the right to refuse to recognize those married in other states. President Clinton signed it into law.

In 2002, Kerry teamed up with his congressional colleagues, signing a letter opposing Massachusetts’ last effort to outlaw gay marriage. Kerry and company professed that they feared it could be used to prevent communities “from acting as they might wish to provide some form of recognition for same sex relationships.”

The letter, organized by Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., was sent on congressional stationery in July 2002 as the Massachusetts lawmakers first considered a constitutional amendment that limited marriage to “only the union of one man and one woman.”

“We believe it would be a grave error for Massachusetts to enshrine in our constitution a provision which would have such a negative effect on so many of our fellow residents,” Kerry and 11 other members of the state’s congressional delegation wrote.

The Legislature’s 2002 effort failed.

When the Republicans started to make hay with the 2002 letter, Kerry spokesman David Wade countered: “He [Kerry] opposed a proposed constitutional amendment in Massachusetts in the summer of 2002 because a sweeping proposal would have threatened civil unions, health benefits, or inheritance rights for gay couples that represent equal protection under the law.”

In the hierarchy of issues looming in 2004, gay marriage will undoubtedly matter less than the economy and the war in Iraq. However, same-sex marriage is a polarizing issue disturbing to Democrats.

A recent USA Today/CNN/Gallup Poll disclosed that 53 percent of Americans oppose a law allowing gay couples to marry, while 24 percent favor it. Moderate voters, who could swing the election one way or the other, generally oppose gay marriage. While Kerry also opposes it, his support for civil unions and his links with liberal Massachusetts will be cooking in the mix.

John Kerry has accused President George Bush of seeking “the lowest common denominator in American politics” by calling for a constitutional amendment to outlaw same-sex marriage.

But Kerry’s flip-flopping and tap-dancing around the issue has earned him his own share of criticism. Gov. Mitt Romney recently reproved Kerry for what he said were Kerry's confusing positions on gay marriage:

“In the case of the Massachusetts Constitution, he agrees with me that we should have an amendment. On the federal Constitution he doesn't agree with me,” Romney said. “And I think the American people are going to be just as confused as I am as to where he stands.”

Meanwhile, New England’s largest gay-targeted newspaper, In Newsweekly, cited Kerry’s “flip-flops” on the issue of gay marriage in an editorial endorsing his rival, Sen. John Edwards.

0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 05:26 pm
I was just replying to this post of yours:

Debra_Law wrote:
Quote:
. . . KERRY REBUFFS ADVICE -- In an effort to help the Democrats win over values voters, former President Clinton apparently urged Democratic nominee John Kerry to back the various marriage amendment ballot initiatives during the presidential campaign, Newsweek is reporting in its Nov. 15 edition. Eleven states voted on amendments banning same-sex "marriage," and all 11 passed.

Kerry listened, but told his staff, "I'm not going to ever do that," Newsweek reports. . . .

Source

Looks like he lied again. You can call it flip-flopping if it makes you feel better, though.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 05:29 pm
I agree Kerry lied through his teeth, Bush lied and his lies resulted in 2,000 + deaths opf americans and unknow deaths of Iraqii's. Take you pick of which lies are worse.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 05:31 pm
dyslexia wrote:

And John Kerry was always Irish, at least where Irish votes really counted.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 05:33 pm
Miller wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

and catholic. I voted Kuninich.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 06:20 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Miller wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

Dys guts human in 5 words.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:19 pm
Gay marriage ban defeated in Senate

Quote:
WASHINGTON - The Senate on Wednesday rejected a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, dealing a defeat to President Bush and Republicans who hope to use the measure to energize conservative voters on Election Day.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:29 pm
That's heartening.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:34 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Miller wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

Good for you! Razz
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:35 pm
Lash wrote:
That's heartening.

I can't imagine why! :wink: :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 07:47 am
Lash wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:
Lash wrote:
You know, what surprises me is that Clinton--Bill--the guy who doesn't have to worry about re-election campaigns--is for the marriage amendment.

IMO, he was pandering to the so-called "values" voters because doing so was politically expedient at the time. I suspect, if supporting rather than opposing gay marriage was politically expedient, he would have done so. He probably falls into the "say whatever it takes to get elected" category. What his genuinely-held personal beliefs on the issue may be, I don't know.

I would say it is political expedience. But it is not just something he came up with after he left the oval office--read about the Defense of Marriage Act.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 11:57 am
I had known about him facing the issue in office, and understood his motivation. I guess I really thought he was gay friendly, and would "have a change of heart" after leaving office, when it no longer mattered. But, thank you anyway.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:27 pm
Setanta wrote:
Lash wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:
Lash wrote:

I would say it is political expedience. But it is not just something he came up with after he left the oval office--read about the Defense of Marriage Act.

From the linked article:

In a June 1996 interview in the gay and lesbian magazine The Advocate, Clinton said: " I remain opposed to same-sex marriage. I believe marriage is an institution for the union of a man and a woman. This has been my long-standing position, and it is not being reviewed or reconsidered."

Clinton is a POLITICIAN. His goal is to get himself or members of his party or his wife elected to office by taking a position on issues that panders to the electorate.

Gore, on the other hand, describes himself as a "recovering politician." Here's a insightful essay written by a 17-year-old high school student imploring Gore not to relapse because America doesn't need any more politicians--America needs a LEADER:

Dear Al Gore: Please Don't Relapse
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:32 pm
Lash wrote:
I had known about him facing the issue in office, and understood his motivation. I guess I really thought he was gay friendly, and would "have a change of heart" after leaving office, when it no longer mattered. But, thank you anyway.

Clinton might have left office, but he's still a politician. The position he takes on this issue does indeed matter to his party--and to his wife (a presidential hopeful).
0 Replies