Should a child of two be weighed?

smorgs

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 12:33 pm
My friend has a 2 year old Grand-daughter. She visits her other Grandmother most weekends. My friend recently found out that she weighs her granddaughter on every visit.

Needless to say, the other grandmother is a very slim lady who watches her weight constantly, and frequently makes comments about other family members weight.

My friend thinks her weigh-ins are outrageous! I tend to agree with her.

My friend (Julia) would like to know if you have any suggestions as to how she might broach the subject with the other Nana?

...and what do you think of her weighing a two year old?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 734 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 12:58 pm
What do the mom and dad say about skinny grandma's weekly weighings of their two-year-old child?

Obviously, your friend should express her concerns to the child's parents. The focus of this child's early learning and indoctrination with respect to her own body image should not be on body weight. Unfortunately, skinny grandma is teaching the child--essentially from the cradle--that her weight is the measure of her worth. Skinny grandma may be causing psychological damage to the child that will have harmful effects on this girl for the rest of her life.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 02:07 pm
This is weird.

There are many scenarios that could fall into the bare outline you describe, ranging from mildly annoying to totally psycho. Shocked What does the grandma DO after she weighs the child? What's the context?

I definitely agree that the approaching should be done with the parents of the child and not the other Nana, unless the parents are at a loss and would appreciate the help.

There is a lot of literature (scientific studies and such) that could be brought to bear on convincing whomever needs to be convinced that the weighing is not a good idea. But again that depends so much on context, further information about how it takes place and what is done with the info about weight, to know how to best approach it.

If the child is only two, one can be fairly confident that no lasting damage has been done, and there will likely not be any particular effects if it's stopped soon.

And hopefully it'll stop soon!

Happy to provide more ammo-type info once more context is provided (if it's known/ if Julia is comfortable providing it).
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 02:10 pm
Tell the child, to jump up and down, when she's on the scale. This will drive grandma nuts and she might just stop this total nonsense.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 02:20 pm
Obviously there is a great deal of information that I don't have--but that never stops me from having firm opinions.

Julia should not talk to Nana. Julia is the mother of a parent and a grandmother of a two-year-old. It is not her job to broach sensitive topics with her child's in laws.

What does Julia's son/daughter say?

Does Julia feel jealous that her grandbaby is visiting the other side of the family most weekends?

The weigh-ins aren't necessarily about body image. Back in the '50's baby scales were suggested as a gift for the well equipped home nursery.
Do either of the baby's parents carry extra poundage?

For all we know the two-year-old likes to climb up on the scale and watch the numbers go round.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 02:22 pm
Good one, Miller.

Sounds like the start of some weight issues that may or may not escalate into obsession but grandma should be put in check right away before the child gets older and "understands" what being judged means.

But not by the other Grandma. She's out of bounds and spoiling for a brawl with that move.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 08:38 pm
Hmm. It sounds kind of weird to do (like when you are fattening up an animal you want to eat). Smile Hard to make a call on whether it is harmful or not without more info. Maybe weighing-grandma is keeping a very detailed journal of the baby or something?

I agree that it is something the parents should be left to deal with, unless they have specifically asked for help.

How did she find out about these weekly weigh-ins? Does her daughter fill her in on all the goings-on at the other granny's? Could it be possible that the daughter is mostly blowing off some steam: like, from having to bear with other-granny's different approach to handling her child?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 08:57 pm
Good point, flushd, it could be that Julia's offspring (not sure if it's the child's mom or dad) is exaggerating for effect.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 02:04 pm
Just wanted to say a big thank you for all the replies, I have passed them on to Julia, and recommended that she join A2K herself as she's always asking me to put questions to the venerable members!

Thanks again

Sarah
x
0 Replies