Missing breaks.

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 09:13 am
Every now and again all my colleagues are out of the office meaning there is nobody to cover me fro lunch which means sometimes im here for 9 hours with no break/sometimes no food.

Sometimes they get back and let me go early but is there any way I can get the missed 'snowballed' lunch hours and take the time off in the future?
Im missing out on alot of breaks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,543 • Replies: 16
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 09:19 am
Just keep a record dates times what actoins you undertook during your missed lunch break. Could be handy when it come time to negotiate your next workplace agreement.

Sometimes we think these things go unnoticed but often they are appreciated.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 09:20 am
What do you mean what actions I took during my lunch break?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 09:20 am
I suggest you need to find a site about labor law in England. It could mean trouble for you, so it depends on how far you want to push it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 09:22 am
You might find some help here.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 09:26 am
I dont know what you do in your job mg but say served 4 customers filed 50 documents produced a powerpoint presentation, sold x dollars worth of product. .

What ever you did that contributed to the productivity of the company you work for, translating it into dollars might be beneficial as well.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 09:31 am
I have to admit I do very little as the job isnt exactly demanding.
People may say 'what are you complaining about then?'Well, 9 hours of doing very little with little or no food is incredibly draining/tiring.
Yes I know I should get another job but while Im here I just wondered how I should handle the missed lunch hours.
Ive only been allowed to leave for lunch the last 2 years, Ive been here 4 years.I had a mini melt down so they finally let me have a lunch break!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 05:43 pm
so if you do very little why cant you eat a sandwich (or something). I understand the bordom thing, been there done that. Is there a possibilty to ask for more work? what could you possibly do?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:51 am
If I had been told Id not get a break then I could arrange food but if Im not told then Im sat here like a lemon with no food.
I have asked for more work but there isnt enough to go round.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 05:40 am
it is actually illegal in the UK for you not to have at least a half hour break - even if you wanted to work straight through.

You need to talk to a manager about this.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 06:43 am
It's not only illegal in the UK - breaks belong to the (minimal) requirments given by EU-law - "a rest break where the working day is longer than six hours":
Organisation of working time (basic Directive).

I'm rather sure, tariifs regulate that quite better in the UK - as is done in Germany.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 06:48 am
My job doesn't have set breaks. There's many times I've had lunch at 3 pm after starting at 6am and spending a lot of the intervening period walking up and down hundreds of steps while carrying 20 pounds of tools!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 06:55 am
I don't know about the UK, but in Canada the employer must provide a ½ hour lunch break after 5 hours of work. Other breaks are discretionary.

Knowing your situation, why don't you at least take a lunch to eat while you are there?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 07:10 am
The Fair Labor Standards Act mandates a break of not less than twenty minutes no sooner than three and one half hours, and no later than five and one half hours, after the beginning of a shift. That's the United States, of course, but i suggest that there will be similar labor law in the UK. You just need to find the relevant statute. Walter and I have provided links to resources--you need to do the work from there.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 05:54 am
Once again my collegues have gone out half an hour pre my lunch break.Not a word was said, no apology, no recognition.
Ive just emailed a legal place just asking their advice re taking the lost hours another day.

My colleagues are nice people but sometimes their time management amazes me!They may be back at 4pm and let me go early but thats not quite the same asbeing at work 8 hours with no break/food.
I brought some crisps in today, just incase.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 10:28 am
Are you the receptionist - answering phones and greeting walk-ins/visitors? They don't let you leave the front desk to take any breaks at all? What happens when you need to go to the bathroom?

You need to re-negotiate your duties and workplace requirements with these people. It is not acceptable for them to expect you to work 8-9 hours without any breaks whatsoever. Write up a plan and present it to your manager, after checking with the Department of Labour to find out where you stand legally as an employee.

Document should be laid out something like ....

Employee entitled to :

One bathroom/coffee/water break during period 8am to 12 noon.
[Alternative employee to man front desk during this period or office door will be locked and front desk unmanned / calls unanswered for the period].

Lunch break - employee make take half/full hour lunch-break during the period 1pm-2pm.
[Alternative employee to man front desk during this period or office door will be locked and front desk unmanned / calls unanswered for the period].

One bathroom/coffee/water break during period 2pm to 5:30pm.

You have to start standing up for yourself. I can't believe you got no lunchbreak for two years. It doesn't matter how hard or easy a job is or how much work you have to do. If you cannot step away and take time to eat, drink and go to the bathroom, that is totally unreasonable.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 01:25 pm
Heeven wrote:
It is not acceptable for them to expect you to work 8-9 hours without any breaks whatsoever. Write up a plan and present it to your manager, after checking with the Department of Labour to find out where you stand legally as an employee.

Those links above are official - it's against the law.
0 Replies