'Extreme Makeover'

Rae

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 09:09 pm
Ya'll know that I don't watch too much television, but I got home early from work today and turned on 'Oprah', who was show-casing a few participants of the show 'Extreme Makeover'.

The show was on tonight and I watched it.

I was reminded, over and over again, of the turmoil I went through as a teenager ~ wishing that I looked differently.....and ended up being pissed off at the program.

I'm happy that these people are getting their 'wish', but there are still tons of people (male and female) who are being influenced by the participants 'dream come true'.....

I realise that the show is out there for ratings, but worry about what kind of message it's sending to our already self-conscious public.

Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,891 • Replies: 39
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 09:42 pm
I haven't seen this, but I saw a few "A Personal Story" shows on TLC, and was rather gaggy. A couple of them were uplifting -- scars from accidents being reduced, that kind of thing. But there were others that were just BLECH. One I can think of was a woman who was definitely overweight, and had a gastric bypass (?) (lost a lot of weight in a drastic manner), and had plastic surgery to get rid of the, er, flaps. The thing that I noticed beyond all else was that in her before pictures she was overweight, yes, but within somewhat reasonable bounds, with a head full of lustrous black hair. After, she looked wan and awkward and had a very wide part in her hair -- like 1-2 inches. She was losing hair from malnutrition.

Just sad.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 09:43 pm
Rae, I saw a bit of that this evening, as well. It makes me wonder what women's relationships with each other will be in the near future. There will be the women who do the extreme makeovers and then the rest of us (well, assuming that I don't fall into the peer pressure:) ) who want to age naturally. I only caught one sentence this evening, actually, and it had something to do with these makeover-wonders friends being jealous of their new found perfection. So what I think is that the adolescent competition that all of us are so relieved to be rid of as we become adults will now be continued into old age. God forbid.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 09:50 pm
This was one of many reasons I hated living in L.A. Before then, without really thinking about it, I was used to being a headturner. Especially in Minnesota, full of natural blondes, where dark hair and olive tone skin branded me "exotic". Rolling Eyes

NOT so in L.A. I refused to cave, and made it through the whole 3 years without doing so, but hated how I had to THINK about it. Should I pluck my eyebrows? Am I really thin enough to wear this miniskirt? How is the muscle definition in my calves?

I hated the once-over I got from professional colleagues, their relieved compliments when I wore the right kind of high heeled shoes and suit. I did grow to like the clothes, I admit, but I drew the line at the whole pancake makeup and hairspray thing.

I saw so many perfectly attractive to very attractive women who felt like crap about themselves in L.A. because of the culture of appearances.

Was SOOOOOOOOOO nice to come back to the Midwest and get away from that kind of ridiculousness.
0 Replies

Gen

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 09:57 pm
I'm heavy set. If I lost weight I too would requre the surgery to remove "excess skin." When I was a kid, i had a 2 ton Hay trailer fall on my foot and it damned near took my foot off. So a lot of sports, games even bike riding and running were off limits to be for years, just waiting for it heal up.

On top of that I have a slow metabolism. So I don't burn a lot of calories in my resting state.

I don't think I would ever have a Gastric Bypass done. That is just horid!
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 10:02 pm
Yeah, I know what you mean Sozobe! You sound like my kind of girl! Smile I've also heard so-called well-meaning hints like "You're such a pretty girl! You'd be a real knockout if you put a little more color on your face." Or, especially down here in near-southern belle land, "If you wore a little more color it would make you look REALLY good!" (I'm one of those girls who likes black -- it goes with everything, right?)

Don't you just love not worrying about that stuff? It's so much more relaxing.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 10:17 pm
Rae
What the heck you talk'n bout???? You holding back on me?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 07:59 am
Hey, Rae.

I saw something in passing about a woman who had an extreme makeover for her wedding. Nothing wrong with that, I guess, because every girl wants to look lovely on her wedding day.

There is a very fine line between how one appears and what one really is, however. so it must be up to the individual.

My mother once told me that she was always self conscious about her long legs but found out that my Dad luved long legs.. Smile

Along the same line, I wonder how many women dress for other women's approval, or the approval of men?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 08:04 am
She looked pretty good after her make-over. I heard when they put that fat in the face it eventually goes away (absorbs in), so that confuses me. Or is that a different procedure? I like the follow-up when they go see the folks that already had a make-over to see how they're doing.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 08:46 am
I loved the show!

I enjoyed watching the changes and the emotional stuff and although I know they were real, it seemed like kind of like fantasy to me.

I would be an excellent candidate for an extreme makeover except for the fact I am very squeamish about my own blood and would run screaming from the building at the first sight of a syringe ... although I was envious of the lasik surgery!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:45 am
The other day, I got me a new tight shirt. I'm one FINE PIECE!

As I snap my fingers four times in a "Z formation."
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 06:06 pm
LibertyD ~ I remember that 'jealousy' comment and was confused by it. Why would your friends be jealous?

Heeven ~ 'fantasy' is exactly the point I was trying to make. As entertainment, I guess the show was alright, but why do we have to have it constantly shoved in our faces that we can be prettier, more handsome, more attractive.....better than we already are?

husker ~ nope, not holding back on anything. I'm a happy girl now, but as a teenager/young adult, I had huge issues with self-esteem, self-confidence and pressure (albeit, self-induced) from television, movies, magazines, etc.

Gen ~ I've battled weight all my life ~ still do. I broke an ankle when I was twelve and for some reason, the cast was taken off after only twelve days and I've had nothing but problems since. Running is impossible for me ~ I have enough trouble walking! (My coworkers have threatened to pad all the walls at work because I have a tendency to reach out for support while I walk.) Eating like a bird is the only thing that works for me.

Letty ~ I suppose you're right. A wedding day is important and of course you want to look your best.

Again.....I know the show is on the air for ratings, but my concern is the message it's sending.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 06:07 pm
Slappy, you're gawgeous!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 06:10 pm
Rae, honey. Slappy is unique. Pay no attention to him. Smile

Oh, yes. We are all stereotyped.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 06:15 pm
:wink:
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 08:20 pm
All things in moderation, including moderation!

You're all beautiful, I wouldn't change a thing, it would be just gilding the lily!
0 Replies

Karen Richardson

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 04:22 pm
Extreme Makeover Episode #4
Hello to each of you.

I feel truly blessed to have been chosen to be a part of this TV show. I was treated with the best of medical care and with respect by every member of the staff from producer to camera man. Such an experience can only be described as "a once in a life-time chance" which I took, not fully knowing what to expect, but would do all over again tomorrow.

I don't need to be psychoanalyized. I'm probably one of the most grounded people you'd ever meet. I just didn't like what I saw when I looked in the mirror. Did that stop me from doing anything I ever wanted to do? No. Plain girls have lives, too, and a personality goes a long, long way.

Do I look in the mirror and say, "Well ain't I all that?" No. I look in the mirror and am pleased to see the same woman I've seen for years, less a big nose, a few wrinkles, and gray hair. I'm the same as I've always been.

Karen Richardson
The Bride from Extreme Makeover
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 08:34 pm
Welcome to Able2Know Karen. I must say that it's odd to see people discuss someone on TV and have them show up. Didya find this topic on google?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 08:45 pm
It's odd but interesting. Welcome, and thanks for sharing your perspective.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 08:50 pm
Karen, welcome to A2K, and congratulations on your courage. Way to go!
0 Replies