oreos illegal?

littlek

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 10:56 am
Cic, I agree that I am unique in this. I think that the suit will make more people read more labels. I will eat what ever I feel like eating, but I make the choices with as much knowledge as I can get. I'm not saying that no one should eat those things you list. I just wish the details of their good and bad components were more obvious and readily available.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 11:01 am
And, actually, I don't choose to drink milk, eat beef, beacon, lamb, etc. I do choose eat eggs, fish, butter, etc.

We are seemingly arguing two sides of the debate for the same ultimate goal. I think we all agree that it's the consumers' choice about whether they want to eat such-and-such a food. I just think that the more info each consumer has the better. Of course they should self-educate, god knows I did. I didn't have an option. I started reading very controversial essays on nutrition years ago. Before the many things became mainstream knowledge, they were way-out theories with no real science backing them up. The science came, the therories became fact, then back to theory, then back to fact... whatever. I Think that each person should have all the knowledge they can muster about everything in the world. If it takes a suit to gain some knowledge about something that affects one's health. then so be it.

And, I think we all just keep bashing heads and splitting hairs. I don't really feel like repeating myself any more.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 11:02 am
littlek, just trying to make a point about the media pushing scare tactics on the public...sure, trans fats are an issue that needs attention, but I don't feel that there is a need for people to panic, or ban trans fat foods. Everything in moderation, everyone will be just fine. Also, as you stated, read the labels, it's 3 seconds out of a persons day, and all are better off for it.

Just read your new post...I think you're right. Labelling is important, and 'hydrogenated' is not a term most people understand, however, perhaps this case will make people more aware, and they can read a label properly.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 11:02 am
I think that trans fats foods will never be banned and that with media attention they won't have to be.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 11:42 am
Here's one more case in point: Many dieticians tell us to avoid white rice. As a Asian, I'm not going to follow that rule, nor believe it's dangerous or bad to eat white rice. Japan has, or had, one of the longest longivities of any developed countries. Do you know what their staple food is? You guessed it, it's white rice. c.i.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 02:16 pm
Cic, why do you keep misunderstanding my point? Or are you speaking to someone else?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 02:22 pm
littlek, Don't feel offended; just talking in 'general' terms about eating habits and health. c.i.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 02:26 pm
I'm not really feeling offended, I'm feeling frustrated.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 02:31 pm
Most dietary 'advisements' are based on pure conjecture at this time. This is still a very new science, and at this point, there is no reason at all to ban anything. Just look at labels and eat smart. If I ate nothing but Oreos, I would probaly die from malnutrition before I succumbed to heart disease. Same if I ate nothing but white rice. Keep your diet balanced, you'll be fine. Control what your kids eat, but don't deny them treats in moderation. Death is death, folks, and it isn't worth worrying about it. How you live is far more important.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 02:59 pm
cav, That's the right ticket for our lives; keep a balanced diet. c.i.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 05:41 pm
Makers of Oreos announces plans to make their "food" healthier. I guess the knucklehead got a little action, eh, folks?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:56 pm
Hey, where are the folks who called the lawyer names for suggesting Oreos ought to be changed? It may soon happen, according to the company making them. Kraft, I think it is, said they will seek to make all their foods more healthy. Of course, the proof is in the doing and not just the saying.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 09:03 pm
whoever makes Velveeta should be hung (Kraft?)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 09:26 pm
I don't know, dys. I never had the nerve to put any in my mouth. In the 60s I once worked in Schraft's food plant in Manhattan. Part of my job was to grind up the Velveeta. Whenever I'd unwrap these big blocks of it my wrists would break out in a rash. I'd as soon try a spoonful of gopher pellets.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 10:58 pm
When we were kids, and we didn't understand any of this "health food" kick stuff, our mom used to buy Velveeta, so we all ate it. Haven't eaten that stuff since I left home at 17. c.i.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 10:06 am
I saw that news about Kraft in the paper this morning. Definitely made me smile to think that they may take action.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 10:08 am
Hey, darlin', dincha tell me that Canajuns eat more Kraft dinners per capita than anyone else ? So, like, Kraft will never go out of business so long as there are thrift conscious moms in the Great White North, huh ?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 10:25 am
Forget about thrift. It's all about the 'real cheddar'. You know canajuns are cheddar freaks.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 11:29 am
Ahem, perhaps, but to me 'real' cheddar is at the very least, Balderson's. If I need some mac and cheese, I make my own, or if it is just me, sometimes I grab a Stouffers. As for Kraft: "Good food, and good food ideas." Hmm....something bothers me about that statement...."good food ideas" truly rings of a spooky lab where real food gets turned into some kind of zombiefied or otherwise mutated food, which is never ever "good".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 12:03 pm
Balderson is good, but MapleDale mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
0 Replies