'Extreme Makeover'

LibertyD

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 09:21 pm
Hi Karen, and welcome. Glad to hear that the experience was good for you.
0 Replies

Karen Richardson

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 09:38 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Welcome to Able2Know Karen. I must say that it's odd to see people discuss someone on TV and have them show up. Didya find this topic on google?

Yes...it was the google that found this.
0 Replies

Karen Richardson

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 09:41 am
Misti26 wrote:
Karen, welcome to A2K, and congratulations on your courage. Way to go!

The trip to LA was the first time I had ever been west of the Arkansas state line! It was a difficult decision to make, seven weeks away from home, not knowing a soul. But Sandy and I became fast friends. Her friendship made the seven weeks just fly by. We talk at least weekly; she is one of the nicest people I've ever met.

Karen
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 09:48 am
Karen, I didn't see your show but out of curiosity looked up photos online. Wow! What a change!

I have a question for you: In the only show I watched (like I said above) one of the women getting the make-over said that some of her friends were jealous and treated her differently afterwards. Have you had this problem? (hope not)

Also, has your new look affected the way that you interact with people -- has it given you greater confidence?
0 Replies

Karen Richardson

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 06:25 pm
I am lucky. Friends, family and co-workers have been so supportive. Believe me, if I stepped out of line or got the big head, I have folks that would straighten me out in a heart beat. I have had people say, "You haven't changed a bit." That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

As far as interaction with people goes, the new look has made a difference. Before the surgery, I was often told I looked "mean" or was asked if I were mad or upset. I don't get that anymore.

I do have a new level of confidence. Meeting people for the first time is much easier. Now, I will initiate a conversation, something I wouldn't do before.

The strangest thing is this: in my line of work (ER nurse) I deal with children daily. Children (especially pre-schoolers) have never taken to me; now, it's totally different. The only thing that has changed is how I look.

Thanks for all the positive comments.

Karen
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 06:32 pm
Karen, if I may ask, would you have been able to afford all of this on your own, i.e. if a TV show hadn't swooped down and offered it? If not, how would you have felt, watching the transformation? What I mean is if you saw someone who looked just like you did, who had all of that work done and was given all of those jewels, etc., etc., and then you were faced with a savings of $2,000 and no real way to come up with more... how would you feel? What would or wouldn't you do?

Just curious.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 06:35 pm
Oh and that's interesting about how children take to you now... I think there was some study fairly recently that showed how babies and children do react more positively to beauty.

I'm glad you're happy!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 06:44 pm
There was, and the study referenced symmetry as the criteria for beauty.

The children were shown photographs and reacted well to the 'beautiful'.

It was touted as evidence of there being an instinctual criteria to beauty in addition to the ones that are learned. They settled on symmetry.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 06:48 pm
Right, and they thought that had to do with why elite athletes tend to be beautiful, too -- not just the toned-ness, but that their general symmetry contributes to their athletic skills.
0 Replies

Karen Richardson

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 06:59 pm
I read the results of the study, too, and can vouch for the accuracy of the findings. Even my great-neice acts differently toward me. It's amazing, really.

In answer to the finance question. . . I would never have been able to afford such a luxury. I have two sons in college, and am completing a bachelor's degree, too.

Karen
0 Replies

Karen Richardson

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 07:06 pm
Sorry Sozobe, I didn't completely answer your question.

I applied after watching the special, where the first three makeovers were done. Had I never received a call-back, I would have gone right on with life as I know it. I've always been a happy person; I just wanted to look nice on my wedding day. As simple as it sounds, it is the truth.

On our wedding night, I told Blake, "Now you know I turn back into my old self at midnight." He just laughed. The most wonderful thing is that it wouldn't have mattered. He planned to marry me anyway. Now, he says, "It's like Christmas every day."

Karen
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 07:09 pm
Thanks for answering, Karen.

I'm not sure what I think. For example, I love "Trading Spaces", and would not say that it was bad because the audience is made up of people who could never afford the services of those designers. So it is probably hypocritical of me to decry a TV show for doing a similar thing with plastic surgery.

Hmm. Complicated.

By the way, your "before" picture reminds me of a very dear friend of mine... the eyes, especially.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 07:10 pm
Oh, missed your second post, Karen. That's great. Smile I haven't seen any pictures of Blake, so I don't know what he looks like. Has there been any element of insecurity on his part -- "now that she's such a babe, she could do better than me"?

(Forgive me if any of my questions are too intrusive -- very interesting to speak to you.)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 07:16 pm
I've never watched the show (or even heard of it outside of this thread) but it is indeed interesting.

<must suppress joke about soz>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 07:17 pm
<evil, evil glare>
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 07:34 pm
Evil glares aside.....

Welcome, Ms. Karen ~ and congratulations on the nuptials! I wish you both nothing but the best. (And hope that you'll continue to be a member of A2K!)

The reason I posted the topic at all is because of my distaste at the houses for glamourising everything that is out of reach to the general public.

Not a whole lot I can say that will change the way the media operates, but just like everyone else, I can change the channel and choose not to read the printed version.
0 Replies

Karen Richardson

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 06:27 pm
The "general public" has been very supportive since I am one of the general public. It is the glamour magazines and newpaper columnists that have trashed the participants. For the most part, those beautiful women on the cover of the magazines didn't get that way thanks to genetics alone.

I realize everyone has an opinion. And it is my opinion that I like my new nose very, very much.

And Blake........is a handsome man, without surgical assisantance. He is my age, prematurely gray, smart and funny. Blake has in no way felt threatened; he knows I love him. I wouldn't have done the EM thing without his complete support. I am lucky on many fronts.

Karen
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 07:32 pm
Yep, everyone has their own opinion.

Best wishes to you.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 08:29 pm
Hey, Gen's back!
0 Replies

Sweet September

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 11:04 am
Hi Karen

I'm from Malaysia. :wink:

Episode 4 of Extreme Makeover was shown here last saturday. Wow, the transformation was really successful! U look stunning! And here, I'd like to wish you and your husband a happy marriage.

Oh, the necklace you wore on your wedding day. It was lovely. May I ask where is it from? Very Happy
0 Replies