oreos illegal?

bobsmyth

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 10:31 am
Know what you mean Cicerone. I learned so much from my mother about what it takes to get through life. She displayed such amazing courage in raising 9 children in what was the most densely populated city in the U. S. then. Not a bad one in the bunch. I was the best of course.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 11:21 am
bobsmyth, Unlike you, I was the "black sheep" of our family, but managed to eek out a pretty good living. Wink Congrats on your successes. c.i.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 11:32 am
Thaks and praise to you. I think you did well. Now that we've patted each other on the back. The hundreds of stories of being poor could easily be stretched to thousands. Unfortunately that would be an odious chore for our dear readers. Suffice it to just harken back for a moment I remember going to school with pieces of cardboard in my shoes because shoes couldn't be afforded yet. Amazing the things you think of that seemed normal to you then.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 01:07 pm
bobsmyth, We've must've lived in the same neighborhood; we also put cardboard in our Gallen Kamp shoes. LOL To think that I worked in management for Florsheim Shoe Company during my career speaks to the opportunities afforded us in this country. c.i.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 02:50 pm
Nope. Not the same neighborhood. Somerville, Ma. 02143. In the 1950's the population was 102,000 people in 4 square miles densest population in the U. S. Some unkindly people said I was the densest of the lot.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 04:21 pm
You couldn't have done so bad if you're now surviving in Boston. Smile c.i.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 04:32 pm
I'll tell you a funny story. I lived on Madeira for 2 years. When I first arrived I was waiting for my wife with some of her coworkers at a convenient bar. They were mostly British. There was a Britsh tourist newlly there and he was trying to place them in a properly ordered niche in society. I found later this was usual with a lot of them and they didn't seem comfortable until they were assured of where you belonged in their hierarchy.
Anyway when he found I was American it meant more work to ascertain this information. He started with location. When he had that to chew on he immediately exclaimed what a horrible place Boston was. I asked why. He announced he knew all about Boston and the amount of murders that took place there. I (calmly) told him I had lived there for 50 years and had never been murdered.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 06:49 pm
Terry - thanks for that link!
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:01 pm
bob--You're a better person than I. I probably would've clocked the guy. Don't be dissin' Boston around me!

k--No prob....I thought it was interesting.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 11:19 pm
bob, That's not really surprising to hear. The majority in this world fears terrorists so much, they've stopped living their lives. Nine-eleven reduced the travel industry by 75 percent. Heck, more people are killed every year driving their cars in their home town. c.i.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 11:25 pm
I know what you mean. There's so much fear in people it's hard to imagine how happiness can be a part of it. Luckilt that doesn't include you and me. Right? Right?
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 11:27 pm
Oops! You probably realize luckilt is luckily. That's what happens when you have the beer before the posting rather than after.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 09:31 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7927&highlight=

Hiya - since Bob's both here and there (the link to the thread you started above) I thought it ok to make this point here:

Why is it all good and well for the government to take action in regulating a tediously annoying, but personaly harmless thing like spam, while at the same time they don't actively legislate labeling, education, etc about trans-fats? Why did some guy in Cali have to sue to ban oreos from the shelf, before the government, who knows that trans-fats are bad, did something about it?

I know it maybe be like comparing apples and oranges,
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 09:34 am
The answer I think it's safe to assume is they don't scatch until they have an itch. That's us of course and the more the better.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 09:35 am
So, some group lobbied to have spam dealt with?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 09:36 am
Personally, I feel we are a nation that lives in constant fear. I can't help thinking that the government and the multi-nationals want us to be slaves to them in one way or another. I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but the only way to break the cyvle of fear is to educate yourself. I grudgingly accept that this lawyer did a good thing by bringing the trans-fat issue to a lot of people's attention, but I do hope that now people will educate themselves, rather than live in a constant state of anxiety over something as stupid as an Oreo.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 09:37 am
Cav, a constant state of anxiety over oreos?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 10:04 am
Come on, people! Let's be 'rational' about our eating habits. How many of us read every package of food stuff we buy? How much more dangerous is trans-fat compared to everything else we eat? How about beef, eggs, bacon, fish, lamb, pork and beans, butter, candy, Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable soup, reduced fat Cheddar Cheese crackers, Caffe D'Amore's Frappe Coffee Mix, and Hershey's kisses? Do you know what ingredients are in each that are bad for you? Which food product listed above has trans-fat? Do you really care enough to eliminate all the foodstuff that includes trans-fat or other unhealthy foods? BTW, are you going to jump in your car today to drive someplace? Better watch out! It's been determined that that's pretty dangerous. c.i.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 10:05 am
Cic, I do read the packages.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 10:31 am
littlek, I'll bet dollars to donuts that you are the exception. If you read all the packages, do you still eat bacon and eggs, beef, butter, fish, lamb, and drink milk? c.i.
0 Replies