oreos illegal?

Sugar

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 10:04 am
I understand that trans fat is bad for you. Please know that anything containing hydrogenated vegetable oil contains trans fat. Meaning, the majority of pastries, fried foods, chips, baby foods, peanut butter.....dairy and meat products also have trans fat in them. Hydrogenated vegetable oil adds a 'fat' texture to foods (most of your 'fat-free' food products use this for thickening) and increases shelf-life and stability.

Oreos is just one example, and I think it's ridiculous to single them out. Fast food contains much higher levels, so for Joseph to say 'trans fat is not the same thing at all' when compared to McDonald's, well, he has no freaking clue what he's talking about. Not only is it 'the same thing', it's 100 times worse.

Trans fat isn't good for you, and the labels should note how much is in a given product. So, instead of a lawsuit by some hack maybe the court should just force a general labeling issue and keep Nabisco out of it. However, they're practically impossible to avoid and your not going to keel over from consuming foods with some level of them in it. Otherwise, we'd all be having heart attacks right now.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 10:47 am
if this lawsuit gets the attention of a few people, who become more aware of trans-fat as a result, and who therefore stop buying products containing trans-fat, i'd encourage the lawyer to pursue this.

informed choice. it's a good thing. (sorry cousin martha)

go ahead, NH, have another Oreo. it's your body.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 10:47 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
If it were up to these guys, we'd all be growing our own stuff, and fertilize it with horse manure. Just like the 19th century. Hmmm, maybe that is what these "do-gooders" REALLY want!

If the "do-gooders" are lawyers, then they want very fat fees they may get if they represent the plaintiffs of the class action against fatty food manufacturers.
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 10:31 pm
<munching on good, old fashined Oreos and washing them down with a glass of whole milk>

<reading article>

<calling lawyer>

Gimme a freakin' break! Yes, an informed choice is an informed choice, but a nuisance lawsuit does nobody any good in the end.

<stocking up on oreos just in case this jackass wins this stupid lawsuit>
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 11:31 pm
Ya know, you can buy a couple different brands of oreo knock-offs at health food store that don't have hydrogenated fat in them. I'll have to go buy a box to check and see if they have trans fats.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 11:36 pm
I think there should be a junk food tax.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 11:45 pm
good idea - that'll help pay for all the future suits....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 11:49 pm
Not my motivation through, I just miss living in a place where healthy food is more convenient and cheaper than junk food (in Brazil it's almost as easy to get a freshly squeezed glass of orange juice as it is to get a coke).
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 12:02 am
I'm opposed to "double-stuffed" taxation.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 12:03 am
In effect in Oz, there is!

GST was NOT applied to fresh food-stuffs - but was to processed ones.

(This in response to Craven's "junk-food tax" comment, BTW.)
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 12:49 am
It's a jungle out there.
Lions and tigers and lawyers and trans fat, oh my!
What will we do? What WILL we do? Let's complain.

Tigers should be outlawed because they roar.
Monkeys should be outlawed because they chatter.
Mosquito's should be taken away.
I need a sterile environment to be happy. So let's complain.

Now wait here, wait a second.
The tiger is beautiful if you know how to stay out of the way.
The monkey is funny and mosquito's, well,
if I learn about the world, maybe lawyers do something after all. Somehow.

So I need to learn. I need the information and the knowledge
to take charge of my own inexperience, incompetence or skill,
to step aside whichever danger I choose.
You know, like Tarzan.

Will I go to the library every time a new food comes out,
to research, understand, and decide?
No, the only practical real way for me to live in the jungle
is to put an FDA content label on every lion, spider and apple.
Just for now, for a while, because the animals keep
changing so fast I can never keep up!

GMO, genetically modified organism.
Irradiated food. Bovine growth hormone.
Caffeine, nicotine, sugar, wheat allergies.
Those synthetic designer drugs and loophole additives.
DuPont and Monsanto are making a killing
so I need to know their footsteps, their scent, their roar.

Corporate evolution is in high gear, raging through the jungle,
so I need faster and faster labels. More and more information,
just to survive. That's my job. I'm Tarzan. I will figure it out.

But this is also a village.
When anyone sees something bad that others do not know,
could we just put up some signs? Just as a civilized courtesy?

The skull of a cattle will do, with chemical ingredients scratched onto it. That's all I need.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 04:22 am
Hate to break it to everyone, but it ain't just the junk food products. Most restaurants, unless they are high end, use partially hydrogenated oil for all their frying. Be especially suspicious of any restaurant proudly declaring: "We only use pure Canola oil." Chances are it is hydrogenated. Now leave me to my butter....that won't kill me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 04:40 am
I welcome this lawsuit because it makes folks suddenly aware of trans fats: Instead of blissfully poisoning their children, they at least now know there is a problem. Children allowed to eat this sort of stuff grow up too weak to resist it and they give it to their children. The lawsuit does not cover all such products, but, it is a start in the right direction.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 04:51 am
I think the guy is very clever. For just a filing fee of about $10 he's getting all this free advertising while educating the consumers to a very important nutritional issue. It doesn't turn into a nusance lawsuit until he goes forward with the action.

In the meantime, the feeding frenzy done by the reporters who camp out at courthouses waiting to pounce on the next titilating filing is very entertaining to watch.

Nabisco gets caught with their fatty pants down and has to find a more healthy way to cheapen the cost of making oreos. Similar messages are aimed at other food producers and in a few months we have a new product trend to advertise. Non-trans fatty/healthy choice cookies!

Manipulating the media with sensational issues in a court filing is one of the last remaining ways in America that an individual can fight big business and politics without an arsenal of wealthy PACs.

Quite a bang for the 10 bucks I say.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 05:13 am
Wow Craven, fresh-squeezed OJ and lots of anal sex...no wonder you miss Brazil Wink

The trans-fatty acid/hydrogenated oil scare has been in the news for some time. If people are too lazy to read the news, or research the products they are buying, too bad. If this suit brings more attention to the dangers of trans-fatty acids, fine, but I still think it is frivolous, and as the information is already well-publicized, I doubt they will be successful in sueing. Also, even though the evidence is very strong regarding the health risks with hydrogenated oils, legally, it is still "theory", as it is too new a product to have gone through "sufficient testing."
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 05:13 am
Butrflynet- Well, looking at the situation from your point of view, I would have to say that it is not a bad thing. I would have preferred that the man who filed the suit would have simply gotten an investigative reporter on Nabisco's "case", but I suppose that there is more than one way to skin a cat!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 05:23 am
When advertising makes a harmful product look benign, folks generally go the easy route instead of investigating. Tobacco is a perfect example of this. Lawsuits give that jolt other methods are lacking.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 05:38 am
cavfancier wrote:
Wow Craven, fresh-squeezed OJ and lots of anal sex...no wonder you miss Brazil Wink

Gasp!!!

I am SURE he only loved Brazil for the articles!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 06:27 am
Slightly off topic, but addressing frivolous lawsuits: A police officer, told by a person he was fat, sued. The judge awarded him about $166. "Cops have feelings, too," the officer was quoted as saying.

I heard this on the local (Houston) news as I was leaving for work this am.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 06:30 am
After Oreos, what will be attacked next?
0 Replies