Canadian Politics

Furio

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 08:22 am
Is the current trend towards the left in Canada indicative of a more general spread of anti-americanism?

Will Paul Martin be the next Prime Minister, and for how long?

Does the greater number of political parties involved in Canadian politics interfere with or support the democratic process.

How much does America hate us now. And why haven't I heard more about America's dissatisfaction with Mexico's pro-peace stance during Gulf War II?

Has the role of provinces in Canada become redundant?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 893 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 08:35 am
(I'm an American, so I just wanted you to have a little insight on a couple of your questions. There hasn't been a rise in anti-Canadianism where I reside. I think Mexico didn't suffer the negative backlash France did, because Mexico merely said, "No." France went about grandstanding, making a big show and flew around trying to convince others to join them. So, Canada and Mexico aren't held in the same distain reserved for the French, IMO.)

Will be reading to check out your contention of a move to the left in Canadian politics... and it's relationship to increasing anti-Americanism in Canada.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 09:00 am
Personally, I think the Liberals will take the election with a narrow margin. The PC's used to be the major second party, but I think this time around, it will be between the Liberals and the Alliance. However, I think that there is still enough opposition to some of the Alliance Party's more kooky right wing views and/or party members to give the Liberals a clean win.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 09:49 am
I wonder if "anti-Americanism" isn't one of those rabble-rousing, personalizing, guilt-inducing phrases which should be replaced in the interest of a level and rational discussion. Would "anti-imperialism" and/or "anti-authoritarianism" be more appropriate and more likely to promote debate?

Whichever the case, Canada seems to be a wonderful half-continent of sanity and remarkably tolerant of the arrogant nuts who've moved in next door.
0 Replies

Furio

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 04:03 pm
First of all, thank you all for actually responding, I really do appreciate your opinions. Quite frankly I didn't know if anyone would respond.

First of all, regarding the contentious use of anti-americanism. My purpose was not to give the impression that we're all gunning for the States up here, even though a few members of parliament seem to have very negative views of our neighbours to the south. However I think given America's unique status as the world's only superpower, Imperialism and authoritarianism are an inadequate description of America's foreign and domestic policies since they don't appear to be imperialistic like the european empires of old, and the American government only flirts with authoritarianism. Checks and balances in the government allow for democracy to survive. In my opinion, in the past ten years since the collapse of the Soviet Union, the world has dubbed the cultural, economic and military domination by the United States as "Americanism". Therefore it is that ideology that many in the world oppose. In Canada, I think the term "anti-Americanism" has more to do with the economic domination or loss of sovereignty some left wing Canadians believe we have suffered through for the past 15 years with free trade.

Concerning the upcoming election in Canada, my thought is that the NDP (which I support) will take away very few votes from Liberals in the next election, and the Progressive Conservatives and Canadian Alliance will again split the right-wing vote to allow the Liberal Party to sweep into power with a majority government for the 4th straight election.

And finally, the "anti-Canadianism" may be less present among actual Americans than in the American government. The recent cancellation of President Bush's annual visit to Canada is a warning sign that something is wrong, however the American ambassador has i think mentioned that the situation consists mainly of hurt feelings on the part of the American [government] and the wound may take a while to heal. My original question, although not well stated, was why did there appear to be no wounds with America's other neighbour and free trade partner, Mexico, while Mexico also opposed unilateral American action against Iraq?

That's still not clearly stated, but I'm just a newbie, give me time Smile .
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 04:23 pm
Furio-
1) I like you.
2) I think Bush dissed Canada, like a slap on the wrist. Whether it is judged childish or a teeny message, I don't think it will have any further ramifications. I expect France will be the only country to feel a real change in relations with the US, as fallout over Iraq. He may intend to sweat Germany a bit, but I don't anticipate a major change there, either.

I am enjoying your comments! Very Happy
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 04:52 pm
My 2 Cents :

Cent # 1. There can be no deep wounds among Nafta partners, because the things that unite us are more important than the things that divide us. Making too big of a fuss is really a luxury not even the USA can afford.
So what did Bush do? He cancelled the Cinco de Mayo celebrations at the White House. (As if we cared so much, the 5th of May is more a celebration for Mexicans in the other side of the border; not the independence, but a victory by a Texan general -born when Texas was part of Mexico- against the French invaders).
Our big agenda element -a migration agreement- has been postponed (and now the Republicans want our oil, in exchange, a very naïve thing). But it was postponed on Sept 11, 2001. Way before Mexico decided not to follow the US adventure in Iraq.

Cent # 2. Anti-imperialism and anti-americanism often get confused in some people's minds. That's a shame. The strategy of Mr. Bush and his cronies is one thing, the US -as a nation: people, institutions, culture, long term interests- is another. Our own future, our own interests and our own values are shared with the USA. We may be anti-imperialist. I think that's correct. We better not be anti-American.
0 Replies