Katherine Harris -- Still a Crook

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 08:04 am
Katherine Harris -- Still a Crook
Alan Dershowitz

Back in November 2000, while Katherine Harris was hard at work trying to suppress the voters' will by preventing a presidential election recount, I commented on Wolf Blitzer's program that the then-Florida Secretary of State was a crook. I thought it was significant that the person charged with handing Florida ballots was not only deeply entangled in the Bush campaign, but that she also had a history of corruption.

The backstory behind my allegation - entirely true and unchallenged - was that during Harris's 1994 state senate campaign, she had taken over $20,000 in illegal contributions. (The story was especially strange, given that Harris is independently wealthy. The University of Florida's football stadium is named after her grandfather.) Harris's campaign manager took the fall and was named an un-indicted co-conspirator in the subsequent criminal investigation that landed the corporate donor's founder in prison for five months. Two years later, Harris shamelessly sponsored a bill favorable to the offending corporation from which she had taken the $20,000 at the request of its lobbyists.

For pointing out Harris's seedy past I was subject to a barrage of abuse from the likes of The Washington Times ("When This is All Over, We Spray for Lawyers"), The Weekly Standard ("The Politics of Personal Destruction"), National Review ("Alan Dershowitz, Goofball"), and of course, various FoxNews shows.

Then, last Friday, the Boston Globe reported that Harris, now a congresswoman, faces the exact same charges and has offered up the same feeble defense as she did back in the '90s. Prosecutors are accusing Harris, among others, of accepting tens of thousands of dollars in illegal campaign contributions from defense contractor Mitchell Wade. "Wade then discussed getting specific defense appropriations with Harris and Goode or their staffs, according to court documents." The story goes on to relate an incident in which Wade and Harris met for a dinner costing $2,800, which Wade paid for, in violation of House ethics rules. Harris's excuse is that "she didn't eat or drink much at the dinner and that she thought her staff had paid for her share."

Katherine Harris, apparently, is the same crooked politician that she was in 1994 and 2000. The only difference is that back then, she was a state-level crook. Today she's a federal crook.

My e-mail for accepting apologies from my Republican critics is [email protected].
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 613 • Replies: 17
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 12:48 pm
BBB, Never cared for Alan Dershowitz's politics. He's an arse as far as I'm concerned.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 02:41 pm
I always look forward to Dershowitz' take on any legal issue, because whether I agree with him or not, he manages to put it in an interesting way. I also think he serves a very useful purpose in personifying the legal aspect of things to the viewing public, in a TV world where dueling spokesmen for various interest groups giving us rehearsed sound bites is what we mostly get to see.

The idea of Harris, the co-chairman of the Bush campaign in Florida being able to make post election recount decisions exemplifies the very meaning of the phrase, "conflict of interest". The endless stalling as the six weeks wound down without being able to agree on a recount was nothing short of a national disgrace.

If Harris gets what's coming to her, it couldn't happen to a more deserving person.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 01:28 am
In China, politicians as corrupt as Harris would be publically executed by shooting them in the head and their bodies thrown into a lime pit.

this is one of the few times I wish both Harris and I lived in China
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 10:41 am
kuvasz, While you're at it, bring Bush junior with you to China. I'll be forever grateful.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 11:14 am
Interesting that she can be so obviously guilty of theft, so much in the public eye, and not even be charged.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 12:08 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Interesting that she can be so obviously guilty of theft, so much in the public eye, and not even be charged.

and OJ Simpson was not a murderer either.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 12:29 pm
When the political system is wound up in one party, shet happens.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 12:44 pm
A $2,800 dinner???

Jesus.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 12:54 pm
nimh, That's not too surprising; I've seen a $3,000 bottle of wine at a restaurant in Singapore. I know they're over-priced, because they served me a glass of Jewel wine for $30 that costs $10 a bottle.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 06:30 pm
kuvasz wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Unlike Katherine Harris, OJ Simpson was charged with a crime, and tried for one. I find it improbable that a public figure with many enemies could be obviously guilty of theft and not even charged, and no grand jury ever convened. I think it's just wishful thinking on the part of her political opponents.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 07:32 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Unlike Katherine Harris, OJ Simpson was charged with a crime [..]. I find it improbable that a public figure with many enemies could be obviously guilty of theft and not even charged [..]. I think it's just wishful thinking on the part of her political opponents.

Brandon, did you see this in the original article?

Quote:
last Friday, the Boston Globe reported that Harris, now a congresswoman, faces the exact same charges and has offered up the same feeble defense as she did back in the '90s. Prosecutors are accusing Harris, among others, of accepting tens of thousands of dollars in illegal campaign contributions from defense contractor Mitchell Wade. "Wade then discussed getting specific defense appropriations with Harris and Goode or their staffs, according to court documents."
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 09:38 am
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 09:20 am
Another One Bites the Dust
Another One Bites the Dust
By Mary Ann Akers
Roll Call Staff
June 8, 2006

Surprise, surprise: More staff upheaval in the office of Rep. Katherine Harris (R-Fla.). The latest casualty is Fred Asbell, the chief of staff to the increasingly eccentric Senate candidate.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:03 am
kuvasz wrote:
In China, politicians as corrupt as Harris would be publically executed by shooting them in the head and their bodies thrown into a lime pit.

this is one of the few times I wish both Harris and I lived in China

LAMO Kusvaz, I'll second that!

Top Ten Reasons that Bill Nelson will Kick Katherine Harris's Ass in November!

http://www.mytown.ca/magginkat/

Good Riddance Tom Delay

http://proudliberalbitch.blogspot.com/
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:13 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Unlike Katherine Harris, OJ Simpson was charged with a crime, and tried for one. I find it improbable that a public figure with many enemies could be obviously guilty of theft and not even charged, and no grand jury ever convened. I think it's just wishful thinking on the part of her political opponents.

Brandon, there ought to be a law against such a bad case of self-imposed ignorance. How can you make such a comment and not fall off your own chair with laughter? Or did you?

You find it hard that a public figure could be obviously guilty and not be charged? Have you looked toward 1600 Pennsylvania Av. lately???
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 10:06 am
How's she doing in the makeup department today? Is she still in the running for the Tammy Faye Baker look alike award?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 07:59 am
FEC questions Harris donations
FEC questions Harris donations
Her staff may have made coding errors when processing money
By JEREMY WALLACE
[email protected]

The Federal Election Commission is questioning $60,000 in excess campaign donations to U.S. Rep. Katherine Harris, R-Longboat Key.

Harris, who was once in charge of Florida's campaign financing rules and twice has been singled out for accepting illegal campaign donations during previous runs for office, is examining her campaign reports after the FEC flagged donations above the legal limit.

"We are in receipt of the letter and are researching it," said Chris Ingram, spokesman for the Harris campaign.

Ingram said the FEC routinely sends out letters for additional information as part of its compliance efforts.

In a 12-page letter to Harris' new campaign treasurer, Keith A. Davis, FEC officials list 45 donors who gave Harris more than $2,100 for her Sept. 5 primary contest against three other Republicans. Federal campaign laws prohibit individuals from giving more than $2,100 for any election.

In two of the cases cited by the FEC, Harris accepted donations just $1 over the legal limit. In another 16 cases, Harris collected exactly $2,100 over the limit.

She took two donations of $6,300 each -- the largest donations she accepted from individuals -- $4,200 above the maximum limit.

"The acceptance of excessive contributions is a serious problem," FEC campaign finance analyst, Lauren Lien, writes in the letter to the Harris campaign committee. "Again, the committee's procedures for processing contributions should be examined and corrected in order to avoid this problem."

Lien wrote that the commission may take further legal action against the committee for violating the campaign limits, but will take into consideration prompt efforts to fix the situation.

It looks worse than it really appears, said Massie Ritsch, communications director for the Center for Responsive Politics, an independent, nonprofit group in Washington which monitors money in politics. Ritsch said it appears Harris' staff may have coded the donations incorrectly -- a common mistake in political campaigns.

Instead of assigning $2,100 in donations from some donors for use in the general election in November, the staff labeled the donations as primary donations.

In most cases, Harris' staff will only have to redesignate the excess money to the general election, Ritsch said. He said sloppy bookkeeping appears to be the main culprit.

But given all of the attention Harris' campaign has brought because of fundraising problems, he said, it's surprising they would make such a novice mistake.

Even though she has not yet won the Republican nomination, Harris can begin collecting donations specifically for the November race.

Harris has been breaking in new staff, including a new finance team, after most of her campaign staff quit while Harris was being pressured to abandon the race.

The departures this year included Nancy Watkins, the campaign treasurer who had worked on Harris' races since she first ran for Congress in 2002. Political insiders say Watkins is one of the most sought-after treasurers in politics because of her experience in complying with FEC regulations.

Ingram would not comment on specifics of the FEC inquiry or whether the errors were because of the staff transition. He said the staff is researching the issue and will respond to the FEC by the agency's July 10 deadline.

This isn't the first time Harris has had to answer for campaign donation problems.

This year a corrupt defense contractor admitted in federal court to giving Harris more than $32,000 in illegal campaign donations for her 2004 re-election campaign.

On the same day Mitchell Wade pleaded guilty to giving the illegal donations, Harris donated $50,000 in campaign donations tied to Wade and his company, MZM Inc., to a Sarasota charity, FEC records show.

Harris also received illegal contributions in 1994, when she was running for the Florida Senate. She accepted an estimated $30,000 in campaign contributions from a Sarasota company, Riscorp. In 1997, Riscorp executives were indicted for making the illegal contributions to Harris and other politicians.

In both instances, Harris said she did not know she was receiving illegal donations.

Harris was secretary of state in Florida for nearly four years, a job that included running the Division of Elections, which regulates state campaign finance laws.
0 Replies